Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Right out of college, I worked in a shop (I was the book keeper and the only office worker other than the accountant). I was the only woman... the place was full of men with their off color jokes as well as practical jokes. Even the male customers coming in were that way. It was the BEST work environment I ever worked it. It was fun.

I never had to work with a bunch of gossipy women. Maybe one or two in a large office, but not a lot. Then again, I tend to avoid that type and hang out with fellow nerds (male and female alike).
No joke, working with a bunch of men can be a hell of a lot of fun.

Things can get messy though when an attractive single woman gets added to the mix, or hell any attractive woman, married or not. Even if you're married, guys will still flirt with her and sometimes it will be pretty vulgar lol.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 PM

275 posts, read 773,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You said you were disappointed. That's probably where the comment about shallowness came from.

Why were you disappointed? Or was that an unfortunate choice of words?

I do agree that sometimes I wonder why a couple are attracted to one another when there is a huge disparity in looks.

Think of it this way, though... you know this guy from work. Perhaps knowing him and his personality has made him look even more attractive to you and others at work.

Who's to say that if you saw this woman in person and got to know her as well as you know her husband, you wouldn't find them to be a better match?

Just a thought or two.
Perhaps 'disappointment' was not the right word. Perhaps I am 'disappointed' at my own reaction. That got me thinking the larger question of why we sometimes react the way we do. Don't tell me on one here ever looked at a couple and said wth? In any case, I should have just asked the question without the example. Thank you for your respectful comment.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinions. No body is creating any hostile environment. In defense of the women at work, men also vye for his attention. He is not in my department but he is the star of his unit. Got two promotions in year and half so everyone expects him to go higher. Maybe I should have mentioned that. In any case, he was just an example to demonstrate a larger point. I am simply pointing out a short coming most of us have that we sometimes give reactions to mismatches in physical attractiveness that is not fair to the couple. But obviously you are perfect so good for you. And noone who knows me would ever say I am shallow.
The world is shallow and looks are king when it comes to choosing partners, but I think a lot of us exacerbate that 'shortcoming' as you call it.

What one person sees as a huge chasm in attractiveness between 2 people, another person sees as maybe no difference at all.

Send me a picture and I'll give you my opinion.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
To get back to the original point, in my experience women that are less attractive have learned to emphasize their personality. not always, but many.

Most men want a woman that looks up to them. treats them in a manner that makes them feel strong and special, that make a man feel like he is the best thing in her life, and aren't so self involved as many highly attractive women are.

A guy wants to feel that he is special in his woman's eyes, that she sees him as the mate she has chosen and is proud of. The man she is proud to have as the father of her children.

I could be completely off base, but from the guys I know, and I am one married nearly 25 years, the way the woman makes you feel is far more important than how she looks.

Physical appearance will get a woman noticed, and the first date, but when choosing a mate, a man wants someone that makes them feel good about themselves.

Weight can change, hair turns to grey, but a strong woman with a good sense of humor, that can make a man feel like a man, supportive, and instills a sense of confidence in the man that he can overcome anything for her and that she has an unwavering belief in him, that doesn't change and is worth far more than a swimsuit model on your arm.

I dated some women that were stunning, most were far more concerned with their appearance, their clothes, how others perceived them than they were about the man they were seeing.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
who cares? why do people always want to know why other people do what they do? they do just because they do, leave it alone

Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
In our society the better looking person is thought of as the better person or catch automatically its kinda sad..

Also illustrates how most women chase after the same small group of good looking men

Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
what is wrong with him? He could have done so much better. Also, why hide her from everyone at work?
He hides her photo so idiots in the office won't tell him he could have done so much better. He's probably heard it from his buddies too many times, he doesn't need people in the office thinking it. It's nobody's business, anyway. He probably couldn't find someone who was both gorgeous and had a wonderful, loving personality (this does happen), so he wisely chose the personality. MYOB.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-14-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
In our society the better looking person is thought of as the better person or catch automatically its kinda sad..

Also illustrates how most women chase after the same small group of good looking men
Ah yes.

The it could have been me syndrome.

My best friend is good looking and other women have bagged on his ex-GFs and wife to my face. One girl said his ex looked like a horse and questioned why he was dating her.

Personally, I thought the divide between him and all of his exes is pretty reasonable.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Everytime I see an attractive man with an unattractive female I automatically think he's definitely cheating on her. I'm friends with the two biggest horndogs and they are always cheating on their wife or gf. Most attractive men get a lot of attention and the majority don't stay faithful. I don't care what other posters say, but being a man I know when it comes to cheating a man is only as faithful as his options.

But back to your original situation OP, I can't help but think the fact the supervisor neglects to mention his wife at work just means to me he is hoping to get some extra action at the workplace. The less said about his wife the better opportunity it is for him to cheat.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
I was discussing this with my husband today. Do you think less of attractive man if he is dating/married to an unattractive woman? The issue came up because I have a supervisor at work. This guy is physically very attractive. He is tall, dark and really handsome. He has a great personality - very charming, social, real alpha male. Females at work are constantly vying for his attention. Only strange thing about this guy is that we have never met his wife. He does not bring her to any of the functions and despite many pictures of his children, he doesn't have a single picture of his wife in his office. So this has always been a source of speculation in the office. Well, recently I saw a picture of his wife and she is not really attractive at all. I am not a shallow person but I was shocked. The fact that he doesnt care about looks shows he really is a nice guy but part of me asks what is wrong with him? He could have done so much better. Also, why hide her from everyone at work? That would bother me if I was the wife. My husband and I are probably at same attractiveness level which is usually the case with most couples. I think when we see a really beautiful woman with an unattractive guy we assume he must be rich. Do you feel something is off with a guy who married an unattractive woman?
Let me ask you if this man you say is so good looking developed diabetes to where his body constantly bled (like a co-worker of mine has) would you and all the ladies swooning over him now continue to? His wife would probably stick with him though.

The other day as a customer was leaving a co-worker commented to me in a soft tone "did you see her butt, that was nice". I thought it was rather flat personally. Point is beauty is subjective often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships