Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 04:10 PM

887 posts, read 1,100,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
To the regular posters here on this forum, do you know or at least feel that you have made a positive impact on someone else life by posting here?

Has what others have posted here made a positive impact on your life?

Are you just here for entertainment and don't care either way?

I'm not trying to be sardonic. It's an honest question.
Before I read anyone else's post on here. Great question!!

I used to be on another forum between marriages, which I enjoyed the banter, interaction, humor, dating opportunities it created, (not doing that again). When I found myself alone again, I searched for another couple forums. This one drew me in because of all the diversity.

I do find this forum a bit harsh. I'm guilty of throwing out a snarky comment myself and I'm trying hard not to but, I get bored reading and writing the same posts. There aren't enough threads like this that cause a person to really think.

The things we do and say can have huge impacts on people with out us even realizing it. If I have helped any one with something I've written, that's great. In all honesty, I find my mindset when I am on here as very self absorbed.

I have read some GREAT posts!, and I enjoyed the impact they have had on me. Just based on writing, there seems to be some genuinely good, sensible, and kind people on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
To the regular posters here on this forum, do you know or at least feel that you have made a positive impact on someone else life by posting here?

By some messages I've received in the past, I think maybe in some small way I might have comforted someone. If nothing else, I've caused some to laugh and that is good enough for me as message boards go. Surely negatively affected a few.

Has what others have posted here made a positive impact on your life?

There have been a few people that have at times restored my faith in human kind around this place. I've encountered some really terrific people around these parts as well as some people that just like to hear themselves talk way too much on every pointless thread. Don't look at me.

Are you just here for entertainment and don't care either way?

Mostly,(oops that was for chat section and other cd areas in general,) but sometimes maintaining a smile when reading threads about the place undos a lot of that hope. Thankfully a break from the boards reminds where I was and that mostly it's less worst. This the place has been a great place to releave stress of the holidays, so though I've learned just how hateful so many hearts can be towards others, I've still found the place to be a place of comfort at some very trying moments.

We've had a thread like this in the past and it's nice to read again that some have benefited But, mostly I agree with some others in saying many of the threads just appear to be something along the lines of trolling attention oes.

Last edited by TRosa; 12-15-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
I have been educated and have educated. I also make sure all my doors are locked at night........

Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
I sure hope moderating this zoo helps SOMEBODY.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
I try to keep in mind that 90% of forum readers never post. And some of them are probably a lot more open to new ideas than some of the people who do post.

I try hard to help them.

I am also delighted to hear that Diss has found the advice here useful!

I have learned some stuff. People here are on average far more conservative than people I encounter locally / IRL. That has been an education. It's still kind of amazing to hear how insular people are, how they have no idea that the way things are done in their hometown are not the way they are done everywhere. And of course people keep saying that to me, too.

I want so badly to help the main crew of young guys here, who are so deeply distressed. I try to figure out how I can. But they are so rigid in their self-defeating beliefs, most of them.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times
Impact? Nothing.

It's a cluster of bored housewives, retired people and unemployed people exchanging reps and giving "advice".

The real use of C-D is in the state and city boards.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Impact? Nothing.

It's a cluster of bored housewives, retired people and unemployed people exchanging reps and giving "advice".

I'm not a housewife, I'm not retired, I work full time as an RN.

Try again

Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Impact? Nothing.

Already?

I'm a white-collar professional. I'm working on a 2nd master's degree. I'm not bored or a housewife and my advice is fabulous.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:51 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
I don't post thinking that I'd make a huge impact. I post to help and see what the other person wants, and help to point out aspects of their lives which make them miserable so that maybe they can find their own answers.

I think it depends on a person's intentions.

I don't expect CD to offer any life-altering advices. I think everyone deep down inside knows what they want, they really want affirmation for what they believe in and want, and they want empathy.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Impact? Nothing.

I'm at work. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships