Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times

Advertisements

Cold approaching has worked for me, but I need to be somewhere that I feel safe. Whole Foods is one of those places. I've had a couple of men cold approach me there, strike up a conversation and ask if we can have a coffee together in the Whole Foods café. It really depends upon the man's demeanor and how safe I feel at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
Yep, approach someone who looks like they are doing something less intense, like casual reading, people watching, etc. vs someone who is intensely studying or in general is sporting a frown or deep stare, at least in the case of a bookstore approach.
Bookstore and grocery store approaches are easy if there's a little cafe area or coffee bar in the building. Then it's easy to segue from a pleasant chat (assuming she's responding well, and seems interested) to buying her a coffee and sitting down to chat. Like Molli's post above illustrates.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Cold approaching has worked for me, but I need to be somewhere that I feel safe. Whole Foods is one of those places. I've had a couple of men cold approach me there, strike up a conversation and ask if we can have a coffee together in the Whole Foods café. It really depends upon the man's demeanor and how safe I feel at the time.
That opens up intriguing possibilities. At least Whole Food shoppers tend to be intelligent and at least okay-looking. Want to share basic details about yourself (such as age, extraversion, and basic level of attractiveness)? Or the attractiveness level one of those guys must have in order to accept? Has it ever led to actual dating?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That opens up intriguing possibilities. At least Whole Food shoppers tend to be intelligent and at least okay-looking.

Guess where all the creeps will head now, pretending to shop for certified organic blah-de-blah.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,019 times
I did laundry at the laundry mat yesterday. Women dig a guy who does his own laundry, I flirted with several, if I was ready to date, it was rife with opportunity. Pick a laundry mat near a college, and I can't see how you can't get something going on

Old 01-28-2014, 11:31 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Guess where all the creeps will head now, pretending to shop for certified organic blah-de-blah.
Not just organic now Wmsn, artisanal heirloom magical rainbow organic. They don't call it whole paycheck for nothing.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
I recently posted an event on Meetup, had a guy RSVP for it and then send me a message asking about dinner sometime. Now, as an organizer for the group, I get a lot of vague requests like this from people who are suggesting events they'd like to see posted. So I asked what he had in mind. I don't get approached for dates so I figured it was 50/50 as to whether he was asking me out or asking I post a dinner event.

We went back and forth but didn't end up meeting because he was looking for a FWB, and I'm not. Plus, he's 30 and wasn't expecting "I just turned 40" when he asked how old I am. My Meetup profile picture was taken at the end of September but apparently, I look younger than I am in it.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
pretty much all my past relationships outside of my wife have started from cold approaches

Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Cold approaching worked for me insomuch as I went on a lot of dates (and then some ) with some of them.

I semi-cold approached my wife. She worked at a Boston Market that I went to sometimes. Then she quit. Months later I went in and she was in there saying hello to a friend. We recognized each other and I struck up a conversation with her. We went on a nice date a couple days later but circumstances weren't right for us at that time. But 8 months later we tried again and haven't split up yet!

I definitely think cold approaching is something to do with extreme caution though, and only if you are confident in yourself and your ability to read body language and detect signals. I didn't have a set formula as every situation was a little different. But generally I would try to make some benign small talk to gauge how receptive one was. If that went smoothly (and I was pretty careful about who I would approach, so it usually did) I would introduce myself and continue the conversation as the situation called for. More often than not I was successful, but again I stress how I was very selective about who I would approach. And developing that judgment is probably one of the most vital aspects to cold approaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships