Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sometimes the "flirting" is like a compliment to boost someone's ego. You know what I am saying? Not an invitation to get in my pants.

That's the only reason I flirt with people that I am not trying to date (or ever did, even back when I was single).

Just a boost to their ego... a pleasant exchange. That is IT.

Which is why it's not a secret from my spouse, but there again, I rarely do it in front of him because he is usually attracting my attention while we are out and about in public.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I think it's ok for married people to be flirty friendly, but not flirty suggestive.

yeah... I think this thread has made me realize that one person's flirty is probably my definition of "trying to make a pass."

Which.. NO. I don't do that. Why would I? I'm married. Sheeesh.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Yeah, those tend to be the immature ones (like me sometimes). It can be messy.

I had an exchange like this recently.

Online, I often wink after comments (happens on FB pretty often). Because I joke around quite a bit.

I had a guy that I know through mutual friends ask me if I was married.

I dunno why he didn't just read my profile (but, it was no big deal).

I was like "Yep! I'm off the market!"

To which he replied "know any good single women now? I'm looking!"

It was all pretty funny. He's a great guy. I told him I would keep my eyes open for some.

And I will.

And I still wink after comments I make to him, and he fully grasps that I'm taken, but I enjoy chatting with him, trust me.

LOL.

See? This is your response if you find out a woman is unavailable after she's been somewhat flirty around you.

Keeps things friendly. And the fun part about just joking around with married friends is it gives you more opportunities to be social with women in a "safe" environment, because you aren't trying to date any of them.

Naturally, if you meet their husbands and the husbands are crazed, jealous lunatics, you'll wanna put some distance in there, but that's not likely to be the norm with a woman that has been very clear with you that she's not interested in you beyond a friendly sort of interaction.

People really need to mean what they say, I tell you!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People who are going to misunderstand you are likely going to do so no matter what you do.
Just for acting like a decent person. Just for smiling. Just for picking up something you dropped.
Those people are a lost case.
That's the absolute truth.

They'll think you're too nice.

Or too mean.

Or too friendly.

Or not friendly enough.

There should be more classes on socializing.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not true. There's a big difference between intentionally flirting, and just being decent, pleasant, or casually helpful. A BIG difference!

Only if you misunderstand things... I think that's what was meant.

Like... you could just smile and tell a person to have a good day and they might think you're hitting on them.

And you could do the very same thing with another person and they'd just think you were being friendly.

We cannot get in another person's head and fully know their intent every time. We have to go on social cues.

Some people struggle with interpreting social cues.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:44 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Like... you could just smile and tell a person to have a good day and they might think you're hitting on them.

And you could do the very same thing with another person and they'd just think you were being friendly.

We cannot get in another person's head and fully know their intent every time. We have to go on social cues.

Not only that, but there is some gray area. While some people may frequently have their cues misinterpreted (meaning they're probably sending out the wrong cues) and other people may frequently misinterpret cues, there are also plenty of cases where normal misunderstanding/misinterpretation happens between two people who are normally fine communicators. There isn't always an obvious party to blame when flirting is misinterpreted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
I had an exchange like this recently.

Online, I often wink after comments (happens on FB pretty often). Because I joke around quite a bit.

It was all pretty funny. He's a great guy. I told him I would keep my eyes open for some.

And I will.

And I still wink after comments I make to him, and he fully grasps that I'm taken, but I enjoy chatting with him, trust me.

LOL.

See? This is your response if you find out a woman is unavailable after she's been somewhat flirty around you.

Keeps things friendly. And the fun part about just joking around with married friends is it gives you more opportunities to be social with women in a "safe" environment, because you aren't trying to date any of them.

Naturally, if you meet their husbands and the husbands are crazed, jealous lunatics, you'll wanna put some distance in there, but that's not likely to be the norm with a woman that has been very clear with you that she's not interested in you beyond a friendly sort of interaction.

People really need to mean what they say, I tell you!

YOU JUST DID IT AGAIN!!!

(Develops another crush)

But yeah, I don't fault the woman I develop crushes for and think I have a chance with. In many cases, she is not actually flirting, just being friendly (to a greater extent). But I'm now off the market as well, for now.

And I'm good at being friendly.

I think it can be more common for men who have very little experience with women to start making assumptions. (I know, No s--- sherlock!)

Otherwise, as long as I don't Assume things, I should have fun.

Yuh's ain't there's until yuh there's, I tell you!

BTW, Your man is very fortunate to have you, and I'm sure it is likewise for you.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:

Hey!!! How'd you know my nickname

I think for some people, they can pick up on some social cues, but other cues are beyond their grasp. Some people also deal with wishful thinking due to being lonely.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:51 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:

And I will.
That's cute.

What I've come to learn from some of the guys on this board is that they'd take that as a devastating rejection rather than thinking nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Nope. Married women flirt with me a lot, and it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships