Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 PM

214 posts, read 382,795 times

Advertisements

My bf and I have been dating for two months and we are happy. Im proud of my bf and tell people I know about him. Even before we got into a relationship, when people ask me if Im dating someone I always say yes and that Im dating a great guy. The thing is people I know think Im very attractive so they are curious about the guys I date. They will sometimes encourage me to date their friends or guys they work with.

Since my bf and I officially became bf/gf, when people ask about If Im dating anyone I tell them that I have a bf and not free to date anyone else anymore. Then they ask me to see my bfs picture. Like I said I don't hide him so I show pictures of us together. Then people start making comments that he isn't bad looking but I look more attractive than him. They say it in different other ways but the meaning is the same, we don't have the same level of attractiveness. Some even say that I could do better. Some suggests that I should keep dating and not commit to him. Some has tried to convince me that the other guys I was seeing are better ( I was multi-dating). At first it didn't bother me but the more people say it the more it makes me think if they were right. I feel that I always have to convince them that my bf makes me happy, makes me laugh, treats me really well and those are the things that make him attractive in my eyes.

I agree he is not that attractive physically but I like him a lot and like being around him. I miss him everyday were not together. Today, he drove 35miles one way just so he can take me out for dinner. I told him he doesn't have to because he's gonna hit traffic on the way back but he insisted. He isn't maybe the most handsome guy Ive dated but he is a great guy and treats me like a princess. And no matter what other people say Im not going to break up with him. How do I make people understand that? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,036 times
What makes you so much more attractive than him?

I want you to say it in words. Put in words, as in, describe what makes your eyes, nose, and mouth so much more perfect than his.

Brainstorm exercise.

Go!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 AM

214 posts, read 382,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
What makes you so much more attractive than him?

I want you to say it in words. Put in words, as in, describe what makes your eyes, nose, and mouth so much more perfect than his.

Brainstorm exercise.

Go!
I did not say I am more attractive. Other people said it. To me he is very attractive in his own way. Thats why Im with him.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
This story sounds completely made up or like another man (who likes you- surprise!) has said.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:17 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This story sounds completely made up.
I hope that you are right.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Who are all these "people" and why do you care what they think?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Who care what anyone else thinks? I has a couple friends say similar things to me in college. I just told them that the guys were hot to me. Attraction is based on more than just physical appearances.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I'm really starting to think you like making up problems.

Some people thrive on controversy, and you seem to be one of those, like you can't be happy if things are going well.

At any rate, the solution to your non-problem is simple: It doesn't matter what others think.

UNLESS...

You are so insecure about your own self-image that you LET the opinions of others guide your decisions. It's called a reflected sense of self.

Do you like him? You've spent enough time writing threads here on HOW to make him your BF, so I guess so.

If YOU like him, tell those who say such insulting things that you don't appreciate it. Live your own life.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
I realize people date or marry "down" according to what others think. It's not uncommon for women to date or marry an average looking man or a man who is not as attractive as they are. However, what matters most is how you feel, and whether you're attracted to your partner. That's it. Pay no mind to what other people say.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
My bf and I have been dating for two months and we are happy. Im proud of my bf and tell people I know about him. Even before we got into a relationship, when people ask me if Im dating someone I always say yes and that Im dating a great guy. The thing is people I know think Im very attractive so they are curious about the guys I date. They will sometimes encourage me to date their friends or guys they work with.

Since my bf and I officially became bf/gf, when people ask about If Im dating anyone I tell them that I have a bf and not free to date anyone else anymore. Then they ask me to see my bfs picture. Like I said I don't hide him so I show pictures of us together. Then people start making comments that he isn't bad looking but I look more attractive than him. They say it in different other ways but the meaning is the same, we don't have the same level of attractiveness. Some even say that I could do better. Some suggests that I should keep dating and not commit to him. Some has tried to convince me that the other guys I was seeing are better ( I was multi-dating). At first it didn't bother me but the more people say it the more it makes me think if they were right. I feel that I always have to convince them that my bf makes me happy, makes me laugh, treats me really well and those are the things that make him attractive in my eyes.

I agree he is not that attractive physically but I like him a lot and like being around him. I miss him everyday were not together. Today, he drove 35miles one way just so he can take me out for dinner. I told him he doesn't have to because he's gonna hit traffic on the way back but he insisted. He isn't maybe the most handsome guy Ive dated but he is a great guy and treats me like a princess. And no matter what other people say Im not going to break up with him. How do I make people understand that? Thank you.

Why would you want to waste your time doing that?

Ask yourself, "self, why do I care at all what other people think about me and my choices?".

That's the very important question you need an answer to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships