Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you been in a serious relationship but have never been on a date
I Have dated and have had a serious relationship 12 75.00%
I have Never dated and have had a serious relationship 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
At 16 you spent the night at his place? How old was he? Was this ok with your parents?

The plot thickens.

I was in college, and yes it was ok.

I forgot that, too, is not normal for this forum. Feel free to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
I definitely see a pattern here and I think that some people just like to project an image of themselves as being atypical no matter the issue/topic/situation. Perhaps they believe it makes them seem more interesting.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,183,246 times
I have gone out with quite a few men before meeting and marrying my husband. I have been on "dates". They were never very interesting. The best relationships that I had came from meeting people organically as I went about my life, whether the relationship was a FWB or a traditional relationship. I was lucky that my FWBs were FRIENDS. Friends first, friends still with some fun gravy on the side.

Now we call what we do when we leave the kids with the in-laws "date night". They don't look super different than any other night except the kids are not there. We eat out plenty as a family as well.

So overall dating was the teeniest portion of my romantic interaction as a younger person.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
I have dated and had serious relationships. However, my serious relationships did not begin with "dating," at least as it is commonly practiced today (a period of casual or "feeling someone out before becoming serious/exclusive").

Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOLOLOL. I actually had a girlfriend "borrow" him one Friday night.

There was a movie they were both dying to see that I just did not want to see at all.

They went together and we all still joke about their famous "date"

I loan mine out as well, actually it wasn't a real loan it was more of a barter.
She got him for the afternoon and I got cookies......winners all around.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:30 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I definitely see a pattern here and I think that some people just like to project an image of themselves as being atypical no matter the issue/topic/situation. Perhaps they believe it makes them seem more interesting.

And some people are so committed to telling the absolute truth that they will do it no matter how prolonged and vicious the attacks become, in the hope that it will help someone someday.

I am beginning to doubt whether I am that person, though. The accusations by people I previously admired and respected are the most painful.

I see there are 5 us us now, in the never-dated category.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
And some people are so committed to telling the absolute truth that they will do it no matter how prolonged and vicious the attacks become, in the hope that it will help someone someday.

I am beginning to doubt whether I am that person, though. The accusations by people I previously admired and respected are the most painful.

So you are being "viciously attacked" because your experience is not that of the majority and we have the audacity to comment on a thread that YOU created to discuss your atypical romantic life. My, now that's rich.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,418 times
Quote:

Based upon the definition generically used by me and almost everyone I have ever discussed dating with, you Nila, have been on a date.

I believe you define a date differently than most people.
This isnt an attack on you.

You have been on a date.

Can we leave that alone now and move on ?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
I was in college, and yes it was ok.

I forgot that, too, is not normal for this forum. Feel free to ignore it.
I'm not attacking you, but to me, 16 yr old girls have no business spending the night at a guys house...... You might have been more advanced or smarter and have been in college, but I don't think the average 16 yr old girl is equipped to deal with all of the stuff associated with sexual activities and staying at boys/mens houses...

Preggers is always a big one, and yes, I know that there is adoption/abortion, but I'm talking about the emotional tolls that have to be paid with such decisions...

Getting outside the scope of the thread here.....

Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not attacking you, but to me, 16 yr old girls have no business spending the night at a guys house...... You might have been more advanced or smarter and have been in college, but I don't think the average 16 yr old girl is equipped to deal with all of the stuff associated with sexual activities and staying at boys/mens houses...

Preggers is always a big one, and yes, I know that there is adoption/abortion, but I'm talking about the emotional tolls that have to be paid with such decisions...

Getting outside the scope of the thread here.....
The OP may have grown up outside the US. In parts of Europe it's not unusual for teens to spend the night together even in the parental home. We also don't know if anything sexual happened (yes, teens do have sleepovers and camp-outs where nothing happens!). And not all 16-year-old girls are the same. Lots of unknowns, here. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships