Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 AM

624 posts, read 1,068,742 times

Advertisements

Husband making X per year before marriage. Wife did not bring any income and was a stay at home throughout whole marriage. (Approx 15 yrs). Two kids. Now husband is making 2X. They live in Il. I understand their problems are bigger than finances but husband (my buddy) is wondering about finances at this time. They are immigrant family limited English.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:01 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,769,194 times
See a family lawyer. Too many variables to provide any substantive - hell even speculative advice.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,096,923 times
If she has a halfway decent lawyer, she'll probably get half of the assets, child support, keep the house (if they have one), and get permanent alimony. Pretty bad deal for your friend.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:15 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,169,949 times
he will get taken to the cleaners and become an alimony slave like the other 42 million divorced men. welcome to america we used to call our selves land of the free home of the brave.we need to be less brave and more smart if we want to be free. the smart men i know avoid divorce at any cost.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,164,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
he will get taken to the cleaners.
Then chewed up and spit out.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,948,192 times
Pretty bad deal for guys who divorce usually. Assume he's going to lose half of everything at least.

Women usually suffer emotionally and they usually get the kids.

On a side note which is related to the topic but has nothing to do with this situation: I've seen a lot of women jump for joy after 10 years of marriage and watching the husband prosper financially, only to be taken to get completely ransacked by the woman who is basically partying every night and can't wait to take her ex husband's money. Probably the scariest thing about marriage since I've watched women do 180s, like they planned this happening years ago with a friend or 2 or something. Not that I have much, but it's still scary to think about.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM

32,528 posts, read 47,585,883 times
The children are still underage, sot there will be child support.

The wife staying at home gave the whole system support so that the husband could go out and concentrate on earning. It's not like she didn't do anything, to be fired like a hourly wage housekeeper who is no longer wanted, with no severance package.

Tell your friend that he will save a lot of money by going home and putting a lot of effort into saving the marriage.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 AM

From what I understand, buddy does not want to divorce but his wife is not happy and wants out. Just to clarify, is it posdible for my friend to lose more than half his current income in support and alimony? Or is he looking at sharing only the money made after wedding?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM

Also if you know of any examples of finances after divorce that would help also. Thanks

Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,778,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
From what I understand, buddy does not want to divorce but his wife is not happy and wants out. Just to clarify, is it posdible for my friend to lose more than half his current income in support and alimony? Or is he looking at sharing only the money made after wedding?
It's definitely possible. Depends on a ton of factors, but if you're looking for a "worst case" scenario....yes, 50%+ of his current income could easily go to awards + child support + alimony. In addition, there's taxing situations as well...he could end up paying taxes on some/all of the money before she gets it, making it effectively greater than 50%.

Terrible situation for your buddy to be in, and I sympathize. The system is not kind to men.

So there's your WORST case scenario. As mentioned before, a ton of factors involved, but a more likely scenario would be something like:

She gets half of current assets.
She gets alimony for ~7-15 years, likely based on his "during-marriage" income, not his "current income"
She gets the kids, and child support until they are of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships