Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It's not that I don't want to spend money, it's that I'd rather spend it on a partner.

I have no doubt that you will be partnerless with this attitude.

I have no doubt that this is also a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:35 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
I went on a date once with a man who said he was taking me to one of the nicest restaurants in town. I wasn't expecting this, and actually felt pretty excited, until he told me we were just going there for drinks and then to a less expensive place to eat. Womp womp.

The point is, no one likes a cheapskate. I guess I'm one of those "independent women" because I insist on paying at least my half if not the whole tab when I go out. That being said, it takes away from the experience when you demand the woman pay her way, because YOU are not sure if you like her or not. Why go on a date in the first place? I make more money than my boyfriend but he's very gracious and insists on paying when he can, and I admire him for that.

Bottom line? Don't take the romance out of dating by insisting on a $10 cap. If money is an issue, it means you need to put more work in to be more creative. Any decent woman will appreciate a sweet, cost-less romantic gesture over an expensive meal.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have no doubt that you will be partnerless with this attitude.
Agreed. Women pick up on cues like this. A huge red flag. I would go screaming in the other direction

Old 12-30-2013, 11:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I know we have a lot of threads in which certain men have voiced their complaints about having to pay for taking women on a date. I, on the other hand, don't mind paying for a date, as long as the date is cheaper than 10 dollars, total, after taxes. I refuse to take out women I am not in a relationship with to movies and restaurants, given the fact that I will be paying for some strangers meal who will probably never even return the favor, let alone guarantee a fun date. That said, if a woman offers to take me to a fancy place, I will insist on paying my share. Also said is that I wouldn't mind paying for better things in a serious relationship, even going as far as paying for a woman to be at home while the kids are not yet attending school.
The cost of the date is not important but I would not want to go anywhere with someone with the attitude that they are paying for some strangers meal and probably wont get anything in return for it.

As for the bolded, you mean your ok with free daycare for your children?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I don't really care as long as we get to do something active and aren't always at his place "watching a movie".
Explain to me what's wrong with "at his place "watching a movie"".

A date to the theater is expensive. Tickets are 15 dollars EACH. Popcorn and carbonated beverages easily put the bill the man has to pay over 50 dollars. All this money towards a woman a man will not have chemistry with and not see again. That's in addition to dealings with bad seating, cell phone users, and all that other crap you deal with going to watch a movie at the theater.

Meanwhile, if you spend time "at his place "watching a movie"", the movie is 5 dollars (which can be paused, watched with subtitles, etc.), the snack and beverage can be of your choice for a cheap price, and you can be situated comfortably on the couch.

If the woman is in a relationship with me, I would be happy going to a Broadway show, but this is a woman I don't even know that I am talking about here.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

A date to the theater is expensive. Tickets are 15 dollars EACH. Popcorn and carbonated beverages easily put the bill the man has to pay over 50 dollars. All this money towards a woman a man will not have chemistry with and not see again. That's in addition to dealings with bad seating, cell phone users, and all that other crap you deal with going to watch a movie at the theater.

Meanwhile, if you spend time "at his place "watching a movie"", the movie is 5 dollars (which can be paused, watched with subtitles, etc.), the snack and beverage can be of your choice for a cheap price, and you can be situated comfortably on the couch.

If the woman is in a relationship with me, I would be happy going to a Broadway show, but this is a woman I don't even know that I am talking about here.

Oh wow, 50 whole dollars.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
<snip much cool info>
She told me that she thought the date at the airport was the absolute coolest, most original thing she had done. She was DONE with cheesy dinner-and-a-movie dates. And also said that she appreciated that I didn't make a pass at her and was a total gentleman the entire evening.

Remember what I said in the beginning. This gal was a knockout and no doubt had heard every possible cheesy pickup line imaginable.

There was no doubt in my mind I could've gotten her within one, two more dates tops had I pursued her.

But like I said. For all her beauty, I just wasn't comfortable around her. Her looks intimidated me and I found it difficult to talk to her. So I broke things off.

My point to all this is that my attempt to bore her away backfired big time. But the night only cost me maybe $25 for dinner. I don't even remember where we ate at.
Buddy, part of me applauds you for being a gentleman, and part of me...doesn't!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh wow, 50 whole dollars.
Do I look rich to you?

I make a decent amount of income, but I have other financial obligations to attend to.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:

I think she literally meant what she said, aren't ALWAYS "at his place watching a movie" (always meaning it's the only thing you do with the woman on every single date). Nothing is wrong with watching a movie at home like you said, just spice it up with a few different kind of dates.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think she literally meant what she said, aren't ALWAYS "at his place watching a movie" (always meaning it's the only thing you do with the woman on every single date). Nothing is wrong with watching a movie at home like you said, just spice it up with a few different kind of dates.
I see it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships