Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
First off, I will not go out with a man who thinks he is buying something when he pays for a date. It is not an exchange. A man takes me out because he enjoys my company, or I am not interested in seeing him.

I've been on lots of great dates that cost the man very little.

I've been over a hundred times to the pits at the car races, where "date" food was a cooler full of sodas on ice. A dozen times to the back fence of the rodeo, where his only "investment" was his entry fee. Again a cooler of sodas and maybe a barbecue afterwards with his friends.

Hikes in the mountains, meal a granola bar and a bottle of water. Watching surfing contests, going for a swim in the ocean, horse back riding, museums and the planetarium (which costs an entry fee, but it is small)

I've been to barbecues and get-togethers at his friends' houses, where all his buddies are getting together and having a good time.

Not actually a date, but I've spent many hours sitting on a curb and handing tools under the car while we chat. That can be quality together time for no cost.

I've been to the state fairs and horse shows and horse races, none of which were terribly expensive.

I've been for walks and bonfires on the beach. No cost. Feeding the ducks. No cost. Paddle boat, very little cost. Sailing on the bay, not much cost unless he has rented the sailboat, but I assume that he enjoyed having the boat and sailing, so he got something for his money.

I've been star gazing, out to watch sporting competitions, watched the farm teams and college teams in baseball and football (and real professional games where I know the tickets cost big bucks, but yes, he enjoyed the game and thought the ticket price was worth it)

Picnics, free concerts, free lectures at the university, apple picking, long drives in the country. "hunting" with cameras.....

Come on guys, seriously, you should be able to think of something that doesn't involve a sit down meal at an expensive restaurant and mixed drinks from the bar.
Do you have any cold beer's in the cooler??........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:26 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think younger women, women in the teens and very early 20's might not care as much, as most people don't have much money at that age.

I doubt you'd find an older woman that would be content with a McDonalds happy meal... course, I could be wrong.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think younger women, women in the teens and very early 20's might not care as much, as most people don't have much money at that age.

I doubt you'd find an older woman that would be content with a McDonalds happy meal... course, I could be wrong.
I wouldn't be happy with McDonald's, no. I would however be happy not having it be a dinner date, and just walk on the beach and have ice cream, or walk around a city and have a coffee or something. Cheap doesn't have to be cheesy, and every date doesn't have to be about dinner (just make sure she knows the plan in advance).

Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wouldn't be happy with McDonald's, no. I would however be happy not having it be a dinner date, and just walk on the beach and have ice cream, or walk around a city and have a coffee or something. Cheap doesn't have to be cheesy, and every date doesn't have to be about dinner (just make sure she knows the plan in advance).

Agreed.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Also, If I hardly know a guy I might not be comfortable being alone with him at his place.
You know, if'n he is fresh, you would just whup his hiney......

Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

I think Mcdonalds is a pretty obvious no-go for anyone of any age...The setting lack everything that has anything to do with romance...

In general fast-food franchises is just not on the map, unless the main date was a concert and you go there afterwards because both are damned hungry.

In general i think anyone can afford buying a coffee for the other, and should use that option unless they have the bankroll to be buying a proper restaurant dinner without feeling like they're bleeding cash.

That said there are some sports-barfranchises etc that offer fairly semi-private booths, a bit darker more "grown up" lighting/setting and music that imo would do fine, even if it's nowhere enar being called "high-end".
An advantage there is that you can always point a finger and give some comment on the hokcey/football game on display on a tv-monitor if you run out of conversation. They also usually have alkohol rights, and some fair selection of spirits/wines, and while I'm not proposing getting drunk on a date everyone knows a glas of wine or beer can losen the tounge just enough on both ends to improve odds...

Old 12-30-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I think Mcdonalds is a pretty obvious no-go for anyone of any age...The setting lack everything that has anything to do with romance...

In general fast-food franchises is just not on the map, unless the main date was a concert and you go there afterwards because both are damned hungry.

In general i think anyone can afford buying a coffee for the other, and should use that option unless they have the bankroll to be buying a proper restaurant dinner without feeling like they're bleeding cash.

That said there are some sports-barfranchises etc that offer fairly semi-private booths, a bit darker more "grown up" lighting/setting and music that imo would do fine, even if it's nowhere enar being called "high-end".
An advantage there is that you can always point a finger and give some comment on the hokcey/football game on display on a tv-monitor if you run out of conversation. They also usually have alkohol rights, and some fair selection of spirits/wines, and while I'm not proposing getting drunk on a date everyone knows a glas of wine or beer can losen the tounge just enough on both ends to improve odds...
The OP said something about spending less than 10 bucks....but yeah, a coffee shop would fit that bill too...... just go easy and don't get the frappy-dappy-mocha-lotto-whippitidy-do dah version and they should do ok.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Do you have any cold beer's in the cooler??........
The bull riders and race car drivers never drink while they are competing and I never drink alcohol. Afterwards, if there is a party, or a barbecue, or when there is something like a soft ball game with their friends, there will be beer and I will be the designated driver.

It is not necessary to have booze in order to have a good time.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
............to pay over 50 dollars. All this money towards a woman a man will not have chemistry with.........

"at his place "watching a movie"", the movie is 5 dollars ..........and you can be situated comfortably on the couch. ............but this is a woman I don't even know that I am talking about here.
And no woman that you don't even know is going to accept a date to be comfortable on the couch with a man she knows nothing about. It has nothing to do with how cheap the date it. It is a common sense issue. So, if you have been expecting strangers to come and sit on your couch in your house with you, that explains why you are getting turned down for first dates.

You, know, there us a way to guarantee that your $50 is going to get you some "chemistry". It might take you to a bad part of town, but won't take long. You pay your money and get what you want.

As for dating, if you are going into the date expecting to get your money's worth, you aren't going to appeal to very many women, and for good reason, I might add.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
Even McDonalds can be an acceptable date...under certain circumstances! Just hear me out! You have to be creative with it!

To have some lighthearted fun, a woman and I who love dressing formally everywhere decided to have a dinner date at McDonalds. We showed up in a horse driven chariot, I wore a dinner tailcoat tux and she wore an evening ball gown.

We sat down at a table, I pulled out some candles, and I motioned for one of the employees to bring us a menu. He actually did, and ended up taking our order and bringing it out to us! A violinist in the area was down with playing a song while we had our dinner date at McDonalds. We danced outside in the parking lot under the moonlight and the horse chariot brought us to an ice cream parlor for desert.

It was quite unforgettable, I left the McDonalds employee who was a good sport a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships