Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Most clubs are a breeding ground for dramma. Girls go to get attention, while guys go to hit on chicks or get in fights. There is almost always more women than men in a dance club because most guys hate dancing, However, the guys that are desperate enough to clubbing from my experience tend to be complete tools

my 2 cents
You haven't been to many have you?

Many men are great dancers and I had a hard time keeping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What kind of dancing are you talking about? Salsa, swing and folkdancing still have strong followings. Salsa dancing is so popular there are often several studios or instructors offering it in each city. Somebody just DM'd me he's taking his first date linedancing. But as for nightclubs, I think the better question might be: do people dance in couples anymore? When it comes to mainstream contemporary music, people seem to dance alone more than they do with someone, at some places.
^ I agree, those types of dance places are widely represented, but I myself love to free style. I did have a gentleman that use to chase me around the place trying to get me to salsa and ballroom style dance with him whenever we went out group dancing, but, due to my vertigo the spinning just wasn't conducive to that style of dancing. He was a persistent little bugger though, so I did oblige one time, but that just wasn't enough and he was always barking at my heels. Other that little annoyance, he was a lovely man.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Club TV Philadelphia @ Egypt Night Club - YouTube

Club Egypt was my old place where I danced when I was young.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I don't mind so much when I've gone with a group of age like friends, though when going with younger friends it can be a little uncomfortable because those guys at some of those places are a bit too aggressive even toward those of us that over the hill. LOL The trick I guess is make sure I go with people my own age.

I did go dancing a couple of weeks ago, but it was more of a private event and the music was mostly old timey with a few up-to-date tunes thrown in, I got sick of all the old stuff and asked the DJ if he was going to brings things up to date at some point. I think we got three somewhat 2013 songs most of the rest were 70's.

70's had some great music..

i was recently at a function with a dj, just as you said,,
a couple young folks asked for some more recent songs,,
so i asked him to put on stacey's mom (song)
and three mothers came over and said they hated this song and stick to the oldies... quite comical

thats a generation divide right there-music,,,that will keep me away from any young night clubs
I can only think of 3-4 songs i like in the past decade...but love classic rock!

its a good question,,,people-couples use to plan on going dancing years ago...
i think many choose not to go to a club,,because 2-3 drinks,,you can get a dui

and she was a dancing, and movin, and groovin to the music .............

Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I was out at a club last night with a group of friends. The music was great, the crowd ranged from 18 to 60+. Of course it was a gay club, which I highly recommend for straight people who like to dance and want to avoid a meat market.
I've been to a few of those years past, but we don't get those out here. The music was almost always so much better.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
did twice yesterday.btw i am old and do ball room dancing. but to go out and dance i mean really dance you gota take lessons.
"dance" has degenerated, now it means get drunk and jump up and down.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
70's had some great music..

i was recently at a function with a dj, just as you said,,
a couple young folks asked for some more recent songs,,
so i asked him to put on stacey's mom (song)
and three mothers came over and said they hated this song and stick to the oldies... quite comical

thats a generation divide right there-music,,,that will keep me away from any young night clubs
I can only think of 3-4 songs i like in the past decade...but love classic rock!

its a good question,,,people-couples use to plan on going dancing years ago...
i think many choose not to go to a club,,because 2-3 drinks,,you can get a dui

and she was a dancing, and movin, and groovin to the music .............
I'm not fond of 70's music, 80's 90's I could get by on especially some of the euro 80's bands, but 70's I can't find a seat fast enough. And funny the you mention about that scenario you mentioned, when the dj at the event I was at was playing the 2013 music, I women did complain and say why aren't they playing the old stuff, my heart sank. I was having a good time dancing with an English woman that was as much into the newer sounds as myself. Most of the group preferred the old stuff, so guess the dj was giving them what they wanted. It's one of the reasons I wasn't out celebrating with them New Year's Eve, that were at a fantastic place, but I knew what the music would be and I would just be bored to tears. Last time, I ended up putting my ear plugs on listening to my own music. Not good.

Last edited by TRosa; 01-01-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
did twice yesterday.btw i am old and do ball room dancing. but to go out and dance i mean really dance you gota take lessons.

I actually enjoy watching a couple ballroom dance,,,the tango and such,..

years ago at clubs , it was funny watching sober guys dance,,the junior high two step.. but woman,,,they seem to be programmed for dancing,,likes it on their hard-drive...comes natural to them

today, (dancing) its unbelievable ...its body on body -dry humping,,,, where the heck was this when i was younger??

Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I'm not fond of 70's music, 80's 90's I could get by on especially some of the euro 80's bands, but 70's I can't find a seat fast enough. And funny the you mention about that scenerio you mentioned, when the dj at the event I was at was playing the 2013 music, I women did complain and say why aren't they playing the old stuff, my heart sank. I was having a good time dancing with an English woman that was as much into the newer sounds as myself. Most of the group prefered the old stuff, so guess the dj was giving them what they wanted. It's one of the reasons I wasn't out celibrating with them New Year's Eve, that were at a fantastic place, but I knew what the music would be and I would just be bored to tears. Last time, I ended up putting my ear plugs on listening to my own music. Not good.
good idea with the ear buds..

thanks for making me feel "old"

I use to say the same about my father- he wouldnt let us play rocknroll in the house,,he liked slim whitman and twang country western

Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I think ballroom dancing is lovely, but a number of my friends, love the movement of free style, some of us did a lot of theater dance of various forms in our younger years, it had nothing to do with drinking, we just like to move to sound. More often than not, I don't consume alcohol when I'm at any of the events I attend even out to dinner. I did have a couple of drinks the last event, but that was the first in many months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships