Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 14,587 times

Advertisements

I met this girl online. We talked online for about five weeks before we started talking on the phone. We talked on the phone for maybe a week or so before we decided to go on a date. Everything was going very well. We went on two dates which were really great. We kept talking on the phone pretty much every day for the next two weeks. Conversation was great and we had fun.

Then on our third date, one day before Christmas I decided that I want to give her a Christmas present. Well one day we were playing a story game where I would make up a story and then she would add some more to it. We didn't finish the story, so I decided to finish and give it her as a Christmas present. I wrote maybe four pages and made some little drawings about it, and put it all together in a nice little handmade book. It was very detailed, very nice and presentable. Well I gave it to her when she headed home after our date.

After that she completely stopped talking to me. She would not answer my calls or texts at all. After a week I got upset and send her a text asking for an explanation because I really thought it was rude.

She told me I totally freaked out by making that book. It wasn't what the story was about, it was just a funny story about her dog. She told she was too overwhelmed because I put too much effort into making that, and she felt it was way too much to give for the stage that we were at.

I tried to explain, but she's really freaked out. I was really trying to do something nice, but it turned out the wrong way.

Do you think that it was inappropriate? Would you had reacted the same way? Why? I'm really confused. I turned something that was going so well into her pretty much her being scared of me. I don't know why she feels that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 PM

124 posts, read 242,253 times
How old is this girl? You did nothing wrong. It was a sweet present and most females would be very impressed and appreciative that you took the time and were thoughtful enough to give a gift like that. If the story ended with the two of you getting married and having kids I can see her freaking out but I feel she totally over reacted.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,705,586 times
I can understand her being freaked out. Obviously she felt your relationship was more casual, and not at the stage of giving an intimate gift that you put a disproportionate amount of time and effort into. It's hard to explain but it would make me worry that he was spending too much time obsessing over me, or at least trying too hard to impress me.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:14 PM

102,176 posts, read 107,735,907 times
She has issues! She can't handle someone being nice to her. All you can do is figure you dodged a bullet, and move on.

btw, you didn't overdo it with the present, imo. It cost pretty much nothing, and was a fun, cute thing to do, while also kind of meaningful. You sound like a great guy. Look for someone who can truly appreciate what you have to offer. Sorry this one imploded on you. Better luck next time.

edit: Although I must admit, zentropa may have a point. If you'd been on a couple of more dates before Xmas, it may not have been a big deal to her.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,151,011 times
I don't think you did anything wrong. If she felt the same way about you - she would have been thrilled. Unfortunately, it seems that she just wasn't feeling it.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 PM

769 posts, read 976,396 times
Oh my god I would get thrilled if a guy I just met put that much thought and work into something like that. That is so sweet. You did nothing wrong.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,913,481 times
I can see either side on this. You just weren't on the same page. Move on. No biggie.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,725,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can understand her being freaked out. Obviously she felt your relationship was more casual, and not at the stage of giving an intimate gift that you put a disproportionate amount of time and effort into. It's hard to explain but it would make me worry that he was spending too much time obsessing over me, or at least trying too hard to impress me.
This is my exact opinion on the matter.

I generally stay very far away from girls that are like this about me, it's super annoying.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:32 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,983,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
This is my exact opinion on the matter.

I generally stay very far away from girls that are like this about me, it's super annoying.
So basically they appear as clingy?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,725,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
So basically they appear as clingy?
Exactly...they usually turn out to be freaks when it progresses. They have to know everything, where are you? what are you doing? what are you going to do? what are you thinking? It's so annoying, it's like they know more about me than I do about myself. I generally tell them it's annoying and that whatever it was we were doing, it's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships