Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, and with the children too, which she does not want to do. I wouldn't want to travel with two small children to Jamaica either.

I wouldn't want Jamaica at all... you'd be on a resort and that isn't seeing the world. But that is off topic.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM

706 posts, read 1,204,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoeGuy View Post
@kat247

Not really a good advice!
-----

I love my wife and my kids to death and will do anything for them. I just want to travel to few places before I am old and crippled.
You're correct, I was being sarcastic about divorcing her and hope that doesn't happen.

But I do stand by the other portion of my post. Parents/people do sacrifice dreams for the sake of their family.

If you feel you're not being heard by your wife on this matter maybe it's time to seek marriage counseling

Usually small children means things like traveling is saved for later in life.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,324,104 times
Forget it yo! You're married and on lock-down, for now. Wait till the kiddos get older; you're still have plenty of time to travel, especially when youre retired.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,990,394 times
I think you should just wait a couple years. Your kids are very young and taking them abroad is making your wife nervous. So maybe this is not the time. As they become older and a little more self sufficient, she may be more open to travel abroad at times. You won't be too old if you wait a couple years. Also if the kids are a little older they will appreciate the experiences you can give them abroad even more.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,673,439 times
Quote:
@JustJulia

Yes and No! I do want to take my family with the kids to a vacation but I told my wife that if we take a nice expensive vacation with kids then she has to sacrifice one visit to Ohio due to obvious cost/financial reasons. She started with excuses that no kids are too young and who will take care of kids. I said I will take care of kids and you can enjoy the nice beach, you can snorkel do anything. She hesitated and told me that kids are too young. I told her she does not even have to worry as I will take care of both the kids during the whole vacation, I will do diapers, I will feed them. I just want to go. She said "NO" kids are too young and she also did not wanted to sacrifice her visit to Ohio.

End of discussion!

What can I do? I even offered to help 100% with the kids and even then no use.
You could just go like other people have suggested and see what happens. I understand wanting to travel and feeling frustrated and tied down, but there is no magic answer that is going to let you say to her, "See, I was right!" She could be 100% unreasonable, I don't know. I do know that packing and preparing for a trip and traveling with small children is a pain in the neck. You said earlier that she can't travel by herself because you are too busy with work. My suggestion is to work toward a situation where she is free to travel. It sounds like she has been in Mom mode for four years and relying on her out-of-state family for small breaks.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,705,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I agree with your wife. I assume your wife didn't force you to get married and have 2 kids. You wanted to get married and have a family.
Don't be so sure. They way they barely knew each other before marriage and the patriarchal overtones makes me wonder if this was an arranged marriage.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Don't be so sure. They way they barely knew each other before marriage and the patriarchal overtones makes me wonder if this was an arranged marriage.

Never occurred to me, but makes sense.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,048,540 times
IMHO the underlying issue is the OP is viewing his wife's 2x/year trips to Ohio as "her getting her dreams" in a way that's probably not too fun for him.

IMHO also there comes a time when the immediate family needs to jump into first position over visiting grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins, especially if the family can only afford two trips a year.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,519,858 times
I hope you are using these forums just to vent OP, because there is no piece of advice that is going to get you what you want in this situation. I guess you could keep asking her until she changes her mind, but other than that, you may have to wait until the children are older. And by the way, just because you are in your 40's doesn't mean you are falling apart. You can still do the same things you want to do today, as long as you keep yourself in good health and shape. Might as well be patient, and wait till she changes her mind

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM

48,510 posts, read 34,783,425 times
Quote:
@JustJulia,

As, I mentioned she will be in Ohio with her family when I will be traveling. Her mother, brothers, sisters will also help in watching the kids. She will not be alone.
But who would watch the kids if your wife went with you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.