Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
But I would be glad to observe any statistic relating to the usual gap. I assume that men in a position to choose , like actors and rock stars, tend to choose the younger like here?
Yes, like kings to be, and rock stars, and billionaire business owners...

Wallace Simpson, Camille Parker Bowles, Heather Mills, Melinda Gates?... There are times when the kings of men do go for the older, average looking women over all others (and over the severe objection of others)... It defies logic. How to explain Must be the statistical outliers.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What French women will tolerate from men has begun to shift radically since the Dominique Strauss-Kahn affair (and subsequent revelations of other similar affairs in his past).
Monogamy will increase the youth bias I assure you. If there is but one buggy to ride, they will desire the scenic route.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:41 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
What French women will tolerate from men has begun to shift radically in the wake of the Dominique Strauss-Kahn affair (and subsequent revelations of other similar affairs in his past). The French women I know whose husbands cheated on them got divorces.
If the rest of the world starts to adapt the American standard of "any infidelity whatsoever = divorce," I expect their divorce rates will soon be as high as ours. It's not a realistic standard. My understanding is that in Europe they tend to view infidelity as a problem to be worked through like any other marital problem, rather than an automatic divorce.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
If the rest of the world starts to adapt the American standard of "any infidelity whatsoever = divorce," I expect their divorce rates will soon be as high as ours. It's not a realistic standard. My understanding is that in Europe they tend to view infidelity as a problem to be worked through like any other marital problem, rather than an automatic divorce.
If it's a one-time thing, it could be worked through. If it's chronic, the only choice is accept it or leave.

What I don't understand about the French is that if affairs are so accepted by both sides, why do couples take such pains to hide their affairs from each other? And why do they bother to get married in the first place? Marriage was pretty much abolished, or made obsolete, in Russia under Lenin. Why don't the French do something like that?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
What French women will tolerate from men has begun to shift radically in the wake of the Dominique Strauss-Kahn affair (and subsequent revelations of other similar affairs in his past). The French women I know whose husbands cheated on them got divorces.
Agree it is shifting. From my experience (maybe there is a French woman here who can elaborate?), the women are open about sex, like the men. They marry late (if at all) and their parents make sure they are educated on birth control at an early age. My friends were on the pill, in their mid teens, many years before they were to have sex. Their parents wanted them on it just in case. And the birth control sat in the cabinet next to the family toothpaste. I was a bit surprised by the openness of it all.

I did get the vibe (like the previous poster - was it Newdixiegirl?) that European men were a bit more appreciative of an older woman's beauty, sexuality, talents - maybe more so than American men? Maybe it is just a more openness to romanticism and lifelong sensuality in general. Who knows - I've done no research in the area - though i did marry a British-Canadian.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Monogamy will increase the youth bias I assure you. If there is but one buggy to ride, they will desire the scenic route.
Rest assured there are still plenty of drivers who would find a bumpy road of shifting colorful Fall leaves more exciting and scenic than a still and breathless Spring tulip field. And they have no desire to take the Spring scenic route.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
If it's a one-time thing, it could be worked through. If it's chronic, the only choice is accept it or leave.
There's a lot of gray area on the spectrum between the extremes of one-time-thing and chronic, but generally speaking I agree with you. In the U.S. it's pretty common for marriages to end in response to things closer to the one-time-thing end of the spectrum. The assumed standard here seems to be 100% lifetime monogamy, with anything else being a nearly automatic end to the marriage. While that might be ideal, it's not a very realistic standard in practical application, and I think many other cultures recognize that better than we do.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Agree it is shifting. From my experience (maybe there is a French woman here who can elaborate?), the women are open about sex, like the men. They marry late (if at all) and their parents make sure they are educated on birth control at an early age. My friends were on the pill, in their mid teens, many years before they were to have sex. Their parents wanted them on it just in case. And the birth control sat in the cabinet next to the family toothpaste. I was a bit surprised by the openness of it all.

I did get the vibe (like the previous poster - was it Newdixiegirl?) that European men were a bit more appreciative of an older woman's beauty, sexuality, talents - maybe more so than American men? Maybe it is just a more openness to romanticism and lifelong sensuality in general. Who knows - I've done no research in the area - though i did marry a British-Canadian.
That seems extreme, to put girls on hormonal regulation not long after their first menses? "Just in case"? Couldn't they have given them a couple of condoms, "just in case"?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Yep, its always men who are the problem.

You appear to already be serving your sentence. I just would not date anyone with this attitude, thin fat or in-between. I am viscerally repulsed.
When a man refuses to date women his age he's the one with the attitude, not me.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, Whyrallnamestaken, I think you've misunderstood me. My main reason for saying that women should do their best to stay fit is FOR THEMSELVES. I personally think women spend far too much time worrying about snagging a man and far too little time enjoying themselves, enjoying friends and family, and enjoying their lives.

And I KNOW that a lot of men aren't in shape or attractive. That's what cracks me up most about these boards. The hypocrisy is amazing. But I can't change men's attitudes. I can only control my attitude, my life, how I choose to live it, and how I choose to feel about myself. Oh, and you're correct: as a fit woman, I would not be interested in a significantly overweight, slovenly, couch-potato guy. Never.
What I found funny when I did online was how many obese men would contact me to complain about the fat women. They were pretty nasty, did they think I would somehow find them attractive? In fact I was even more repulsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships