Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times

Advertisements

So I hear and see a lot of younger people having a hard time initiating first contact. For me one of the best ways to do this (WITHOUT ALCOHOL) is to go somewhere where you know people; this does not have to be somewhere with friends or family. If you frequent a store you should know some people, open up and talk to them and invite other people around you in the conversation.

It's pretty sloppy when people my age rely on bars and clubs just to talk to people. Although it works, it's nice meeting people without being drunk or always wanting to drink.

When I was younger I was super guilty of always wanting to drink. I remember one girl asking me after the 5th date or so "can we do something besides drink?"

How do you initiate conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertrude Magilcutty View Post
Pretty simple. I just drop my drawers. People start talking

Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

It's pretty sloppy when people my age rely on bars and clubs just to talk to people. Although it works, it's nice meeting people without being drunk or always wanting to drink.

When I was younger I was super guilty of always wanting to drink. I remember one girl asking me after the 5th date or so "can we do something besides drink?"

I was too. I used to have to have a nice buzz on before I could really talk to people in a bar/club setting.

These days I can go a whole weekend of socializing with strangers without so much as a sip of alcohol.

It hasn't really made that much of a difference with women though.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:54 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
So I hear and see a lot of younger people having a hard time initiating first contact. For me one of the best ways to do this (WITHOUT ALCOHOL) is to go somewhere where you know people; this does not have to be somewhere with friends or family. If you frequent a store you should know some people, open up and talk to them and invite other people around you in the conversation.

Being young...I'm guilty of this. People "in real life" don't talk to people, unless they already know them. Otherwise, talking is just "business".

It's awkward when you say something and get rebuffed. Painful.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Being young...I'm guilty of this. People "in real life" don't talk to people, unless they already know them. Otherwise, talking is just "business".

It's awkward when you say something and get rebuffed. Painful.
I think it was an ad on the radio for a dating service but they played a typical bar scenario and the guy said, "Hey, haven't I seen you someplace before?" and she replied, "Yes, that's why I don't go there anymore."

Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM

308 posts, read 398,344 times
The next time I'm going grocery shopping I'll invite people to partake in a discussion concerning the riboflavin content of the different milk brands. That should be an all time hit

But yeah. I talk to people in stores that I go to all the time - so what? The exchange is limited to pleasantries, you don't make friends at the store unless you live in the Yukon or something, and it's the only store in a 500 mile radius.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
The next time I'm going grocery shopping I'll invite people to partake in a discussion concerning the riboflavin content of the different milk brands. That should be an all time hit

But yeah. I talk to people in stores that I go to all the time - so what? The exchange is limited to pleasantries, you don't make friends at the store unless you live in the Yukon or something, and it's the only store in a 500 mile radius.
I have to disagree with you on this one and I don't live in a remote area or the Yukon. I dated a man I met in the grocery store and it started over something funny over salad dressing. Great guy and lots of fun.

I also dated a man for years I met at a self serve car wash.

There are endless places to meet people and strike up conversations.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:24 PM

308 posts, read 398,344 times
I'll put that down to cultural differences. You know the recommendation people sometimes get to smile at everyone they pass in the street, etc.? Do that here and I predict you'll end up in the funnyhouse with some psychiatrist trying to figure out which drug to give you to make you normal Try to chat people up in stores (beyond "could you move your cart so I can get at the peanut butter") would probably end up with the manager having a talk with you.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM

543 posts, read 534,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
I'll put that down to cultural differences. You know the recommendation people sometimes get to smile at everyone they pass in the street, etc.? Do that here and I predict you'll end up in the funnyhouse with some psychiatrist trying to figure out which drug to give you to make you normal Try to chat people up in stores (beyond "could you move your cart so I can get at the peanut butter") would probably end up with the manager having a talk with you.
Yeah, you Nords are some pretty interesting people. Your descendants over here in the Midwest are just as equally "unique".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships