Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatlily2 View Post
Me and him at his parents apartment at 11pm- We bought Christmas gifts for them together.

Him: Wanna wrap the presents for them now?

Me: I'd prefer to do it tomorrow, I'm really tired.

Him (getting directly pissed): Pff, okay, very nice.

Me: Well, you asked me! I would prefer to do it tomorrow. But if you really wanna do it now I will help you, no problem.

Then he didn't answer anymore, just shook his head and started to tidy up the room. I tried again and again to talk to him, said "Why are you angry now? You asked me and I told you my honest opinion" and "Let's talk about it. I can really help you to do it now if you want to." but he didn't talk to me at all til the next morning.
Ok... Latino, 29 and still hasn't cut enough of the apron strings, you're the one with the vagina, not him. He wanted YOU to wrap the gifts, he didn't want you to help him. Just like he expects from his mommy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Ok... Latino, 29 and still hasn't cut enough of the apron strings, you're the one with the vagina, not him. He wanted YOU to wrap the gifts, he didn't want you to help him. Just like he expects from his mommy.
Nail, meet hammer! Very astute observation steelstress. This relationship is going no where and OP knows (at least I hope she knows) it.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 26,165 times
I'm not sure if he expected me to wrap the presents all by myself. The next day he was totally normal again and helped me wrapping the presents without any complains.

Another example of his getting pissed-ness: Him and I in the elevator of my apartment

Him: You look like Heidi today, this girl who lives in the mountains.

Me: Why?

Him: Because you're cheeks are really red.

Me: That doesn't sound good. (stop in front of a mirror in the hallway to take a look)

Him: You take everything as an insult, do you?

Me: What? No, I just said I think it doesn't sound good. I don't wanna look like Heidi.

Him (pissed voice): You're incredible.

Me: What? No, wait wait. Apparently there is a misunderstanding. I didn't take anything as an insult, I just thought I look bad so I wanted to take a quick look in the mirror to see what I look like.

I kept explaining our misunderstanding and he kept getting more pissed, didn't want to hear anything of what I said. In the end he even said we should just stop talking.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatlily View Post
Hi,

I've been with my boyfriend for 1.5 years now. He's 29, I'm 26.
My problem- His family is just too overpresent in our life. It's just way too much for me.
He's from a Latin family, so in that culture it's pretty normal to be very close to the family. But even for being Latin he's overly extreme.
I do like his family, I get along with them very well- But I feel like we don't get enough alone time and that he always chooses his family over me.

What are your thoughts?
Your boyfriend's attitude is similar to what goes in most traditional Catholic European families. In Italy, it's called Mamissimo. And American girlfriends of mine who married into French Catholic families, also had to deal with the family dynamics of a smothering family with a matriarch. One friend was exasperated because during the first year of their marriage in Paris, his mother was inviting them over for dinner ever day... and her husband wanted to accept every time. And on the occasions when the invitation was turned down, her husband would tell his mother that it was because she didn't want to go. Meanwhile, all she wanted was some quality romantic dinners with her husband.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...ver-mammas-boy

Otherwise, even though you've been dating for a year and a half, I don't think that he's that serious about you. Plus from what you've posted about your relationship, the two of you don't seem to be "soulmates". The two of you aren't on the same wavelength and he just doesn't seem that into you.

Also, if you can't deal with this family situation now, then it's time to break up with your boyfriend. It's never going to get any better. He will also never move far away from them.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Nail, meet hammer! Very astute observation steelstress. This relationship is going no where and OP knows (at least I hope she knows) it.
Yeah.. her bf sounds like my father. I know what I speak of.

OP... you need to leave this. It'll only get worse.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if he expected me to wrap the presents all by myself. The next day he was totally normal again and helped me wrapping the presents without any complains.

Another example of his getting pissed-ness: Him and I in the elevator of my apartment

Me: That doesn't sound good. (stop in front of a mirror in the hallway to take a look)

Me: What? No, I just said I think it doesn't sound good. I don't wanna look like Heidi.

Me: What? No, wait wait. Apparently there is a misunderstanding. I didn't take anything as an insult, I just thought I look bad so I wanted to take a quick look in the mirror to see what I look like.

I kept explaining our misunderstanding and he kept getting more pissed, didn't want to hear anything of what I said. In the end he even said we should just stop talking.
OMG... I dated a guy like that. But not for long.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
There's worse things in life than a dude who loves his family. A dude who hates his family is one of them. For his sake, OP, you need to move on. You two are not compatible. And it might be you who needs to change!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:

sounds like he's tired of you and this relationship has been done for a very long time.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This story screams "mama's boy" (or mama's & papa's boy). This extreme closeness or dependency on the family of origin isn't normal in Latino culture, fyi.
There is a difference between closeness and dependency. I see this nonsesne all the time about "closeness" when what is being displayed is immaturity and dependency.

You can be close, and yet be an independent adult. The vignette provided likely shows this guy is still very dependent. He is not going to change if he's still like this at 29. Either put up with it or move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships