Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

Meh. I don't see where it's a big deal. They're just people - you treat them with the same courtesy and respect you'd treat anyone else.

If they don't like you and it affects your relationship, well you've found out that there's something wrong either with you or with them, in all probability (or possibly something wrong with BOTH of you). If there's something wrong with them, and your significant other let's it affect how he treats you, then that's good information to have. If there's something wrong with you, that's maybe an impetus to work on yourself a bit.

The part that I think deserves analysis is why he's so eager for you to meet the people in his life. I'm not suggesting it's a bad thing necessarily, but it would be interesting to know his motivations. I also wonder why his mother didn't like ANY of the girls he dated too. That seems a bit dysfunctional - but I can only speculate on WHO the dysfunctional person is in the equation. (again, it could be everyone involved.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoceansandclearskies View Post
Meeting your SO's parents is a huge deal. It can definitely hurt your relationship, if it doesn't go well. And two months in is way too early. I'd wait a few more months.

I met my girlfriends mom on our second date and her brothers on our third , meeting her mom wasn't planned , her car broke down so I had to drive her home late at night , her mom asked me to stay the night in the spare room

I met her brothers a week later when I was collecting her for dinner

she has yet to meet any of my family but from reading this thread , I better wait a few months more

my girlfriend told me her mom likes me , she could of course be humouring me

Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
"Hey Mom? I want you to meet someone..."

"This is the chick I was telling you about that met up with me and the guysat the strip club."

"Oh...the on who got a lap dance from that stripper?"

"Yep! That's her."

"Meet ... Candy."

"So are you a stripper too? You know with that name and all."

Old 01-07-2014, 01:25 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
We were having dinner when he asked me, " Would you like to meet my mom?". I looked at him, then he added " If you were able to handle my friends, I think you can handle my mom". ( I met his close friends at a strip club). I replied " yeah sure just let me know when".

My bf said that his mom never liked any of the girls he used to date. It makes me think, meeting your bfs mom, does it make the relationship stronger or does it break it? Weve only been dating two and a half months and I dont think Im ready because I dont want it to break our relationship.
Tell him you're not ready.

Besides, there's probably a deeper reason for you not wanting to meet his mom and that reason has something to do between you two.

Adding mom to the picture will just tie you down to a relationship you are already not quite comfortable with for whatever reason, I suspect.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Tell him you're not ready.

Besides, there's probably a deeper reason for you not wanting to meet his mom and that reason has something to do between you two.

Adding mom to the picture will just tie you down to a relationship you are already not quite comfortable with for whatever reason, I suspect.
This is an excellent point...

I was VERY happy to meet my bf's parents and close friends because it meant he was letting me into his life on a really personal level. If I'd felt differently, I'd probably question my feelings for him.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I met my fiance's mom VERY early on (like, a few weeks in)...and I was pretty nervous about it. But we bonded pretty much instantly, as it turned out, and I think my fiance had a pretty good idea that we would, and that's why it happened so early on. His whole family lives in the same neighborhood, and are always popping by one another's homes, so it was the sort of thing that was going to happen sooner versus later, anyway. He didn't meet my parents until about six months in...I'd have preferred sooner, but we lived hundreds of miles away from them.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is an excellent point...

I was VERY happy to meet my bf's parents and close friends because it meant he was letting me into his life on a really personal level.
Same. My fiance's primary group of friends outside his military colleagues are referred to as "the tribe" and they've known one another for decades...getting "in" with them was a big deal...as big as meeting family.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's actually not a big deal at all unless he is planning a special trip just to introduce her to you. I mean, if he sees his mom regularly it would be more weird for you NOT to meet her. I've met several of my kids bf's and gf's very casually, both at the beginning, middle and even end of their relationships. It absolutely will not have any affect on you and him unless he is weird...then you really do want to know ASAP.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Funny... When you get older they want you to meet their kids.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's actually not a big deal at all unless he is planning a special trip just to introduce her to you. I mean, if he sees his mom regularly it would be more weird for you NOT to meet her.
Yeah, this was the thing with my fiance...given the amount of time his family spends together, and the fact that they are all basically neighbors, NOT meeting his mom early on would have taken some effort and been the more awkward thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships