Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 AM

214 posts, read 382,908 times

Advertisements

We were having dinner when he asked me, " Would you like to meet my mom?". I looked at him, then he added " If you were able to handle my friends, I think you can handle my mom". ( I met his close friends at a strip club). I replied " yeah sure just let me know when".

My bf said that his mom never liked any of the girls he used to date. It makes me think, meeting your bfs mom, does it make the relationship stronger or does it break it? Weve only been dating two and a half months and I dont think Im ready because I dont want it to break our relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Take her to the strip club and buy her a lap dance.

Seriously, you will put yourself in that type of situation, but are intimidated with meeting his mother. Girl, it makes no sense to me and your false sense of self confidence is now rearing its head.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
timing is different for everyone...
but also consider this..
how a guy interacts with his mother can be very telling....for a ltr
his mother is often a role model for a ltr of family norms-

yeah there may be some pressure,,but its going to happen someday, so let it happen,,

just be yourself, dont try to please her, and if you want to impress her,,,just let her see how naturally the two of you get along well,
ive found, most mothers focus on how the son reacts to her(you)-manners, respect, affection, - not about whether she can cook, what shes wearing , looks, etc,

Old 01-07-2014, 02:50 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
We were having dinner when he asked me, " Would you like to meet my mom?". I looked at him, then he added " If you were able to handle my friends, I think you can handle my mom". ( I met his close friends at a strip club). I replied " yeah sure just let me know when".

My bf said that his mom never liked any of the girls he used to date. It makes me think, meeting your bfs mom, does it make the relationship stronger or does it break it? Weve only been dating two and a half months and I dont think Im ready because I dont want it to break our relationship.
I think that is early to be meeting his mom, especially if she has never liked his girlfriends in the past. Just tell him you aren't ready yet.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Take her to the strip club and buy her a lap dance.

Seriously, you will put yourself in that type of situation, but are intimidated with meeting his mother. Girl, it makes no sense to me and your false sense of self confidence is now rearing its head.
now now, this is a bit harsh, its not fair to take a tidbit from one thread and slam away in another thread
(im guilty of this too)

"false sense of self confidence" ? now there's a line we have all lived at one point or another in our lives=that means very little.

i think we are being a bit judgemental this morning...

Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
now now, this is a bit harsh, its not fair to take a tidbit from one thread and slam away in another thread
(im guilty of this too)

"false sense of self confidence" ? now there's a line we have all lived at one point or another in our lives=that means very little.

i think we are being a bit judgemental this morning...
All you have to go one is what people start threads about and gloat about and show their personalities and then you make a call on what you are seeing now.

Just tell her she did an excellent job of raising her son.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
There is nothing inherent in meeting someone's mom that would "break" your relationship.

If he is so important to you, you naturally should want to meet the people who are important to him.

Does he see his mom regularly, or would meeting her require a plane ticket?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I met my dudes parents about 3ish months into our relationship, and it was completely last minute. He was on the phone with his Mom after I'd spent the weekend at his place and he came over to me and said 'wanna go grab lunch with my parents?'. So...we did.

Later I find out his parents are pretty conservative and have HATED the other girls he's dated. It was pretty obvious that I'd spent the night at his place since she called early in the AM and they're not ok with premarital sex or cohabitating...but boy am I glad he didn't mention any of that before hand because I would have been incredibly nervous.

Regardless, it went well and his parents adore me... for the OP, if this relationship is going to work out you're going to have to meet his parents eventually. May as well jump right in.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 AM

148 posts, read 292,466 times
Meeting your SO's parents is a huge deal. It can definitely hurt your relationship, if it doesn't go well. And two months in is way too early. I'd wait a few more months.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post

If you like him, I think you should just go ahead and do it whenever he wants you to meet her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships