Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM

102,181 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well the big problem is... is that your fiance will not be easily moved away from her family since she is committed to paying off the mortgage to that house. And once you get married, what then?
Actually, objectively speaking, there's no reason that she couldn't sell the house, so they could buy one together. The couple would then have to decide if he should be reimbursed at time of sale for the rent he paid towards her mortgage, or not. Somehow, though, I doubt she'd opt for buying a house with him, because it would mean giving up a certain leverage she has, which we've seen she doesn't shrink from taking advantage of.

The fiancee seems more married to her family than committed to the OP. Actions speak louder than words, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Well the big problem is... is that your fiance will not be easily moved away from her family since she is committed to paying off the mortgage to that house. And once you get married, what then? Will your fiance be fine with you being equal owners of her house? Or will she (or her family) want a pre-nup signed?

I suggest that you try to save up some money, even with getting a side part time job so that you are able to eventually buy into her house ownership. If you don't, her mother will consider you not good enough for her daughter. I'd say that her mother will only be happy with you when you are the bigger breadwinner in your relationship.

In traditional cultures (WASP, Asian, European, Latino), parents are extremely keen that their daughters' have suitors who are able to fully take care of them financially. And right now, their daughter seems to have more of her financial act together than you do (to them).
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything that indicated that she "has her act together financially," any more or less than he does. Owing money on a house doesn't necessarily equal having one's financial act together, IMO.

It's interesting that this post brings up the fiancee not being easily moved away from her family, due to home ownership. Is moving her away from family the OP's intent? Is it something she in fact even wants? Does she even live near them, now? The OP referenced that the sister moved "to their city," and I'm unclear how nearby the family even is (not that geographic proximity has any real bearing on being under people's thumbs, anyway, if that's what the situation is).

Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything that indicated that she "has her act together financially," any more or less than he does. Owing money on a house doesn't necessarily equal having one's financial act together, IMO.
Well... buying a house does require the funds for the down payment and all the other incidentals. Meanwhile, the OP is just paying a third of the mortgage payment as his share of the rent (plus a share of the utilities). I think that the fiance's family would have liked him more if he owned his own house.

And yes, the fiance can put her house on the market at any time, but generally selling a house is a slow and painful process even under ideal conditions (quick sale but then waiting for the buyer to secure financing).

Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
Quote:
Well... buying a house does require the funds for the down payment and all the other incidentals. Meanwhile, the OP is just paying a third of the mortgage payment as his share of the rent (plus a share of the utilities). I think that the fiance's family would have liked him more if he owned his own house.

And yes, the fiance can put her house on the market at any time, but generally selling a house is a slow and painful process even under ideal conditions (quick sale but then waiting for the buyer to secure financing).
I don't think the family would have liked him more if he owned the house. The issue is personally with him based on what he's said. Doesn't sound like money is a problem, other than the SIL who doesn't have resources to get her own place.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't think the family would have liked him more if he owned the house. The issue is personally with him based on what he's said. Doesn't sound like money is a problem, other than the SIL who doesn't have resources to get her own place.
His potential MIL sounds a lot like my mother and the way she rants about my BIL and my other sister's ex-husband. And my BIL is a really nice guy, but my mother can't get beyond his lack of ambition and that my little sister always made a lot more money than he did (he's a photographer). My mom also hates his family and gets wound up over making sure that if my sister died first, that my BIL would not inherit anything that ever came from our family... because t he might leave to his family later on. So much crazy coming from her. Fortunately, the rest of my family is in CA.

And my mom will remind me that I should leave all of my possessions to my two nieces. I just quickly change the subject.

A friend of mine comes from a predominately Catholic background. When his father married a woman who was a Protestant, he was cut off from his family. They all lived in the same town, but he was shut out of the family's dairy business.

Anyway, I am still curious about this fiance's cultural background and whether or not there is some sort of culture, religious or racial clash going on.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM

219 posts, read 436,010 times
Sounds like a lot of baggage, dude. Are you sure she's worth it? Hot alone isn't worth some kinds of baggage. She'd better have a killer personality. Oh, but she bosses you around? Moved her sister in in spite of your telling her not to? Better think this one over before wading in any deeper.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,101,719 times
Some people go to work and work overtime, because they don't want to go home. They no longer like their home life. Yet they won't face it or admit it.

Maybe Fiancé doesnt really want to get married, so she moved Sister in. She doesn't want to face it, admit it, or tell him and be "the bad guy".

Sometimes folks do things and don't understand why themselves.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM

102,181 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Some people go to work and work overtime, because they don't want to go home. They no longer like their home life. Yet they won't face it or admit it.

Maybe Fiancé doesnt really want to get married, so she moved Sister in. She doesn't want to face it, admit it, or tell him and be "the bad guy".

Sometimes folks do things and don't understand why themselves.
Insightful. All we can do is speculate as to her motives and the nature of her commitment to the OP, but this is interesting. I don't know if she'd give the OP honest answers if he were to sit her down and have a talk about the whole thing. But he should try.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
Quote:
Anyway, I am still curious about this fiance's cultural background and whether or not there is some sort of culture, religious or racial clash going on.
I agree. I'm wondering if it's either a clash or something else. Those reasons he mentioned don't seem valid enough to me to dislike a person that much. I think there's more to the dislike that what he said because if the dislike for him is based only on what he previously said then every guy in the world that she's dated wouldn't have been liked either. Maybe there were previous issues in the relationship? Maybe there's stuff that we don't know about.

OP--have you asked you fiancee if her mother and sister treated past bf's the way they treat you? I think I would have more comfort knowing that it's not something personal, but rather that the MIL is just overbearing and controlling. Just curious--I don't think there was mention of her dad. Is he in the picture?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,675,802 times
Personally, I'd have one more conversation about it and if it didn't end with "I'll start helping my sister move out immediately" (and evidence of this appeared within a few days), I'd move out, quickly and with as little drama as possible. Your fiancé is helping out her sister and she repays the kindness by reporting back to MIL? That is not acceptable.

It would not surprise me if you end up moving out and the parents suddenly start helping little sister financially to the tune of 1/3 of the mortgage so their girls can continue this living arrangement. It would also not surprise me, should you decide to stay, that when she starts doing better on her own financially, fiancé suddenly starts rethinking your relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships