Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 AM

191 posts, read 220,735 times

Advertisements

A cute smile can be very sexy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:35 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I think the fact that you're making a huge effort to monitor your own facial expression out of insecurity is going to have a more negative effect than being "feminine" or smiling too much.

I had a guy confess to me on the second date or so that he was constantly worried about appearing feminine. I'd already picked up on his insecure nature and had decided to roll with it, because he was a pretty cool guy. Hadn't even occurred to me to think of him as effeminate (and I tend to date overtly masculine men). But after that, all I could think was that here was a guy who wasn't comfortable in his own skin and who was completely insecure. HUGE turn off.

Own who you are. Be you.

The only exception is if you have serious character flaws - then you work on those though, not hide them.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
I am not seeing how smiling is a feminine trait or characteristic here. Have I missed something?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I am not seeing how smiling is a feminine trait or characteristic here. Have I missed something?

No

Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
My guy smiles when he laughs and when he's happy... I love it. But he only really started getting that way after seeing me... so in a way, he was unsmiling before. But now that we are together, I like that he seems happy.

But Banned has a point that a few studies show that most women like men who don't smile. But one thing I noticed in the studies:

Quote:

One thing to keep in mind: The study measured just sexual attractiveness, not whether women are interested in carrying on a relationship with a sullen, unsmiling dude.
Something to consider. Maybe looking moody can attract... but can it keep a woman's attention? I think if after dating the man I am seeing now, if he stayed sour and moody-like, I would lose interest a bit because there is only so much "miserable" I can take. And while I know this statement can seem very self centered and I may be out in left field with this, it makes me feel good to know he's happier now that we are together--I feel like I've improved his life and that makes me feel good. The result it it makes me happier to be around him the happier he seems.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
There you have the question. I already have a somewhat feminine look and personality, so I tend to counter that with a serious countenance in public. Would I be doing myself more favors if I smiled a lot?
Perhaps you would be doing yourself more favours if you simply be yourself. Because there are few things I can think of that are _less_ attractive than someone desperately pretending to be something they are not in an attempt to me _more_ attractive.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Perhaps you would be doing yourself more favours if you simply be yourself. Because there are few things I can think of that are _less_ attractive than someone desperately pretending to be something they are not in an attempt to me _more_ attractive.
I think this is true. And why would a person "not" want to be themselves? Just because some studies might show a "majority" of women don't like smiling, that's not "all" women. So some women do like smiling men. Think of it this way, if there are 10 women in a room and 6 want you to scowl, but 4 like who you are--wouldn't you be better off interacting with the 4 instead of pretending to be someone else for one of the 6?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Dreams View Post
A cute smile can be very sexy
Yes indeed.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 AM

305 posts, read 376,334 times
Quote:
There you have the question. I already have a somewhat feminine look and personality, so I tend to counter that with a serious countenance in public. Would I be doing myself more favors if I smiled a lot?
That's probably true. Women prefer masculine alpha males that have a mean streak and will control them and everybody else. They want somebody they can respect and usually that person treats them like crap. The bigger the arrsehole, the more they like.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
LOL!!!

Be careful, you might attract a male stalker. I myself have a rather feminine face. (especially now that my hair has somewhat grown out) I do try to maintain a masculine vibe. Unfortunately, that can attract as much (sick) male attention as attention from the women. Better be ready for those control freaks.

On a serious note, I think you have to find something that works for you. It is okay to smile at times. However, if you over do it, you might find yourself in a situation with someone who sees you as weak and will try to tak advantage of you in every way he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships