Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,309,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
Don't ever, ever, ever, listen to R4T.

Read this instead:

Brooding men, smiling women seen as sexy? | Reuters

Many, many studies have been done with rating attractiveness of facial expressions. Women consistently rate smiling as the LEAST attractive facial expression a man can have.
Well

That article explains my recent luck with women. I try not to smile so much and I got women chasing after me right now.

Then I get a note talking about my smiling face...

I'm getting played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM

830 posts, read 1,660,413 times
A man who smiles genuinely is extremely attractive to me!

I emphasize "genuinely" because I once liked this guy for his smile and sense of humor (among a few other things). I loved the way his smile would look off guard. But if he knew I was looking at him he would display a guarded version of that smile due to his insecurities, and I would be disappointed... His face didn't look right with a fake smile, it looked more like a sneer.

Maybe you think you look like a goofball with a smile on your face but not everyone agrees--smiles are welcomed.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,592,110 times
It depends on the person and the smile. Not all smiles are equal.

And yeah, a genuine smile is best. True happiness shows up not only in your smile, but in your eyes and body language too.

Many people can easily tell if your smile isn't genuine...maybe it's forced, or fake, or mischievous, or indicative of a try-hard, or otherwise just looks "off". Kind of like detecting if someone is a "nice guy" instead of a nice guy.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,132,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
There you have the question. I already have a somewhat feminine look and personality, so I tend to counter that with a serious countenance in public. Would I be doing myself more favors if I smiled a lot?

I've never heard of someone smiling as being feminine. That's kind of an odd thing. I know some guys who smile all the time. I know this one guy who smiles so much and you have to wonder why. His grill is so messed up. He's got like two teeth dangling from his mouth. I smile when I see him smile because it's so hilarious. I know that's messed up. But, it's just too funny to hold in.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,830,403 times
Quote:
There you have the question. I already have a somewhat feminine look and personality, so I tend to counter that with a serious countenance in public. Would I be doing myself more favors if I smiled a lot?
Smiling is almost never a bad thing.

Smiling will put other people at ease, if you learn to do this effectively it can help you in all parts of your life.. not just dating.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,780,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
Don't ever, ever, ever, listen to R4T.

Read this instead:

Brooding men, smiling women seen as sexy? | Reuters

Many, many studies have been done with rating attractiveness of facial expressions. Women consistently rate smiling as the LEAST attractive facial expression a man can have.
But those women and men encouraging and engaging in posturing are low life's and always will be.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:16 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,390,435 times
Quote:
Not if it doesn't look genuine.

If it looks overly forced or fake, I kinda keep a distance.

When I see a warm honest smile? So sweet! Love a guy with a gentle smile.
Licious! Sexy. Mutha..

Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 AM

339 posts, read 378,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
But those women and men encouraging and engaging in posturing are low life's and always will be.
How is their natural reaction to being shown pictures "posturing?"

Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM

179 posts, read 308,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
oooh, good call! Plus, not all women are looking for "hot" or "sexy". Surprise, surprise, not all women think alike. Some are looking for good guys, family-oriented types, those inclined to be loving and supportive. Smiles work well to attract those types of serious-relationship-seeking, drama-averse women.
Yes - but do these women normally plan to have lots of good sex with these men, or do they end up in stable but virtually sexless marriages (a situation they're perfectly happy with), only having enough sex with their husband to keep him from leaving, straying, or complaining too much?

In other words, are these women choosing men they're not sexually attracted to, looking past "hot" and "sexy" - meanwhile, the man still wants to have sex with his girlfriend/wife, only to find that, yes, she loves him, but doesn't really "WANT" him the way he wishes she did?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,325,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR76 View Post
Yes - but do these women normally plan to have lots of good sex with these men, or do they end up in stable but virtually sexless marriages (a situation they're perfectly happy with), only having enough sex with their husband to keep him from leaving, straying, or complaining too much?

In other words, are these women choosing men they're not sexually attracted to, looking past "hot" and "sexy" - meanwhile, the man still wants to have sex with his girlfriend/wife, only to find that, yes, she loves him, but doesn't really "WANT" him the way he wishes she did?
But the guys in those sexless marriages aren't smiling much, so how come she's not jumping all over his brooding ***?

A little more on topic, at least in the sort of anonymous, sterile, hypothetical settings of research, women do say some things that fly in the face of what many women claim that women want. I think the anonymous-hypothetical-sterile setting may account for some of this response. Even then, does the setting invite exaggeration or honesty?

As far as the OP's question is concerned, fake smiles and fake scowls aren't likely much use. Be who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships