Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 PM

457 posts, read 601,700 times

Advertisements

There you have the question. I already have a somewhat feminine look and personality, so I tend to counter that with a serious countenance in public. Would I be doing myself more favors if I smiled a lot?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Smiles are always attractive, unless you go around grinning like an idiot all the time, like it's plastered on your face. There have been a few threads here and on another sub-forum about guys who aren't the "macho" type, and who are more androgynous ("feminine", if you want to use that term) in their personality, and you might be surprised as to how many women prefer that. Times are changing. Don't worry about it.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM

112 posts, read 117,304 times
Don't ever, ever, ever, listen to R4T.

Read this instead:

Brooding men, smiling women seen as sexy? | Reuters

Many, many studies have been done with rating attractiveness of facial expressions. Women consistently rate smiling as the LEAST attractive facial expression a man can have.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,772,422 times
My experience has been 50/50 on this. I've seen other studies that indicate the same thing that ABS posted....women choose pictures of unsmiling men universally.

BUT, in the real world, that can translate to "unapproachable". I'll say this: Every woman I know SAYS they prefer a smiling man. All the studies indicate they don't. So neither of those tidbits are much help.

If I were going to plan my facial expressions around it, I'd smile in person and I wouldn't in my OLD profile. But facial expressions are difficult to fake well, imo. So it's cliché, but you're better off doing what comes naturally, because it will LOOK natural.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,169,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
Don't ever, ever, ever, listen to R4T.

Read this instead:

Brooding men, smiling women seen as sexy? | Reuters

Many, many studies have been done with rating attractiveness of facial expressions. Women consistently rate smiling as the LEAST attractive facial expression a man can have.

Meh--does this article only pertain to Canada? What about the rest of the world? How many people were studied?

For me, one of the things I am first attracted to is a man's smile. Not a 27/7 painted-on smile but just the way he smiles. The constant look of wanting sympathy is a turn off for me.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,772,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Meh--this article only pertains to Canada. What about the rest of the world?

Here's another if you want.

The 4 Big Myths of Profile Pictures « OkTrends

Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Meh--this article only pertains to Canada. What about the rest of the world?

For me, one of the things I am first attracted to is a man's smile. Not a 27/7 painted-on smile but just the way he smiles. The constant look of wanting sympathy is a turn off for me.
Lots of women like a warm smile on a guy. If they look too serious, they come across like you wouldn't want to run into them in a dark alley. Or a well-lit one, for that matter. I guess it's the women who are into "bad boys" who prefer the ones who look like potential abusers.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,058,312 times
Depends on the person. Not all smiles are the same.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,169,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lots of women like a warm smile on a guy. If they look too serious, they come across like you wouldn't want to run into them in a dark alley. Or a well-lit one, for that matter. I guess it's the women who are into "bad boys" who prefer the ones who look like potential abusers.

LOL...exactly!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM

112 posts, read 117,304 times
Quote:
Meh--does this article only pertain to Canada? What about the rest of the world? How many people were studied?

Here's 10 more:

Smiling Guys, Proud Ladies Apparently Unattractive

Why women don't find happy men attractive and prefer moody types like James Dean | Mail Online

Smiling Men Less Sexually Attractive to Women, Study Says | Men's Psychology

Happy guys finish last, says new study on sexual attractiveness

What do women find unattractive in men?

Advice for Online Daters: If You’re a Guy, Don’t Smile | TIME.com

How to Be Hot: Women Should Smile More, Men Less * Hooking Up Smart

How to Be Hot: Women Should Smile More, Men Less * Hooking Up Smart

Study Reveals Brooding Makes A Man Sexy - Health News - redOrbit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships