Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:41 PM

123 posts, read 351,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
My first couple of Ex's just dropped off the face of the planet.. after that, things got interesting.

My hubby is actually a previous ex of mine. We stopped talking for nearly two years after the first breakup - then we became awesome friends. I knew I still loved him and he knew that he still loved me.

However, I was dating a now ex.. I shall re-name him Jill. Jill will never be spoken to ever again. He slashed his own mother's tires to try and put me in jail.

Another ex, let's call him Suzy. Well, he's my daughter's sperm donor, so I have to talk to him.. but I don't think I can be-friend him after the whole.... he cheated and gave me an STD thing.
Hi K, you are right about exes sometimes having the potential to becoming more.

But I personally feel that you can only be friends with an ex at least 6months after the break-up. Either party might still have strong feelings about the other right after the break-up.

p.s does your hubby get jealous about you being so cool/ on talking terms with Suzy's 'dad' though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
divorce revisited.
its that magical moment in life when somebody decides they would rather
have the cash than you? kind of time to move on after that no?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-02-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
In my case, I thought I could, but I cannot.

My wasband, who I am sep from, I just wanted things to be civil for the sake of our children, but he wont allow it.

I tried, I tried, I tried. Maybe one day he will turn around, but I have faith int he fact that I know I tried.

We can do what we want, but we cannot change another person to have them do what we think is best.. they just have to do whatever... in their own time.

Right now.. for him... it is be a jerk.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,437 times
I don't think it's healthy unless you have kids together. Rather brake all ties, or you might just be used for when they need to have sex!

My advice...move on at least until you both have someone else and you could then be friends.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Even for those people that say it's ok, I bet it still bothers them deep down when their S.O. is in contact with exes. If you loved someone how could that not bother you?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Even for those people that say it's ok, I bet it still bothers them deep down when their S.O. is in contact with exes. If you loved someone how could that not bother you?
I understand what you are saying but I guess it depends on the situation. My husband really is not jealous of my ex husband. He even suggests calling and inviting him when we have a family gathering. But, if he and I were making goo-goo eyes at each other it would be different. But we are not.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 AM

107 posts, read 96,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Actually, I think that if you gave them a chance you would see that you can, indeed, be friends with past boyfriends. If they enjoyed your company and liked you as a person they will often be happy to maintain a platonic friendship with you. It is sometimes a bit awkward at first because you don;'t want to be too friendly lest they misread your intentions, but I have always found that after a few months you can have very pleasant conversations with exes without there being any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. I think the key is to never have a bad breakup. If there are no accusations or fights... simply a change of heart about the relationship... and it is an amicable split, then there should be no problems.
Well see in my situation in past the man always want sex from me when I only want friendship. I can not control these man no matter how much I keep telling all them what to do. If I leave on good term they still want me for only sex. Sometimes I do give this to them just to keep these people happy because I bothered by them with begging.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,217 times
My boyfriend of over 2 years & I broke up over some very complicated matters.
Just a bit over a year later my sister let me know that she had been on a few dates with him over the last few weeks & she thought it was going to get serious.
At first I was taken aback & didn't like the thought of her & him together. When I thought of it I made a sour face (I wish I had a Smilie for that!) But after thinking about it for awhile & seeing them together, I came to the realization that they were happy. Much happier than him & I.
Now, 6 years later they are still together. They have built a good life together & he is a good father figure for my neice who has been without a man in her life since her birth.
Him & I are friends. We joke around like brother/sister in laws! It has been so long, I don't even look at him anymore like an ex.
I think it worked out nicely & yes it is possible!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
My boyfriend of over 2 years & I broke up over some very complicated matters.
Just a bit over a year later my sister let me know that she had been on a few dates with him over the last few weeks & she thought it was going to get serious.
At first I was taken aback & didn't like the thought of her & him together. When I thought of it I made a sour face (I wish I had a Smilie for that!) But after thinking about it for awhile & seeing them together, I came to the realization that they were happy. Much happier than him & I.
Now, 6 years later they are still together. They have built a good life together & he is a good father figure for my neice who has been without a man in her life since her birth.
Him & I are friends. We joke around like brother/sister in laws! It has been so long, I don't even look at him anymore like an ex.
I think it worked out nicely & yes it is possible!
My opinion on what I underlined above?

EW!!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
I could be friends with my ex's if that is all they wanted...but have found, some men, no, a lot of men, "Think" remaining friends is having an intimate physical relationship, and for me, that is far from the meaning, and actually insults me and sickens me when they expect more. I have a lot of wonderful close female friends, but would never think of having a physical relationship with them...why do men think friends between the two sexes are any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships