Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your limit when it comes to being someone's spouse?
I will only be someone's 1st spouse. 8 20.00%
I'm willing to be someone's 2nd spouse. 14 35.00%
I'm willing to be someone's 3rd spouse. 6 15.00%
I'm willing to be someone's 4th spouse. 0 0%
I'm willing to be someone's 5th spouse. 0 0%
It doesn't matter to me. 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times

Advertisements

I was doing a little research on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. If you're familiar with the show, Yolanda is married to David Foster and she is his 5th wife. That led me to thinking, do people have a limit? The max I'll ever be is wife number 3. What about you?

ETA: Semantics, semantics, semantics... However, I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Well, I only want a man who was married for more than 40 years to one of his wives...that way, I know he is trained and housebroke already. And he won't be out looking for anyone younger than me.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, I only want a man who was married for more than 40 years to one of his wives...that way, I know he is trained and housebroke already. And he won't be out looking for anyone younger than me.
Haha! That's a wonderful response. Just hope that he hasn't forgotten all that training!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Sorry if you been married and divorced more than twice, something is wrong with you. I ain't having it.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
After two times I would question what happened in both situations.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 PM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
I think it's a good idea to listen very carefully to what the person says caused his or her divorce(s). This will give you a clue about what kinds of issues this person has. Also bear in mind that you're only hearing his or her side of the story, so you're not getting the whole picture.

My first marriage was to a man much older who had been married and divorced twice before. He said that his first wife just left him without saying why, and he still didn't know. (This should have been a clue that he lacked insight into other people's feelings). He told me his second wife was a nag. (This should have warned me that he must have been giving her plenty to nag complain and nag about). I felt sorry for him, thought he was a misunderstood genius, and that I was the one who could finally make him happy.

Not long after the marriage, I happened to meet the second wife when I stopped by at her apartment to drop off some mail for their daughter. Much to my surprise, Wife #2 was warm, charming and gracious, and I instantly liked her. Though she had every reason to not to like me, if she did, she was every inch a lady and didn't let it show.

Looking back, I can now see that this small incident changed my perspective on my husband. It planted a seed that grew until I, too, realized that this man had deep-seated problems that no woman could ever fix. Three years later, I became Ex-Wife #3.

I would be willing to be a third wife again because everyone's circumstances are different, but I would be really, really careful to know the man's character well before deciding to commit.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,501 times
Three would be my limit.

First marriage = starter marriage
Second marriage = rebound marriage

But there would have to be a lot of years between the second and the third. And therapy. And self-awareness-seeking. Basically, he would have to really know himself and know what went wrong both times, and be willing to fix that part of himself that fed into the dissolution.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Sorry if you been married and divorced more than twice, something is wrong with you. I ain't having it.
I agree. I might (stress might)consider a man who had been married once before if the marriage was a short lived civil marriage (especially if he was young) and there were no kids. I once knew a guy who got married in Vegas one drunk night and got the marriage annulled right away. This would be okay. However yes once you get past two marriages there is something wrong and it's that person's fault. I am someone who believes in death due us part so unless you have a good reason to have been married especially multiple times I'll pass you by.

Ironically one of my exes has been divorced THREE times. There is definitely something wrong with him, which is why I am his exgirlfriend, not exwife. He's definitely not someone I enjoyed dating to begin with because he was weird, like obsessed with marriage and having babies (he has 4). He was also a lousy boyfriend more into himself. I'm sure he's still like that, otherwise he wouldn't be divorced three times.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,366 times
I took my present wife from her second husband.

brushrunner

Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
After two times I would question what happened in both situations.

Now.. (keep in mind, I agree with both of you)... What if this person has sought out professional help to improve him or her self after the most recent marriage?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships