Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,501 times

Advertisements

I might date someone with a dog, but I couldn't consider getting serious with them. I have terrible dog allergies. I was innoculated against cat dander, as I had one when doing injection therapy; but I never planned to have a dog. So that would have to be that.

I mean, look ... I love my cat. I really do. He's a great cat. But he's not a person. If I met someone that I was totally crazy about (and vice versa), and he just wasn't into pets but was into me, I'm picking the person first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Married a dog love. Bought a Roomba.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Don't do it.

People who love their dogs that much, I'm sorry to be ugly, but you don't want them. I can guarantee you that they will NEVER choose you over a dog, ever, I don't care if they have kids and you save one of their kids from drowning & you're a great person in every way and even would tolerate a dog if you could but you can't because of an allergy condition. It won't matter. That dog is God to them and you will never compare.

If you get married to them, that dog will be in bed with you both & constantly be in the way and she'd kick you out the bed in 5 seconds if you don't act like it's the most wonderful thing since the invention of the wheel. I guarantee it. Even if you are okay with the dog overall but want it outside & not inside so much, or it's fine to be in the living room but you don't want it in the dining area "begging" or in your bedroom, it doesn't matter. You will ALWAYS be second place to this dog, ALWAYS, period.

It's a mental sickness if you ask me, but it is what it is. They don't realize that a dog's love is unconditional because it's too STUPID to know any differently, that true love comes from someone (a human, you think?) who is smart enough to know what a jerk you can be or what a witch you can be, or that you sometimes hog the bed or forget to refill the toilet rolls after being told a million times--yet, despite KNOWING this, still loves you. A dog, cat, ferret, ANY pet, they don't have the brains to know better, that's why they love you. Heck, Adolf Hitler's dogs loved him. Case closed.

You will NEVER be able to compromise with them, any, period, not even 1-billionth of a per cent. If that dog required a $3500 procedure to extend its life for 3 days longer and it meant you having to sell your boat and all your golf clubs to pay for it, you will be expected to or else you will be seen as the biggest witch of all-time.

I've seen it many times before. I don't know what it is about the more hard-core dog lovers, but they really are that intense about it. If it came down to their dog or their children, spouse, job AND house, they'd give all of that up over some silly mutt without batting an eye.

You have no chance. It's not you, it's not even the dog--it's THEM. Run, now. They can meet someone else who loves dogs and won't mind all of this, you can meet someone else like you who thinks it all silly, everyone will be happier.

If you're married, your spouse comes first--over a dog, cat, ferret, even the children, your spouse is supposed to be FIRST. If you are not prepared to do that, don't get married.

This person, I promise you, will always choose that dog over you, always. They don't deserve you, they don't want you, they are already married--to their dog. You would be the mistress, always, you will never be anything else.
I think we get the message you don't like dogs.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I am not a dog person. Never have been. I think they smell and eat their own poo. No way do I want one in my house.

I recently went to a party at a friend's house and started talking with someone who mentioned their dog. Not only is it in their small NYC apartment, but its a large (75 pound) dog with lots of hair. I shudder to think about this.

A friend started complaining that she thought the dog guy was cute, but when he asked for her number later, she wouldn't give it, saying she "didn't want to lead him on- he's a dog person." She, like myself, is clearly not. I got this, completely, but another friend said "Are you kidding? Just go out with him. You can worry about the dog later."

I realized that throughout my dating life, I, too, have avoided the self-professed "dog people" because I know I never ever want a dog. If the person has a large breed, I REALLY crossed them off the list. I wonder if I should have just "worried about the dog later."

Any thoughts?

I would say you probably missed a great opportunity to get to know a great guy.

I guess it is a good thing you don't mind being single for a very long time since you have cut your dating choices by about 85%.

By the way, not all dogs smell terrible and not all dogs eat their own poo, sometimes they eats another dogs poo or get their snacks out of the kitty litter box........

Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
If a guy doesn't like my dog then that guy is history.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I am not a dog person. Never have been. I think they smell and eat their own poo. No way do I want one in my house.

I recently went to a party at a friend's house and started talking with someone who mentioned their dog. Not only is it in their small NYC apartment, but its a large (75 pound) dog with lots of hair. I shudder to think about this.

A friend started complaining that she thought the dog guy was cute, but when he asked for her number later, she wouldn't give it, saying she "didn't want to lead him on- he's a dog person." She, like myself, is clearly not. I got this, completely, but another friend said "Are you kidding? Just go out with him. You can worry about the dog later."

I realized that throughout my dating life, I, too, have avoided the self-professed "dog people" because I know I never ever want a dog. If the person has a large breed, I REALLY crossed them off the list. I wonder if I should have just "worried about the dog later."

Any thoughts?

I don't think I would count someone out for having a dog.. however it would definitely not be anything in their favor.

It would be a dealbreaker if they didn't like my cat though!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Don't do it.

People who love their dogs that much, I'm sorry to be ugly, but you don't want them. I can guarantee you that they will NEVER choose you over a dog, ever, I don't care if they have kids and you save one of their kids from drowning & you're a great person in every way and even would tolerate a dog if you could but you can't because of an allergy condition. It won't matter. That dog is God to them and you will never compare.

If you get married to them, that dog will be in bed with you both & constantly be in the way and she'd kick you out the bed in 5 seconds if you don't act like it's the most wonderful thing since the invention of the wheel. I guarantee it. Even if you are okay with the dog overall but want it outside & not inside so much, or it's fine to be in the living room but you don't want it in the dining area "begging" or in your bedroom, it doesn't matter. You will ALWAYS be second place to this dog, ALWAYS, period.

It's a mental sickness if you ask me, but it is what it is. They don't realize that a dog's love is unconditional because it's too STUPID to know any differently, that true love comes from someone (a human, you think?) who is smart enough to know what a jerk you can be or what a witch you can be, or that you sometimes hog the bed or forget to refill the toilet rolls after being told a million times--yet, despite KNOWING this, still loves you. A dog, cat, ferret, ANY pet, they don't have the brains to know better, that's why they love you. Heck, Adolf Hitler's dogs loved him. Case closed.

You will NEVER be able to compromise with them, any, period, not even 1-billionth of a per cent. If that dog required a $3500 procedure to extend its life for 3 days longer and it meant you having to sell your boat and all your golf clubs to pay for it, you will be expected to or else you will be seen as the biggest witch of all-time.

I've seen it many times before. I don't know what it is about the more hard-core dog lovers, but they really are that intense about it. If it came down to their dog or their children, spouse, job AND house, they'd give all of that up over some silly mutt without batting an eye.

You have no chance. It's not you, it's not even the dog--it's THEM. Run, now. They can meet someone else who loves dogs and won't mind all of this, you can meet someone else like you who thinks it all silly, everyone will be happier.

If you're married, your spouse comes first--over a dog, cat, ferret, even the children, your spouse is supposed to be FIRST. If you are not prepared to do that, don't get married.

This person, I promise you, will always choose that dog over you, always. They don't deserve you, they don't want you, they are already married--to their dog. You would be the mistress, always, you will never be anything else.
that's one heck of a rant...

Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW22792 View Post
Mod cut: orphaned quote

I think that person is weird for what they said..

The problem however, is that you called that person stupid for stereotyping and then basically solidified what they said

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-26-2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,346 times
I honor her to not leading him on. Dog IS a big issue and dog deserves a family which take care of it well Dog people many times choose their dog over a date if she or he does not like dogs. I appreciate people who don't date people with dogs if they don't like dogs.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would say you probably missed a great opportunity to get to know a great guy.

I guess it is a good thing you don't mind being single for a very long time since you have cut your dating choices by about 85%.

By the way, not all dogs smell terrible and not all dogs eat their own poo, sometimes they eats another dogs poo or get their snacks out of the kitty litter box........
85%? That isn't true at all. I know far more people who have no pets than pets, and even more who have cats than dogs. But I have lived in cities all my life, and dogs are just not that practical in most smaller urban homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships