Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLightning View Post
College degrees don't really mean anything anymore though

Go take some classes for a marketing degree or any liberal arts degree and you will see how easy the classes are. Among the people I've met who are college educated and who are not, I've never noticed any difference in intellect. I had plenty of people in my classes who were airheads

If you are talking about people who have STEM degrees (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), then you absolutely have a point but how many people have a degree in that? And let's be honest here, how many women have a degree in areas that difficult? Rare. Most women have degrees in very easy areas like business, communication or liberal arts
Sorry, kiddo, but the majority of law school graduates are women, lots of STEM program grads are women (I don't have a statistic, but I used to live near microsoft--lots of women of a variety of ethnicities working there), I'm guessing that about half of primary care docs are women, and more women are going into surgery these days (there used to be BRUTAL sexism in that field, so it was difficult for women to specialize, but that's changing). Business isn't so easy, btw, and it's male-dominated still (are you implying that business is some sort of free ride for people who can't cut the mustard?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
I have my masters and don't require any of the men I date to have a degree.

All I require is that they are smart.

And smart doesn't always equal traditionally educated.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I have seen this on many dating profiles that girls want guys with Bachelor and Masters Degrees but I wonder why? If you have a degree you may be smart in that area but that does not mean you are know a lot in other areas.Many people without degrees are smart and successful.
In my view it's mostly their perception of having access to "more $$ income from him" though there's some exceptions to this.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

How do you find them? Do you use OLD, and if so, how do you identify and select for the smart ones?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

Yup.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you find them? Do you use OLD, and if so, how do you identify and select for the smart ones?
If they can keep up with me, they pass.

I am not just book smart, and really, book smart isn't all that appealing to me upon first meeting/dating someone. Witty is essential, and cant be taught.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, kiddo, but the majority of law school graduates are women, lots of STEM program grads are women (I don't have a statistic, but I used to live near microsoft--lots of women of a variety of ethnicities working there), I'm guessing that about half of primary care docs are women, and more women are going into surgery these days (there used to be BRUTAL sexism in that field, so it was difficult for women to specialize, but that's changing). Business isn't so easy, btw, and it's male-dominated still (are you implying that business is some sort of free ride for people who can't cut the mustard?)
That is true about law school graduates, and it is true in the cream of the crop law schools as well -- the top 10 nationally ranked law schools.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Highly doubtful this applies to anything more than about maybe 1% of women at large. Otherwise, the scientists and engineers I know with many prestigious degrees from top schools would probably not lead the nonexistent romantic lives that they do.
Good point! Taking the degree-thing to its ultimate conclusion, the most desirable men would be tenured professors of engineering, or staff-scientists in federal government labs…. the most advanced degrees in “serious” fields, AND the most stable jobs!

As with many things in online dating, the lack of some particular attribute is excellent pretext to which to impute one’s lack of success. But the possession of said attribute does not necessarily improve one’s chances.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A man pursuing a degree, without money, has market value.

A man with a degree, without money, lacks market value.

Perhaps this is part of the appeal for men of being a perpetual student?
oooh, never occurred to me to think of that. Good thought!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Nearly all of the women I date have master's degrees or higher. Shall we start a thread about why "boys" require graduate degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships