Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course people don't need a college degree to make a good living, but a university isn't a trade school. There's value in education and the college experience that's completely aside from making money.
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 AM

184 posts, read 168,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course people don't need a college degree to make a good living, but a university isn't a trade school. There's value in education and the college experience that's completely aside from making money. In that respect, no degree is "worthless." That's what people are talking about with a degree "requirement." People who have gone to college will check the box to meet other people who have gone to college.
From a financial standpoint, the degrees that I mentioned are worthless.

If a person just wants to go to college to meet people, they should crash (ie: sit in and not pay for) large classes and meet people that way.

I used to do that after I graduated as a way of meeting girls.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy to do that now....or I would still be doing it.

Anyway, if a person chooses not to date someone because they have a degree in humanities (worthless degree) and the other person has no degree (but has their own business), who is really losing out? Not the successful business owner.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datxcali View Post
Again, university is not trade school. Education is not measured by a bottom line of dollars and cents. I feel sad for you that you view the world this way. It's not a very positive reflection on you.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
"Liberal arts" got their name from the Greeks, who believed that an education in math, science, literature, history, and rhetoric was critical to becoming a functional free (liberated) man in society. Note that "liberate" and "library" have the same roots. This is not a coincidence.

Likewise, the "humanities" give insight to the human existence through art, music, and literature.

Think of needing a jury of your peers or the voters who decide who runs the country. I'd prefer educated, thanks.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
I earned my "Liberated Life Degree" without attending a University.

I guess that makes me worth zilch to the vast majority (oh "the pain of it all"), to that I say that everyone eventually dies no matter what from this short life on this planet.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datxcali View Post

If a person just wants to go to college to meet people, they should crash (ie: sit in and not pay for) large classes and meet people that way.

I used to do that after I graduated as a way of meeting girls.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy to do that now....or I would still be doing it.

Anyway, if a person chooses not to date someone because they have a degree in humanities (worthless degree) and the other person has no degree (but has their own business), who is really losing out? Not the successful business owner.
They're not useless. They're very useful if you put them to use. Many people get these degrees because IT'S WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. Many people simply aren't good at math, myself included. They would not do well in a business, accounting or engineering program because they wouldn't like it.
Businesses like to employ people schooled in the humanities because they are well-rounded, can talk on a variety of topics, they're usually excellent writers and good critical thinkers.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
There are plenty of intellectuals (e.g. Maya Angelou and, as others have mentioned, Silicon Valley innovators Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, et al) who did not take the traditional college route, and there are plenty of pseudo-intellectuals who did.

I have dated Phd's (e.g. University of Chicago prof) and those with only a H.S. diploma (e.g. a chef who runs a very successful Chicago restaurant chain). I could care less what diploma one displays - only what the bearer stands for. But I have a real distaste for braggards, and a particular affinity for those with the guts and drive to take the road less traveled (or make their own path) and succeed at realizing their own dreams -those are my favorite type of people.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Aloha,

I know why some ladies require a college degree, for potential security. But the problem with alot of external standards is, they can go as quickly as they came. Me personally I get a little worried if a wahine quotes alot of external standards because I would wonder if she is interestted in me or what I could provide, and would she leave if i lost any of that stuff? Further, a thought. Degrees, looks, money etc etc says nothing of if your a good person. Just that your ambitious. None of that says he will treat you right or not cheat etc. Think you get my point?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM

184 posts, read 168,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Again, university is not trade school. Education is not measured by a bottom line of dollars and cents. I feel sad for you that you view the world this way. It's not a very positive reflection on you.
Yeah man, feel sorry for me all you want. The difference between my view and your view is exactly how one person ends up in the 1% and the other ends up in the 99%. You are brainwashed into thinking that you need to go to college to become educated. So I actually feel sorry for you. We live in a day and age where knowledge is freely available all over the place so one can easily educated themselves.

As Matt Damon said in the movie Good Will Hunting: "You dropped a 150 grand on an education that you could have gotten with a $1.50 in late charges at the public library." Today, replace "public library" with "internet".

If you want to make friends, join a Meetup group or something.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I earned my "Liberated Life Degree" without attending a University.

I guess that makes me worth zilch to the vast majority (oh "the pain of it all"), to that I say that everyone eventually dies no matter what from this short life on this planet.
Look on the bright side - you'll be able to filter out those of limited thinking who judge a person's intellect and worth by the degree on the wall. You'll have more time to meet those who will judge you on your personal character, rather than what university you attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships