Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A girl 16 years younger than you expresses her interest, what is most likely your response
Depending on the circumstances I would go for it 18 43.90%
Reject her 19 46.34%
I'll sit on the fence on this one 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loly88 View Post
Maybe some people don't share my opinion, but for me most people under 24/25 still look like teens. Therefore, not attractive (at least not for many men 30+, but of course there are exceptions). I'm a woman myself and I consider myself now with 27 more attractive than I was with 20. I've had this topic with male friends of mine and they said the same. So yes, I think most of my friends (age range 28-35) would reject a girl who's 19, 20. When they're 45 and she's 35 it's probably different though.
lol! You're really swimming against the tide here! Last year we had a bunch of threads insisting that women were "over the hill" at 27. It was wild. I guess that must've been a different crowd than we have now. (Welcome, more sensible, new members!)

If women who look like teens aren't attractive to 30-somethings and older, that would explain a few things. I've been mistaken for a teen through my 20's and 30's. No wonder it's been difficult. Another member here mentioned she's been having the same problem. What happened to the whole thing about how attractive "youth" is in women, and about men preferring young women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I tend to view 20-21 year olds that way, but not 24-25 year olds, unless they're on the late-blooming end of the spectrum. I've met plenty of women in their mid-20's who are out of school (sometimes even with a master's or law degree already), have decent careers going, don't party every night, etc. so I view them more as adults.
True.

There's a transition period there. I was a non-traditional student so maybe I've upped the age a bit.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have to say that while it was not the greatest experience for me, the main problem with the age difference has not been the self consciousness over age or personality or even maturity of my girlfriends, but socializing with her peer group.
Yes! I can relate to this a bit with my current girlfriend, even though she's only 9-10 years younger than me. The vast majority of the time when it's just she and I together, the age difference doesn't even cross my mind, but hanging out with some of her less-mature friends can be another story. It's funny, because it has caused me to think back to when I was younger, and women my age would bring older guys to social gatherings. The guys always looked bored and/or annoyed. I didn't understand it then, but I do now!

The other time I really become aware of the age difference is when pop culture references are involved. Fortunately I've found that this isn't nearly as important to me in a relationship as I used to think it was, but she has had to sit through more 80's movies than I care to admit in order to know what I'm talking about sometimes.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
I can tell you one thing. If hitting on 16 y/o is legalized and if it wouldn't be strongly shamed by society, parents or other folks - large amount of people would focus on 16 y/o women. This generally means almost everyone who grew out of the "mother-replacement" stage where they fantasize of mature women doing "perverse things" with them... and that generally happens quite soon after they hit on a girl or two of their own age, or when they get a bit older.

However, youth is not everything, there's also the way people "carry themselves", how they act, etc. And besides, cosmetics and fashion industry in general have reached a point where any person can effectively "extend" their youth for decades, if someone places whole emphasis on looks then a 40 y/o woman who takes care of herself and uses cosmetics can be on par.
Big problem is LIVING with such woman who spends so much time "on herself" with that stuff - it's usually common only for trophy wives or actresses to do that, generally... and they do it because it matters a lot for them. Other people will rather use that money to buy new stuff for themselves or their children, or to buy something of "real value". Looks aren't really the "real value", at all.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
True.

There's a transition period there. I was a non-traditional student so maybe I've upped the age a bit.
Yeah, grad school allowed me to extend adolescence quite a bit, so I can relate to that, but I meet urban professionals that age now who are far more mature than I was at their age.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yes! I can relate to this a bit with my current girlfriend, even though she's only 9-10 years younger than me. The vast majority of the time when it's just she and I together, the age difference doesn't even cross my mind, but hanging out with some of her less-mature friends can be another story. It's funny, because it has caused me to think back to when I was younger, and women my age would bring older guys to social gatherings. The guys always looked bored and/or annoyed. I didn't understand it then, but I do now!

The other time I really become aware of the age difference is when pop culture references are involved. Fortunately I've found that this isn't nearly as important to me in a relationship as I used to think it was, but she has had to sit through more 80's movies than I care to admit in order to know what I'm talking about sometimes.
Yeah, the pop culture references would be very difficult for me to overcome...mainly because I'm the sarcastic/self-deprecating type.

It's generally hard to follow me if you aren't well-versed in Gen X culture.

So quoting 80s movies is a must!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yeah, the pop culture references would be very difficult for me to overcome...mainly because I'm the sarcastic/self-deprecating type.

It's generally hard to follow me if you aren't well-versed in Gen X culture.
Yeah, I'm a Gen X'er myself, and she is on the cusp of X and Y. Fortunately she had older siblings and I had younger ones, which helps, plus we're both curious enough to enjoy being exposed to stuff we didn't grow up with.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:50 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I suck at pop culture. I don't pay much attention to today's pop culture. I identify with Gen X culture far more than Gen Y, so 70's and 80's references are not lost on me (much thanks to my parents). Since adulthood, I've never been able to relate to those of my generation. The same applies to dating. I can count on two hands the number of men I've gone on dates with that were under 35. Out of over 100 dates in span of two years.

The average age difference for me has been 10-12 years. My longest relationship as a result of online dating, he was 14 years my senior. The one to follow, 12. My peers are in their mid 30's to mid 40's. All are married.

I grew up on 70's and 80's music and movies. They're my favorite. My parents are music and movie junkies, and I soaked it all up. So when an ex talked about ELO or Pink Floyd, there was no blank stare, nor when talking about the awesomeness that is The Goonies, Top Gun (not possible, father was military), Rambo, Gremlins, Creepshow, Poltergeist, The Evil Dead, STYX, Kansas, Queen, The Police, Depeche Mode, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, RoboCop, The Terminator, Alien, Aliens, Terminator 2, Blade Runner, etc., etc. Best generation ever.

My generation: a lot of horror reboots/remakes, and very sad attempts at that. However, Wes Craven's Scream series is still awesome. Gotta love 90's teen slashers.

Last edited by Metaphysique; 01-23-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a Gen X'er myself, and she is on the cusp of X and Y. Fortunately she had older siblings and I had younger ones, which helps, plus we're both curious enough to enjoy being exposed to stuff we didn't grow up with.
I don't mind be exposed to new stuff it's just that unless you grew up/went thru it you won't understand context.

My brother and I speak almost exclusively in Gen X references. To a Gen Y or Boomer our convos might seem like random meaningless phrases.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Realistically guys would need to be 34+ for her not to be underage.
Just use a little common sense when answering the poll. If you are 30-33, then say she is 13 years or so younger. Was in a rush when making the the thread, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships