Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,505,086 times

Advertisements

It may not be the most important- in a marriage- but loss of intimacy- and alienation, is the death knell- for a marriage.

JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,624,848 times
People don't really want just sex. What they're after is a close physical relationship that has an emotional bond that draws them to someone else, such that sex is about so much more than just, well, orgasm.

People literally crave it, to an insane extent. It warps their minds, causing them to become sexual predators, or simply people that go from relationship to relationship never understanding that they have to stay in one place to make it work. You won't ever find that by moving around. Then they become scared when they realize at some level that what they want is actually going to be found, and then it's another man or woman... et cetera, a million times over.

So, to that extent, no, sex isn't that important. Any more than a car is important-- if you have nowhere to go, do you really need it?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,975,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
That might have worked for me if the Tube Top wasn't so popular in the 70's

Carry on.......
My downfall was the miniskirt

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,365,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
People don't really want just sex. What they're after is a close physical relationship that has an emotional bond that draws them to someone else, such that sex is about so much more than just, well, orgasm.
In that case, what they are after is that emotional "high" they get from having somebody idealize them, which is what happens for three months when a relationship is new. These people are narcissists. They aren't capable of giving or sharing or any type or real emotional closeness. It's all pretend.

Or sometimes the only thing they want is validation. They want to feel attractive. I've had people interested in me only because I won't sleep with them. How tedious is that?

And sometimes people get addicted to sex. It has nothing to do with emotional closeness at all. It's a compulsion. Sex functions like a drug.

Greenie

Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,483,120 times
Is sex important? I guess it is why the sexes come together?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
It was important when I was younger. Now it is just work.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
It may not be the most important- in a marriage- but loss of intimacy- and alienation, is the death knell- for a marriage.

JMHO.
Not true. If the marriage was based on really deeply true love, it will survive without sex. What about the soldiers that return from war injured in ways that prevent them from sex? Are you saying that their marriages will all end?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,118,472 times
You know.. as I was reading some of the new posts.. one of the couples that lives next door is going at it very loudly....

Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,116,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
The 2 strongest impulses for a human being are:

1 The self preservation instinct

2 The reproduction instinct
I disagree. I don't think this applies to all people. I have no reproductive instinct. I assume lots of people do (hence the desire to engage in sexual intercourse), and I suppose someone has to if the species were to continue, but then I don't see why it's absolutely necessary for it to continue, to be honest.

Quote:
What are the 3 qualities that you should look in a person? (in order of importance)

1 Spiritual affinity
2 Affinity of ideals
3 Physical attraction

imho these are the 3 keys for a long and true relationship based on love, respect and mutual admiration, but what are your thoughts?
Well...this is hard to say. I'm really unsure of how to put them in order. It's important to me to be emotionally attracted to the person. I find myself feeling that way about people who are passionate and emotive like I am. I also need the person to be honest, open, and loyal. I also couldn't stay in any close relationship in which the other person has problems being affectionate.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,624,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I disagree. I don't think this applies to all people. I have no reproductive instinct. I assume lots of people do (hence the desire to engage in sexual intercourse), and I suppose someone has to if the species were to continue, but then I don't see why it's absolutely necessary for it to continue, to be honest.
So that puts you, Greenie and myself in the "Keep the babies far away from me" category
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships