Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Really? That is three long dates or one long date and an entire afternoon a week.

I guess I'm out of touch or just date really busy people. Even in long term relationships there are weeks where we can't generally get together because of our competing schedules. Two to three times a week seems like huge commitment.
I suppose that 9 hours, for just casual dating, would be fine. But my relationship is going on 4+ years. We don't do "casual dating". I stay over there or he stays here. After a point, in a serious relationship, you get beyond the "casual dating" thing. That is what I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,006,807 times
As everyone else has said, "active" is a relevant term. I consider myself in an active lifestyle because the amount of time I get to sit on my butt in front of tv is minimal - Work, chasing around a toddler, work out time, hobby time, dog park time, socializing with friends and family time. I am on the go more often than not, but I am not doing the same activities day in and day out. My hobbies are horse riding, mountain biking, various outdoor activities, being social occasionally. Variety is the word of the day, and I look forward to exploring new activities if I were to meet a partner that had different activities, but it would be at the cost of compromising a little on what I currently do.

You can't expect someone to conform to your schedule and not have to conform to theirs in return.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:58 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,575,654 times
Some of you remind me of my grandma. She put up her last husband because he liked to stay in his room all of the time.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I suppose that 9 hours, for just casual dating, would be fine. But my relationship is going on 4+ years. We don't do "casual dating". I stay over there or he stays here. After a point, in a serious relationship, you get beyond the "casual dating" thing. That is what I was referring to.

I wasn't including the sleeping/sex/sleeping time in that component, really.

But even in relationships I've had for years, if you get to see each other a couple of times a week, you're generally doing pretty darn well nowadays considering how busy everyone is.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 AM

11,770 posts, read 11,986,606 times
I agree with those who have said you should find someone like-minded. What I see though is someone who is very clear about his lifestyle, but have you considered what you have to offer a woman? With the way you've described your lifestyle, being with a woman sounds like something you have to squeeze in around your other priorities. No one likes to feel they are second-best or come in last after your hobbies, and that everything revolves solely around you and your schedule.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with those who have said you should find someone like-minded. What I see though is someone who is very clear about his lifestyle, but have you considered what you have to offer a woman? With the way you've described your lifestyle, being with a woman sounds like something you have to squeeze in around your other priorities. No one likes to feel they are second-best or come in last after your hobbies, and that everything revolves solely around you and your schedule.

Fair points, but I think we have to remember he lives in Aspen. There is undoubtedly single women there that are equally consumed with skiing or snowboarding. I know there is in northern Vermont, Jackson Hole, etc. Just like if you were a hardcore rock climbing guy in Yosemite you'd be able to meet climbing women.

Here the location is a big issue.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM

11,770 posts, read 11,986,606 times
Quote:
Fair points, but I think we have to remember he lives in Aspen. There is undoubtedly single women there that are equally consumed with skiing or snowboarding. I know there is in northern Vermont, Jackson Hole, etc. Just like if you were a hardcore rock climbing guy in Yosemite you'd be able to meet climbing women.

Here the location is a big issue.
I know that, and he also mentioned he golfs and mountain-bikes in the summer. I don't think it's the activities themselves but the fact that he's consumed with them. That is where the difficulty lies, IMO. It's going to be difficult to find someone who matches your exact hobbies and the intensity and frequency that you do them.

Last edited by Katnan; 01-30-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,907,447 times
Quote:
Going to the gym 6 days a week (generally 75-90 minutes) and or running outside, then hiking/biking/fishing/nature photography on my free time in my norm. There is still plenty of time for dating IF the person also has an active lifestyle. Hiking, playing tennis, running, etc with a partner is great. Little is more boring than someone who wants to just go to restaurants, or sit at home or in a movie theatre, or a bar date after date.
This describes me almost word for word, so of course I agree. I'm certainly not the type who is content doing the work, home, work, home, etc, with a few bouts of TV watching or a theater visit on the weekends... I need to get active every night, and on some I get outdoors if there's time after work. Snowshoeing or skiing in the winter, hiking in the summer. On the weekends there's no doubt about what I'll be doing.

It is causing some friction in our marriage. Wife used to do all that with me, now she's slowing down and wants me to as well. But, that is just who I am. I don't want to slow down til my body forces me to. I don't mind a quiet, relaxing day here and there, but those are the exception.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
But, that is just who I am. I don't want to slow down til my body forces me to. I don't mind a quiet, relaxing day here and there, but those are the exception.

Amen! I'll slow down when my body forces me to. There is too much in the world to do and I sit in a chair at work more than I should already.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,192,267 times
Gym 3 to 5 times a week (weights & cardio), hockey twice a week, cycling once a week, hot yoga once a week, and golf when weather permits. Pretty active, but its not all consuming and I'm in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships