Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 AM

12,632 posts, read 14,764,388 times

Advertisements

honestly doesn't care if you...

- open their mail?
- looks through their cell phone?
- looks through their email?
- looks through their FB account?
- even look through their wallet?

I'm just asking out of curiosity! I'm sure some will say that each partner should respect the other & give them their privacy. Others will say if a person's got nothing to hide, it shouldn't matter & if anyone can look through your stuff, well surely your spouse/SO should be able to.
I tend to believe in the latter myself. What does everyone think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 AM

888 posts, read 1,095,799 times
I would think the person is tremendously insecure and a control freak. The checking is to make sure they don't get blindsided by something, that by keeping in check, can prevent further emotional damage to themselves. Or, they are just nosy

Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,757,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

- open their mail?

I'm just asking out of curiosity! I'm sure some will say that each partner should respect the other & give them their privacy. Others will say if a person's got nothing to hide, it shouldn't matter & if anyone can look through your stuff, well surely your spouse/SO should be able to.
I have nothing to hide and trust my spouse but truly we are adults - I dont really care if now and then my mail is opened or my wallet to get get cash or a card. Now poking through any of the above listed things randomly would be irritating as hell and a no go. While a spouse I am still an individual - respect my space. The rules apply both ways - I practice what I preach.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 AM

250 posts, read 326,737 times
My wife and I are transparent towards each other,but with that comes great responsibility.If you start digging and digging with the intent of trying to find "stuff" it will ruin your relationship.So before you look think of the intent.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:09 AM

4,000 posts, read 4,066,767 times
Quote:

- open their mail?

I wouldn't care if my exSO had looked through my stuff, because he wouldn't find anything that he didnt already know. I had nothing to hide. Still don't.

However, from the time I was very little, I knew that my mom's purse was off-limits. Maybe because of "girl stuff" in there. So, I have always believed a purse or mans wallet was not to be looked in. OTOH, I DID snoop in his when I knew he was seeing someone and wouldn't be honest with me. I wasnt proud of myself, but he gave me every reason.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,922,055 times
Quote:

- open their mail?

My wife has my email and FB passwords. I would have hers, too but I always forget what they are. I am the "mail sorter" so I am always opening her mail or else it will pile up on the table for as long as it takes me to realize she is not going to open it so...yeah, I open her mail. As for phones and wallets, neither of us have anything to hide. She has a pass code on her phone to keep little hands from playing with it. As for wallets, we are constantly getting into each other's wallets because we have a joint account and we use our cards interchangeably when ordering something at home/on line, etc.

Nothing to hide, either of us.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:40 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times
Quote:

- open their mail?

I tend to believe in the latter myself.
What does everyone think?
I believe in the former. You trust me or you do not. I work with private financial information, I know much better than to give ANYONE access to that or other information that can be used against me.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:45 AM

11,364 posts, read 24,319,862 times
"Privacy" sort of goes out the window once you're married. You trade it for mutual respect and trust.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,793,716 times
There are plenty of people who don't have anything to hide and don't have a strong sense of personal space and thus wouldn't mind a significant other, say, looking up a number in their phone or peeking in their wallet to get some information off their insurance card. Casual access for legit purposes. But those same people would be offended by, or weirded out by, the same significant other deliberately snooping and prying and monitoring into those same places, because that says either "control freak" or "suspicious mind."

I am not okay with spousal snooping in my FB, email, phone, etc. because never mind MY privacy, that's invading the privacy of the friends and family who've communicated with me on those services.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Mine could care less. In fact, I open all mail and weed out what he doesn't need to be bothered with.

Ellie hit it on the head. It's a MUTUAL relationship in which you trust the other person because you are certain they won't violate your trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships