Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:52 PM

24 posts, read 45,830 times

Advertisements

Guys your advice would be appreciated. Every time I accept a drinks/coffee/dinner date, the guy will be talking about how sexy I am, how sexy my voice is etc etc. I try to steer the conversation into either finding out more about him as a person or letting him into my world to find out more about me. But it invariably goes back to sexual topics. This then makes me think I have wasted my time going on a date with a man who is just trying to get some before the sun rises. To what degree should I be prejudiced against a man who is telling me how attractive I am and asking questions like Mod cut: not PG13 Am I right to write these guys off - or am I kidding myself and men are just going to push the sexual agenda and it is no indication of their not wanting a relationship? To me, any sexually-tinged talk points to carnal hopes in a man - for that night alone. Have I got it all wrong? Thanks, perspective appreciated. I am one of those women men will call sexy in sackcloth, but why should it be touted as my sole virtue? I may be misunderstanding, please clarify thanks. What should I make of a man who focuses on my looks and seems to ignore the layered being under it all? Looks can disappear tomorrow. My girlfriends ask me the next date, how did it go with that guy you met and I always have the same answer - he just wanted sex so I've cut him off. Is there some sort of memo I've missed? Will men simply always be that direct? Sadly I am old-fashioned and want to be courted and for someone to explore the many dimensions of me.

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-28-2014 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM

102,071 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Yes, those questions should make you get your purse and go. It sounds like you need a better screening process before accepting these dates. Maybe try meeting guys through meetups, volunteering, clubs, activity groups, so you can get to know them first, and the right guy can see the old-fashioned down-to-earth girl in you. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM

30,559 posts, read 21,723,712 times
I don't think questions like Mod cut: not PG13 have ever come up on any date me or any of my friends have been on in the US. Is this a common occurance in South Africa? I'm not sure you can compare the US and SA dating scenes as comparible. or can you?

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-28-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM

888 posts, read 1,096,549 times
I enjoy having a great conversation with a woman. The more intelligent, the more diverse her knowledge base, the sexier she seems to me. If she is physically attractive and has likely heard how sexy she is her whole life, I typically would tell her why or what makes her sexy to me, instead of just saying "You are really sexy." The other questions, I don't think would fit in a conversation I would have with someone on a first date.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:38 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,337,770 times
If some guy had said that to me, I would have left. It is highly disrespectful talk, and no, not all guys are that rude. You may not be screening dates well enough, or maybe somehow giving them the signal (maybe unknowingly) that is is appropriate to talk to you that way, or maybe your social setting condones it and you need to get to know other types of men.

BTW, I have always been told I have that sexy thing also, to the point that I try to downplay it with clothes/styling, etc. When I was dating, if a guy crossed that line, I immediately checked out - I'd just end the date. Plenty of times I was pursued with a sheepish apology, which I ignored. I have even called out strangers at bars on it. E.g. If I walk by and some drunken guy and his friends say some nasty thing they'd like to do, I'd turn around and say "why would you say such a thing to me?" One guy found me later that night and profusely apologized for his behavior.

The first thing is respect. If you can't get it at the start of a relationship, I'd say it's time to move on.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:47 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,338,494 times
OP, it's something I've dealt with in the past, and it can be frustrating when some men are unwilling to look beyond sex appeal or appearance and truly get to know me. Dammit. I'm f*cking awesome. Like, truly. Confirming if I like fellatio is a good topic of conversation, but one to be had after building a rapport or, preferably, developing a genuine connection. That's when the topic can be rather exciting. Otherwise, it's rather obvious what the other person is looking for or fixated on.

End the conversation/communication if it veers off in a direction you're not comfortable with. I've done it many times.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM

48,352 posts, read 34,466,848 times
Let's keep it PG-13 please.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,688,107 times
Hmm, perhaps I should purchase a server and create my own adult style city-data forum

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,040,111 times
I am a firm believer that women teach men how to treat them. You have to decide if you are willing to be treated that way.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,688,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I am a firm believer that women teach men how to treat them. You have to decide if you are willing to be treated that way.
Like teaching a dog tricks?

Oh know, we have another dog trainer in here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships