Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,358 times

Advertisements

That is a question that can not be definitively answered. I mean, every couple/marriage/relationship is unique and different. My wife and I will sometimes go a week with having sex multiple times a night, to once a week. We don't panic about it, because we are generally both happy, and understand that the stresses of life can affect our sexual appetites. We are also both on medication which is often adjusted, so its a roller coaster. Many nights, I would honestly rather have her rub my head, than have sex, and vice versa.

This is a conversation that you need to sit down and talk about with your SO, not with us (I don't mean to sound mean, we just can't answer it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
2 years????? GTFO

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Guy here, but it sounds like you're justified in filing for divorce by now if that's what you want. It's highly unlikely that you'll ever have a good marriage with your current wife. Not impossible but not likely. I was in a sexless marriage with my ex for around 12 years before I finally filed for divorce. I waited until my youngest was out of high school, then told my wife I'd give her one year to either change, seek help from a doctor or counselor (with or without me), or otherwise explain why she refused sex. A year later, when she still refused to take any of those steps or talk about it, I filed for divorce.

I did not cheat on her in that time and am glad that I didn't; however, sometimes I think I let it go too long. In the end, I'm not really sorry because I met a wonderful woman just after I filed, and without putting it off that long we'd have never met. Still, what should have been my best years were spent with a housemate rather than a loving partner.

With your kids in high school, I'd probably tough it out until they graduate. I think that would be in their best interests. My daughter (youngest) still had a hard time accepting the divorce, and it hurt her college grades a little one semester, but she rebounded. I might have been able to alleviate her problems somewhat if I'd have explained the situation to her, but I refused to say anything bad about her mother so just said we were no longer on the same path. She couldn't understand it. Apparently we'd done a good job of hiding our problems.

You need to decide this based on your children. Is "holding the marriage together" worth it to them for a few more years? You'll have a tough time deciding that. If you can't go without sex that long, then I'd just file for divorce now. If you cheat and are caught, your wife will lay all the blame on you. Mine did, with every lie she could think of, from "he cheated on me constantly" to "I don't know why he filed for divorce as we had a perfect marriage."

Tough decision. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
My wife and I have been in seperate bedrooms now for over a year and have not had sex in almost two years. How long should I give her before moving on literally? Need women's opinions here, I know what all the guy's would say. Thanks!
I hate to say this but the marriage is probably already over in her mind. She may be content living like this but probably is well aware that the marriage is over.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:18 PM

347 posts, read 425,479 times
Well I just started a thread about not having sex for three years and I feel this is too damn long!!!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
Well I just started a thread about not having sex for three years and I feel this is too damn long!!!
Get out there and meet someone!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:22 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
My wife and I have been in seperate bedrooms now for over a year and have not had sex in almost two years. How long should I give her before moving on literally? Need women's opinions here, I know what all the guy's would say. Thanks!
As long as she doesn't know that it bothers you.. it could go on indefinitely.

Did you talk to her about it in a frank manner? It could be related to a medical condition....

Old 10-25-2015, 05:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Each relationship is different so I wouldn't put a time limit on it. Personally, if we went months between sex it would be a big issue that was indicative of an even bigger issue in the marriage. A year? We'd both be walking unless it was health related.

OP, based on your posts it sounds like your marriage is over OR you need to come to another agreement with your wife.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 AM

277 posts, read 271,472 times
A month is too long, unless there is a specific reason why, such as recovering from surgery or something; or if you are physically apart for some good reason (such as being away on business).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships