Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
lol true, right? Funny how guys complain about us women being "emotional" yet so often when an attractive woman is in the mix it's as if all higher brain function stops.
I think that's a people problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Funny how you decided to turn this into a "boy, you other men sure do suck post". This is about the OP's friend and his "princess" GF who didn't do anything your wife does as SAHW. I know it's hard for you to admit but some women just suck.

If you think this thread is really about OP's friend's ex then you haven't read the whole thing, specifically the parts in which it exploded into a battle ground of finger pointing and furthering of stereotypes. Some of those comments may have been removed by now by one of the moderators. And while OP does not try to claim the person described at the onset is indeed a "traditional" person, some thoughts about how or what defines a "traditional" relationship surfaced.

Here is where I made my entry to the conversation, offering my POV on the subject as well as offering as good a POV as I can manage from the other side of the discussion. I can't fully understand a woman's side to this discussion, but it doesn't take a lot of energy to at least dedicate a few brain cells toward trying to see things their way. After all, being able to do that is part of what makes any relationship work. My comments were meant to stimulate critical thought. If you feel threatenend by it, so be it. Critical thinking and honest self assessment isn't for everyone. If all you got out of it was "other men suck" then you missed the point.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

If you think this thread is really about OP's friend's ex then you haven't read the whole thing, specifically the parts in which it exploded into a battle ground of finger pointing and furthering of stereotypes. Some of those comments may have been removed by now by one of the moderators. And while OP does not try to claim the person described at the onset is indeed a "traditional" person, some thoughts about how or what defines a "traditional" relationship surfaced.

Here is where I made my entry to the conversation, offering my POV on the subject as well as offering as good a POV as I can manage from the other side of the discussion. I can't fully understand a woman's side to this discussion, but it doesn't take a lot of energy to at least dedicate a few brain cells toward trying to see things their way. After all, being able to do that is part of what makes any relationship work. My comments were meant to stimulate critical thought. If you feel threatenend by it, so be it. Critical thinking and honest self assessment isn't for everyone. If all you got out of it was "other men suck" then you missed the point.
I have missed whatever heated discussion was here on traditional roles. The moderators cleaned that up.

But it looks like you're digging way too hard for an angle that isn't present in the situation described by the OP about his friend and his friend's girl who pretty much wanted too mooch off this guy.

Look, I understand that even in traditional relationships, woman still does her fair share of work to keep the couple strong, it's a different type of work but work nonetheless. But the woman described in the OP's story didn't even want to fulfill that role which means she's not traditional, she's just a spoiled brat and the only thing the OP's buddy did wrong was getting with her in the first place. There's probably another side of the story but until that side comes forward, I'll call it like I see it because some women like the OP described simply exist.

BTW, it's hard to feel threatened by someone who misspells threatened.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What's hard to do is feel sympathy for a man would willingly get into a serious relationship with a selfish, sucky woman and then whine about it to his friends.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
lol true, right? Funny how guys complain about us women being "emotional" yet so often when an attractive woman is in the mix it's as if all higher brain function stops.
It adds fuel to the "men think with their little head" argument doesn't it.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
I have missed whatever heated discussion was here on traditional roles. The moderators cleaned that up.

But it looks like you're digging way too hard for an angle that isn't present in the situation described by the OP about his friend and his friend's girl who pretty much wanted too mooch off this guy.
Not everyone's understanding of a conversation is as limited as yours.

You missed part of the conversation, but had you been able to read the whole thing, my post would have flowed a lot better. Either way, a conversation can and should be a living entity, not necessarily constrained to the limits of the original parameters. I don't think OP mentioned this girl to talk about her, but rather to introduce the larger concept of roles and responsibilities within a relationship. I can't speak for the OP, but that certainly seems to be what a lot of posters believed as well, because the discussion quickly evolved from the individual example given to the broader concept at large. And to that end, introducing a POV consistent with the topic but from the other side of the debate is never a bad thing.

I realize some people just want to have their say and not hear anything that challenges where they stand on a matter. If that's how they feel, perhaps discussion on a public forum is the wrong place.

Quote:
Look, I understand that even in traditional relationships, woman still does her fair share of work to keep the couple strong, it's a different type of work but work nonetheless. But the woman described in the OP's story didn't even want to fulfill that role which means she's not traditional, she's just a spoiled brat and the only thing the OP's buddy did wrong was getting with her in the first place. There's probably another side of the story but until that side comes forward, I'll call it like I see it because some women like the OP described simply exist.
There absolutely is another side to the story, so I take two approaches. First, I just take the OP at face value. I have no reason not to do so. The other approach is to assume I'm getting a half truth because I know I'm only getting one side of the story.

So if I take the OP at face value, I agree this person is a bit of a mooch, and not "traditional" at all. Women like her exist, no doubt about it. But if I assume I'm only getting one side of the story, I'd simply withhold judgment until I knew more. I'm not going to "call it like I see it" when I know I'm not seeing the whole picture.

Quote:
BTW, it's hard to feel threatened by someone who misspells threatened.
Everyone makes typos. If I made my superior spelling and grammar part of my argument, perhaps this would be a fair critique. But since you have taken time to focus on a simple mistake that anyone could have made I am inclined to believe my initial impression that you missed the point is spot on, and that you are indeed "threatenend" when the comforts of your ideals are challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships