Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,507 times

Advertisements

Does a More Equal Marriage Mean Less Sex? - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM

706 posts, read 1,204,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
It must be that after the men do all those domesticated chores they're just too tired to have sex.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times
An interesting article. As it noted, they can't directly establish a link between correlation and causation, but I did find one thing rather interesting. To paraphrase a few of the paragraphs in the article:

Gay men tend to look for sexual compatibility first (what they refer to as the "initial filter"), whereas lesbians look for the same things that hetero women look for initially (goals, non-physical traits, intelligence, etc.). The end result is that, for the relationships that survive long enough to mature into RELATIONSHIPS, the gay men will have more sex than lesbians or straight couples. They note that men "prioritize the erotic" which would work in a gay relationship, but in a hetero one, men "have to deal with heterosexual women".

Not sure if all that is a defining reason for less sex in those situations, but it's food for thought.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM

339 posts, read 379,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
An interesting article. As it noted, they can't directly establish a link between correlation and causation, but I did find one thing rather interesting. To paraphrase a few of the paragraphs in the article:

Gay men tend to look for sexual compatibility first (what they refer to as the "initial filter"), whereas lesbians look for the same things that hetero women look for initially (goals, non-physical traits, intelligence, etc.). The end result is that, for the relationships that survive long enough to mature into RELATIONSHIPS, the gay men will have more sex than lesbians or straight couples. They note that men "prioritize the erotic" which would work in a gay relationship, but in a hetero one, men "have to deal with heterosexual women".

Not sure if all that is a defining reason for less sex in those situations, but it's food for thought.
There's the crux of the problem there in bold.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
There's the crux of the problem there in bold.
Hmmm, but even the priorities of hetero women can change over time. At age 46 I have a whole different view of the domestic scene than I did when I married at 26. I no longer expect to own/maintain a 3000 sf suburban mortgaged lifestyle with my partner. It was TOO MUCH work for 2 adults to do and still enjoy life. We were too dumb to see it. I have different ambitions and expectations at this point. When I meet a man with a 4 bedroom house and a mortgage who thinks he wants the right woman to come and share it with him, I think...NEXT!

I'm still looking for goals, physical traits, Intelligence and sex! And yes, we should distribute household duties equitably. I don't think that's a bad thing. If i Just wanted sexual compatibility, I would not want to live with someone else. Why bother?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM

339 posts, read 379,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Hmmm, but even the priorities of hetero women can change over time. At age 46 I have a whole different view of the domestic scene than I did when I married at 26. I no longer expect to own/maintain a 3000 sf suburban mortgaged lifestyle with my partner. It was TOO MUCH work for 2 adults to do and still enjoy life. We were too dumb to see it. I have different ambitions and expectations at this point. When I meet a man with a 4 bedroom house and a mortgage who thinks he wants the right woman to come and share it with him, I think...NEXT!

I'm still looking for goals, physical traits, Intelligence and sex! And yes, we should distribute household duties equitably. I don't think that's a bad thing. If i Just wanted sexual compatibility, I would not want to live with someone else. Why bother?
Yeah, that's the problem.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
When it comes to equality, women are very selective in what they want. Sometimes they want to be equal and sometimes they don't.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,869,653 times
I smell a battle royale of the sexes brewing.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
Yeah, that's the problem.
Because men are consistent throughout their entire lives, never cause problems, and are just helpless victims of all those nasty hetero women.

Remind me why you're in this forum when you don't date and have no use for women??

Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,799,884 times
I didn't read the whole article--I only skimmed it. But I found one nugget interesting: while they say that an equal partnership supposedly lead to less sex, it also leads to less divorce (it said that where men do 40% of the chores and women earn 40% of the income there is a less likely chance of divorce).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships