Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's just not good manners to refer to yourself as "hot"

It sounds arrogant.
Okay, I'll remember that next time I'm stranded in 120 degree weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 02:10 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDancergirl View Post
Also, men can call themselves handsome and no one says a word! Why is it more acceptable for men to say they are good looking? Huh! Inquiring minds want to know!
In what world???

Old 02-09-2014, 02:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I find all the girls on the Philly squad beddable but none out of reach for any man, IMO.

I also find women (and men) who are pretentious/vein about their attractiveness are somewhat a narcissist.

Some people just can't grasp the concept of humbleness and modesty; possibly a trait of immaturity, Idk

There are shiploads of men (and probably also women) who would dispute that.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM

26 posts, read 34,194 times
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201206/the-psychology-beauty

I always believed that beautiful woman doesn't acknowledge how good they look.

It happens in front of me, girl friends would always think

they're ugly and when people compliment how good they look, they don't take it literally and they think they were

just being nice enough to mention what a women would love to hear.

I remember one time my guy friend asked my girl friend where did get her beauty from, and

poor girl, I dk if beauty comes with a low self esteem or confident for real, but she just went silent, way too

surprised then laughed! It was just too obvious that she doesn't know how attractive and an eye catcher she is.

With no offense, I think that those regular looking woman who are always desperately trying to reach that high level

of being beautiful, attractive and a neck breaker and hear those nice words from people to boost their self esteem

about themselves.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
If you're sexy, it should be self evident in the way you post. That's been my experience anyway, and I've rarely been wrong based on the what I've seen here.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, you misunderstood her, Magna. She was only saying that disclosing tmi online would be creepy.

How on earth could she consider YOU creepy? You's a niiiiiice boy!

Are you sure? Hmm. I thought it was the fact that I remembered, and looked for the information on the cheerleaders pictures to see which one she was made it creepy, which....when I type it out, kinda seems that way. LMAO!

You're just saying that to make the Canuck in you happy.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Are you sure? Hmm. I thought it was the fact that I remembered, and looked for the information on the cheerleaders pictures to see which one she was made it creepy, which....when I type it out, kinda seems that way. LMAO!

You're just saying that to make the Canuck in you happy.
Get her!

Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 PM

684 posts, read 825,121 times
Quote:
Serious question. I created a thread where I simply said I am attractive and people jumped all over me. Do people assume you think you're better than them for saying your an attractive person? I just never understood the negative comments that follow when someone states this. It's ok to describe yourself as intelligent, funny, ambitious, whatever, but as soon as someone says they are attractive all hell breaks loose. I get that beauty is subjective , but i think that if a majority of people agree that you are good looking, it's pretty safe to say it's true. I don't get why it's ok for others to acknowledge but your supposed to pretend that you don't know. Even when someone compliments you, your supposed to act like no one else has ever mentioned it and play it off.

Pro? Don't worry too much about what anyone says. Humility does not require that you tell lies about yourself.

Anyone who believes that humility is someone attractive saying they aren't, or someone brilliant saying they're stupid, or the Worlds Strongest man pretending he's a 70 pound weakling - They don't understand humility. That's simply being false.

The question is one only you can answer: If you believe your beauty makes you of inherently more worth than another human being, then that is vanity.

Be happy you're beautiful. Celebrate all the gifts you've been given and all the things you've worked for. That's okay. It's healthy, even, as long as you can celebrate the gifts that others have been given and the things that they've worked for. Don't worry what anyone on the internet says.

If you had a daughter, you would tell her she was beautiful, brilliant, talented and wonderful. And you would hope that she would believe it, not berate her if she did. As long as you have room in your heart for other people, most people are happy for your self-confidence.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM

284 posts, read 340,881 times
Quote:
Serious question. I created a thread where I simply said I am attractive and people jumped all over me. Do people assume you think you're better than them for saying your an attractive person? I just never understood the negative comments that follow when someone states this. It's ok to describe yourself as intelligent, funny, ambitious, whatever, but as soon as someone says they are attractive all hell breaks loose. I get that beauty is subjective , but i think that if a majority of people agree that you are good looking, it's pretty safe to say it's true. I don't get why it's ok for others to acknowledge but your supposed to pretend that you don't know. Even when someone compliments you, your supposed to act like no one else has ever mentioned it and play it off.
I find a lot of these responses hilarious! The truth of the matter is that people "jumped on you" in part because of jealousy. Yes, people publicly condemn egotism but a large portion of their response was geared at the fact that most people just don't respond well to a person proclaiming that he/she is "beautiful/attractive/hot/sexy/etc".

I just read an interview by ScarJo where she states that she gave the men on the set a huge confidence boost because they were around her. My initial response was "Oh Scarlett..." and I sort of shook my head but it probably was the truth. In a world of political correctness, people are so worried about being judged and called self-loving, vapid, egotistical, self-absorbed, etc.

As Metaphysique pointed out, it might have been a superfluous detail... but sometimes, it does provide context.

To all who keep making the erroneous comment that beautiful people don't know that they are beautiful, please stop! Quite frankly, most people who are attractive do know that they're attractive because besides having two functioning eyes, people generally respond differently to attractive people (common sense, though several studies have looked at this). Smart people just know how to downplay their awareness of it.

Personally, I always get a reality check when I audition for a fashion show and I see all the other girls there. It gives you a whole new perspective on what it means to be "attractive." No matter beautiful, sexy or elegant you think you are, there will always be at least 2 other girls that will make you question how you rank physically

That is why I rarely define myself by how I look. Although you won't hear me complain when others do it for me. LOL

Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM

284 posts, read 340,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Pro? Don't worry too much about what anyone says. Humility does not require that you tell lies about yourself.

If you had a daughter, you would tell her she was beautiful, brilliant, talented and wonderful. And you would hope that she would believe it, not berate her if she did. As long as you have room in your heart for other people, most people are happy for your self-confidence.
Tempus, I agree with you 100%! I get irritated when people adopt false modesty and lie to look "humble." For example, I see a girl who is dressed very nicely and I compliment her on her appearance. She responds, "Oh this old thing?" When we both know that her hair & make-up likely took her over 1 hour, and the dress is part of this season's fashion!

If people appreciate how you look, a simple "thank you" will suffice. False modesty is just as irritating as vanity in my book.

I also like your closing comment. So many women walk around with low confidence because their parents never helped reinforce their value. That is one of the things I really appreciate my parents for.

Thank you for that reminder to call my parents! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships