Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Talk with him about getting a vasectomy. Should solve both of your problems.

"Getting a vasectomy is like a woman receiving a lifetime supply of birth control pills -- without the side effects.
A vasectomy is a simple procedure. Surgeons cut the vas deferens, which are the two tubes that transport sperm from the testicles to the penis. With these two quick slices, a man's semen is sperm-free, and he can enjoy permanent birth control.
Vasectomies are considered a permanent form of birth control, but some men do opt to reverse them. This is accomplished with a procedure known as a vasovasostomy".
Not a good plan since they apparently want to have children later down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly234 View Post
Thanks, but I do not want anything implanted into my uterus. Also, although the copper IUD is hormone free, it is not without side effects. A possible side effect is longer/heavier periods.

Nothing is "implanted" into anything, it is merely "inserted" there is a huge difference between the two procedures.
From all of the excuses you have come up with so far I think the best thing for you and your husband to do until you want to have children is to abstain from sex. That is the only non implanted, non side effect, non chance of getting pregnant before you are ready method that is 100% effective and safe.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
For the IUD, she'd need to find a provider that will perform the procedure because the IUD is best for women who have given birth.

OP, if you're not too keen on hormones then your options are fertility awareness method and vaginal contraceptive film. Or, just opt for a hormonal BC that has a low dose of hormones. Weigh the pros and cons of each.
I would NOT rely on any type of fertility timing method! Women differ tremendously in their fertility. Some women can get pregnant at any time in their cycle. Women have been known to get pregnant even during their period. This isn't a reliable form of bc at all.

OP, it sounds like you two pretty much have the best method you can hope for, short of a reversible procedure for either one of you. If your husband is uncooperative re: using a condom on occasion, that says something about him as a person. The fact that he believes that you chose the diaphragm in order to deliberately "complicate" sex and birth control speaks volumes, imo. I'm sorry you're not with someone who's more supportive, cooperative, and easygoing.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
WTF is wrong with you people who think the solution to her problem is to just suck it up and go on the pill?

OP, I have pretty much all the same problems with birth control that you do. I don't want an IUD becuase it would make my already bad periods worse and probably crampier, and if I get one and don't like it, I'd have to go back to the doctor to get it removed.

That said, I told my husband that I was going off the pill because I didn't like the hormonal effects (it makes me less horny, among other things) and he's fine with using condoms and withdrawal. Withdrawal is actually more effective than people give it credit for if done correctly. I am at a point in life where getting pregnant wouldn't be the end of the world, but I used it in my younger years as well. Perhaps you guys would be ok with using this instead of condoms when you're without your diaphragm?

My husband would never tell me that I should just suck it up and consume some chemical that is screwing with my body. He would never presume to make decisions for my body or my health. If you have looked into these birth control methods and decided they aren't for you, then he needs to respect that - a lot of women have made that decisions for reasons similar to yours. If he has decided that condoms aren't for him and he doesn't want to wait for you to put in your diaphragm, then maybe you guys just do "other things" on those nights instead. But he shouldn't be pressuring you into taking birth control pills because he can't be bothered to shoulder some of the responsibility, inconvenience, and discomfort of birth control.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM

332 posts, read 498,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
WTF is wrong with you people who think the solution to her problem is to just suck it up and go on the pill?

OP, I have pretty much all the same problems with birth control that you do. I don't want an IUD becuase it would make my already bad periods worse and probably crampier, and if I get one and don't like it, I'd have to go back to the doctor to get it removed.

That said, I told my husband that I was going off the pill because I didn't like the hormonal effects (it makes me less horny, among other things) and he's fine with using condoms and withdrawal. Withdrawal is actually more effective than people give it credit for if done correctly. I am at a point in life where getting pregnant wouldn't be the end of the world, but I used it in my younger years as well. Perhaps you guys would be ok with using this instead of condoms when you're without your diaphragm?

My husband would never tell me that I should just suck it up and consume some chemical that is screwing with my body. He would never presume to make decisions for my body or my health. If you have looked into these birth control methods and decided they aren't for you, then he needs to respect that - a lot of women have made that decisions for reasons similar to yours. If he has decided that condoms aren't for him and he doesn't want to wait for you to put in your diaphragm, then maybe you guys just do "other things" on those nights instead. But he shouldn't be pressuring you into taking birth control pills because he can't be bothered to shoulder some of the responsibility, inconvenience, and discomfort of birth control.
It's not that the OP should necessarily go on the pill. It's just that with what she has ruled out, and what her husband is unhappy with, there really isn't much left in the way of reliable options. Someone is going to have to compromise.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
People have been using natural forms of birth control forever. If that's the path you want to take, the old school whoops baby is the obvious consequence. So, if that's a risk you two are willing to take, then continue on the path.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
It's not that the OP should necessarily go on the pill. It's just that with what she has ruled out, and what her husband is unhappy with, there really isn't much left in the way of reliable options. Someone is going to have to compromise.
She's already using a diaphragm. Either he can take a breather while she puts it in, or he can put on a condom. That is the compromise. I'm sure the OP would prefer if her husband just took care of the birth control so she wouldn't have to think about it or pollute her body and could just show up horny and ready to go. I know I would. But if that isn't realistic for her, why should he expect the same?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
For women with regular cycles, fertility awareness is nearly as effective as the pill.

Unfortunately, the OP is not in that category.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 PM

332 posts, read 498,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
She's already using a diaphragm. Either he can take a breather while she puts it in, or he can put on a condom. That is the compromise. I'm sure the OP would prefer if her husband just took care of the birth control so she wouldn't have to think about it or pollute her body and could just show up horny and ready to go. I know I would. But if that isn't realistic for her, why should he expect the same?
Yeah, that was basically my point. I probably should have been clearer.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Drawbacks of circumcision?

It's my understanding that circumcised men lose a lot of sensitive nerve endings after..."snip-snip." The natural gliding sensation that uncut men have is lost to cut men. Consequently, they aren't as sensitive down there and need more direct contact to achieve similar feeling.

Just a theory...not sure if it holds water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships