Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Monogamous relationships are natural for humans?
Yes 19 38.00%
No 20 40.00%
Maybe, not sure 11 22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:10 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
If we are limited the conversation to what is "natural" they the answer is yes and no. Evolution pulls in both directions. It puts pressures on the fecundity that comes with non-monogamy - while also putting pressures on the benefits of mated pairs or groups. We are at all times pulled in all directions by "nature" and it is a fine line - natural selection waiting on the side lines to jump on and select for any advantage one side of the struggle gains on the other.

Some great points, but one thing to consider is that humans, more than other species, have had different mating systems emerge in different parts of the globe at different times. Monogamy some places, harems in others, and there have been a few others. The arguments I've seen largely base the differences on not only difficulty of raising offspring to breeding age (successful reproduction, in essence), but also distribution of resources over the landscape. That varies widely from arid/deserts, to temperate climes, to tropical climes... we shouldn't expect a one model fits all (at least evolutionarily) outcome considering the incredibly wide variety in climates humans live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:56 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
One thing I always find interesting in these debates (and I am not sure if it's true here because I don't know the gender behind the screen names of everyone) but I would have these debates when I studied anthropology in college. Usually men argued more that we are not monogamous and women would argue more that we are. But monogamy benefits men a lot more than it does women. First off, it means (since male to female ratios are roughly 50:50) that every man has a good chance of finding a mate. If we lived in harems and such like gorillas... there would be a lot of men who get killed by other men to reduce their numbers (or to defend groups of females). But even that aside... here's the evolutionary argument for it.

For males, monogamy can have evolutionary benefits | Reuters

I think sometimes in our age of easy (and not natural) birth control, we forget the reason why sex is so fun is because it needed to be so our species would survive. The point of sex is to have offspring.

So why do women like monogamy... same reason, survival of offspring

Pretty interesting stuff. The article does also say that culture plays a lot into it as well.

By the way, I love this stuff. There is a reason I took so many anthropology classes in college Should have dual majored in it.
Rep JB!
Good stuff. I took Sociology and Anthropology classes as my electives in college and if it wasn't for Engineering paying well I would have loved to study people and history exclusively.

"So why do women like monogamy... same reason, survival of offspring"

Applies to men too. Children who are abandoned by their fathers have a much lower chance in life of success as shown time and again by the statistics. Extended family seems to be able to fill in too, as was the case was with Obama being raised by his Grand Parents. Whats really intereresting is the desire and possible need for children to reach out for their Dead beat dads even when they did not know him.

Apparently it also serves the child in separation cases for the parents to get along and stay engaged with the development of their children. I see this with many of the people I work with. I doubt many of those kids will end up going to prison or doing poorly in life.

I wonder if men and some women that abandon their children are biological anomolies that are only making a comeback because the Government fills in

Last edited by LS Jaun; 02-19-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Some great points, but one thing to consider
I think my points did consider this though. I think what you are saying is a case of "my point exactly". We are pulled by environmental pressures - - and environment can be our genes - society structure - resources - landscape and much more - in both directions. When it comes down to a solely "natural" discussion of monogamy the answer to the OP can really only be a yes AND a no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships