Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times

Advertisements

So I was just watching modern family and it was an episode about trust when it comes to cell phones. Kids and spouse alike.

I've had a cell phone since I was 15 Im 24 now. I have always been one of those people who hates when others touch my phone, anyone. Don't touch it, you have one. Dont swipe through my pictures. Dont read my texts or messages of any kind.

Now before I sound like a raging b**** im not totally like that to my boyfriend. We live together, together for almost 4 years so clearly he allowed to touch my phone.

He drives me crazy though, always asking who im texting then ask what about and will sometimes grab it away and start reading ****, all while laughing and playing keep away.

He just doesnt seem to respect the fact that I can have a private conversation with a friend and it be totally fine. It just seems like he is always trying to see what I am saying. It drives me nuts.

Im not hiding anything but dayummm somethings are just private.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
It's the same as reading your mail. Go through his mail and see how he reacts.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
I wouldn't put up with such things. If a woman wanted to read through my messages I would tell her not to and that is that. If she continued I'd probably not continue asking her out, simple as that. He is insecure, what us men call a ninny.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
I think it's disrespectful to grab your phone and read your messages, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask who you're texting with.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think it's disrespectful to grab your phone and read your messages, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask who you're texting with.
I do. My mom used to do that crap. The last person I want acting like my mom is my boyfriend.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I do. My mom used to do that crap. The last person I want acting like my mom is my boyfriend.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So I was just watching modern family and it was an episode about trust when it comes to cell phones. Kids and spouse alike.

I've had a cell phone since I was 15 Im 24 now. I have always been one of those people who hates when others touch my phone, anyone. Don't touch it, you have one. Dont swipe through my pictures. Dont read my texts or messages of any kind.

Now before I sound like a raging b**** im not totally like that to my boyfriend. We live together, together for almost 4 years so clearly he allowed to touch my phone.

He drives me crazy though, always asking who im texting then ask what about and will sometimes grab it away and start reading ****, all while laughing and playing keep away.

He just doesnt seem to respect the fact that I can have a private conversation with a friend and it be totally fine. It just seems like he is always trying to see what I am saying. It drives me nuts.

Im not hiding anything but dayummm somethings are just private.

Does anyone else have this issue?

First, snatching something out of your hand is abusive. I would not tolerate that for one instant. Next time he does it, tell him you are not okay with it, and ask him how he would like it if you snatched something out of his hand while he was using it. I mean, really, what a juvenile thing to do.

Second, he most certainly is disrespecting your boundaries. That is something else I would absolutely not tolerate. It's none of his damn business what chit-chat you have with your buds. Tell him to get a life and mind his own phone.

Third, stop texting people in his presence. Consider whether you might be zoning out or ignoring him while he is talking to you, and whether he is getting frustrated with it. I absolutely could not stand it when my ex would sit there staring at his phone like a zombie. The way I see it, if you are with someone, be in the moment with that person. Otherwise, that person should feel free to leave you alone to your electronics and go to another room, go out, go home, etc. That doesn't give him the right to grab your phone out of your hands or go through it, but maybe you're being rude in how you use it and he's trying to tell you how he feels.

You're young. In your shoes, I'd probably consider moving out. Insecure people who don't respect boundaries are unacceptable to me.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
I'm with you, so long as it's not constant or intrusive. My wife texts all the time and I rarely ask.

I once had a girlfriend who scrolled through my phone and deleted any female contacts she did not approve of. She did this without my knowledge and some of them were work contacts. When I asked her to consider how she would feel if I deleted male contacts of hers she shook her head and tried to say, "That's different..." That's as far as she got and I just hung up on her.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
One should never go through a SO's cell phone (especially your man) what you will find isn't going to be good, lol.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
He's insecure if he has to know who you're talking to all the time. But plays it off like he's just messing with you. Call him on it every single time he does it. Embarrass him, shame him.

The only time I'll ever ask is when we're trying to watch a movie or in the middle of something, and it's not about who, it's about what's so important you have to chat right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships