Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 3,236 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been together for 34 years. We have never been married and have 3 sons together.

Lately, however, she has been pushing the marriage issue. We were watching a film the other day and there was a wedding scene. She asked me if it wouldn't be great if we had the same moment together. She randomly asks me where I would like to go if we had a honeymoon or if I've never imagined her in a wedding dress.

I told her that had never been an issue between us but she either changes subjects or says she's allowed to daydream.

I hope her hyper religious friends have not been feeding ideas into her head.

Why would she want to marry after all these years? Women's input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
She's female and most likely wants to experience the whole bride thing. Or she's tired of being the perpetual girlfriend, which doesn't really mean anything anyway.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Perhaps it has to do with making things easier monetarily and legally if one of you passes away or is hospitalized or something. If you've been with her for 34 years, shouldn't you be able to talk to her about this?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
I don't know how old you are, but considering you've been together for over 30 years, the first thing that comes to mind (if you are reaching your late 50s, early 60s) is so you will both have medical rights (next of kin and spousal medical decisions) should one of you get sick. If you are living together and share a house, there is also tax-free transfer of property should one of you die.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Or she's tired of being the perpetual girlfriend, which doesn't really mean anything anyway.
As you can imagine, by now I don't refer to her as my "girlfriend".

Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't know how old you are, but considering you've been together for over 30 years, the first thing that comes to mind (if you are reaching your late 50s, early 60s) is so you will both have medical rights (next of kin and spousal medical decisions) should one of you get sick. If you are living together and share a house, there is also tax-free transfer of property should one of you die.
This is exactly what I was thinking, assuming that the two of you haven't been together since you were teenagers, she's probably thinking about this in terms of spousal rights. If you are older you may want to consider going through with it just for the sake of spousal rights. It's obvious that you already have a strong relationship and marriage seemingly wouldn't change it.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It's never too late to tie the knot. And she may be concerned with her future security if you were to pass away. Is she working? If not, she would get your Social Security if you were to pass away. If you love her, wouldn't you want to see that she would get at least some minimum guarantees in her old age?

Also, your kids would have inheritance rights, which they don't have right now.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Maybe she is getting ideas of her own and has come to feel that it is more important now to her than it was years ago.

You've been with her for 34 years and you know who she is... What would you lose by marrying her.

If it makes her happy, how can it be bad?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 PM

350 posts, read 477,744 times
What does getting married have to do with religion? I am an atheist and my husband and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this year. We were married outside (his parents' backyard) by a licensed individual (who happened to be a clergyman, but who consented to our wedding) with our own marriage vows. It was not a religious ceremony ... just a celebration of our commitment to each other.

It certainly does mean something in the legal terms of medical, property and Social Security benefits.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Perhaps it has to do with making things easier monetarily and legally if one of you passes away or is hospitalized or something. If you've been with her for 34 years, shouldn't you be able to talk to her about this?
All the legal issues have been sorted out a few years ago, so that's not the problem. Like I've said, I've tried to talk with her about this but she always changes the subject or acts like it was a random idea that just got through her head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships