Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times

Advertisements

So I've been seeing this guy for a couple of weeks, he texts or calls me practically everyday. So we last spoke on Friday and then I didn't here from him again until Sunday night which I thought was odd, but just figured maybe he lost interest or something. So when he texted me Sunday night I really wasn't very responsive, then on Tuesday he texted me and asked if he did or said something wrong, so I said no and he asked why I was giving him the cold shoulder and then went on to say that looks like we have a communication problem. I told him to call me so we can talk over the phone, which he did.

So when he called there was some small talk at first and then he went on to ask me what I was looking for so I said, "I think you're a nice guy and I'd like to keep seeing you" and then he said "I mean what are you looking for with me"? Since I thought I had just answered that question I just repeated what I said before, "I like and I want to keep seeing you" so then he gets all weird and says "well I freak out when things get serious" and then goes on to say "I don't want to hurt you in the long run" and stuff like that. I'm just confused as to why he even brought this conversation up, we've only been seeing each other a couple weeks and I've never said or implied anything about getting serious with him.

I hate saying this but part of me feels like he didn't get the answer he wanted from me so he acted like he's the one who doesn't want anything serious. Does anybody else find this a bit confusing or strange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Yea, I know I dont like not getting the answer I am looking for. What he said was weird though, if you were not very responsive and things seemed to be stalling out then I would just keep looking. Its odd that you did not hear from him on the most social days of the week (unless he works some bizare schedule that has him working on fri and sat?).

With you not being responsive that would be the opposite of things getting serious so I dont really get it either. Are you sleeping with him yet?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Yea, I know I dont like not getting the answer I am looking for. What he said was weird though, if you were not very responsive and things seemed to be stalling out then I would just keep looking. Its odd that you did not hear from him on the most social days of the week (unless he works some bizare schedule that has him working on fri and sat?).

With you not being responsive that would be the opposite of things getting serious so I dont really get it either. Are you sleeping with him yet?
Yes, I have slept with him.

I figure, if you're not looking for anything just let it fizzle out instead of aggressively contacting me to figure out what's gone wrong.

And no he does not work on Saturdays.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
Why are you wasting your time with a man who doesn't know what he wants?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Why are you wasting your time with a man who doesn't know what he wants?
Well I didn't really realize I was wasting my time until recently, I'm usually very quick to write men off, just wanted to think a little before I do the same to this one.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So I've been seeing this guy for a couple of weeks, he texts or calls me practically everyday. So we last spoke on Friday and then I didn't here from him again until Sunday night which I thought was odd, but just figured maybe he lost interest or something. So when he texted me Sunday night I really wasn't very responsive, then on Tuesday he texted me and asked if he did or said something wrong, so I said no and he asked why I was giving him the cold shoulder and then went on to say that looks like we have a communication problem. I told him to call me so we can talk over the phone, which he did.

So when he called there was some small talk at first and then he went on to ask me what I was looking for so I said, "I think you're a nice guy and I'd like to keep seeing you" and then he said "I mean what are you looking for with me"? Since I thought I had just answered that question I just repeated what I said before, "I like and I want to keep seeing you" so then he gets all weird and says "well I freak out when things get serious" and then goes on to say "I don't want to hurt you in the long run" and stuff like that. I'm just confused as to why he even brought this conversation up, we've only been seeing each other a couple weeks and I've never said or implied anything about getting serious with him.

I hate saying this but part of me feels like he didn't get the answer he wanted from me so he acted like he's the one who doesn't want anything serious. Does anybody else find this a bit confusing or strange?
Yep, he didn't get the answer he wanted from you: You didn't fawn all over him and tell him he was the best thing since sliced bread, so he puffed himself up with the delusion that he could hurt you in the long run. You were supposed to be upset that he didn't grace you with his presence or any communication on Saturday. You were supposed to be heartbroken and ego-stroking.

I'd have played that interaction differently. First, I don't do texting, other than "Running 10 mins late." So it's good that you told him to call you.

But after he said he freaks out when things get serious, I'd have said, "I don't recall saying anything about getting serious."

He probably would have said, "Oh, well, just so you know. I don't want to hurt you in the long run."

I'd have said, "Don't worry. You won't. I appreciate your honesty. If and when I want something serious, I will know you are not up for it."

And then I probably wouldn't have bothered with him again unless I wanted to get laid or something--but only if he was good at it and I had no one and nothing else to do.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Did you ever explain to him that the reason you were slower to respond to him after Sunday was that he hadn't contacted you all weekend until Sunday evening? Does he have any awareness at all that you were simply reacting to his lack of communication?

It all sounds a bit childish and game-playing. The drama isn't worth it.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
In my opinion, you chose to play games with him by being pretty nonresponsive when he tried to communicate with you on Sunday. In your OP you said he called or texted PRACTICALLY everyday. So you went out on Friday and heard from him on Sunday. Apparently that doesn't equate to practically everyday to you so you got pissed and decided to shut him off. I'd imagine he is also confused. If you want to keep playing this kind of game you are probably better off writing him off.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
In my opinion, you chose to play games with him by being pretty nonresponsive when he tried to communicate with you on Sunday. In your OP you said he called or texted PRACTICALLY everyday. So you went out on Friday and heard from him on Sunday. Apparently that doesn't equate to practically everyday to you so you got pissed and decided to shut him off. I'd imagine he is also confused. If you want to keep playing this kind of game you are probably better off writing him off.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you ever explain to him that the reason you were slower to respond to him after Sunday was that he hadn't contacted you all weekend until Sunday evening? Does he have any awareness at all that you were simply reacting to his lack of communication?

It all sounds a bit childish and game-playing. The drama isn't worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I don't know, you two. I get the sense he came on strong, then disappeared on the weekend, when most people have dates. She said she spoke to him on Friday, not that they went out.

My guess is he probably went out with friends and got a few numbers or something, and was trying to suss out the OP's interest in him. If he was into her, he would have made a date with her for some point over the weekend. Instead, he let the whole weekend go.

But she didn't seem to notice, so it chapped his ego a bit. He may not have wanted anything serious, but egos are funny things: He was probably irked that she didn't appear to want him all that much, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships