U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:17 PM

8,344 posts, read 15,886,902 times
Default Asexual relationships, is it possible?

Seems like a prerequisite for a relationship is an interest in sex. I have never been able to keep a girlfriend because eventually it ends in this subject and she becomes offended. I have no sex drive and never have, as for a relationship a friendship is fine, but when you befriend the opposite sex, others imply a sexual relationship. Does lack of interest in sex mean that you will live and die alone? I have always heard that most women hate sex, but have found that to be a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:20 PM

15,193 posts, read 24,555,679 times
Newsflash - Most women ENJOY sex! A lot of us are even more hot-blooded than our men!!!

Maybe you just haven't found the right person for you. Keep looking because I believe there is someone for everyone.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 PM

5,108 posts, read 7,469,250 times
I have known couples who did not engage in sex. They are happy to "not have to deal with that." I believe it is farily common, but somewhat closeted, because they don't want to be ridiculed. I think as long as you are open and up front about it when you are dating, that there are people who would be content with that type of relationship. I believe there "really is someone for everybody" no matter what your sexual preference or non-preference.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 32,281 times
I think DiamondD is right. I know of people who are married and young and barely have sex. I'm sure there are many people out there that lack sex drive and yearn only or mostly for companionship.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM

3,403 posts, read 9,074,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveAllAutoTransport View Post
I think DiamondD is right. I know of people who are married and young and barely have sex. I'm sure there are many people out there that lack sex drive and yearn only or mostly for companionship.
Wouldn't that fall under a friendship category then? or.. strictly platonic, as they call it?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 11,586,559 times
Although sex is not the most important part of a relationship, it is important and so is the handholding, hugging, etc. that leads to sex.

Otherwise, it's a friendship. Sex seals the deal.

Last edited by songinthewind7; 12-03-2007 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 12-03-2007, 02:38 PM

4,179 posts, read 8,940,605 times
I know a woman from the get-go who never wanted to have sex period--with a man or other woman. She made it known to all. But, she did meet a man and they have been married for quite a few years without sex. Whatever floats your fancy. I am sure there is someone out there for you.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM

3,403 posts, read 9,074,714 times
I could see this as being a very plausible argument for someone that was medically handicapped in that area, to abstein from having sex.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM

6,530 posts, read 8,893,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Newsflash - Most women ENJOY sex! A lot of us are even more hot-blooded than our men!!!

Maybe you just haven't found the right person for you. Keep looking because I believe there is someone for everyone.
Sounds to me like you glossed over the OP and didn't catch at all what he was saying his situation was.....

Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM

5,108 posts, read 7,469,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Wouldn't that fall under a friendship category then? or.. strictly platonic, as they call it?
No there is a difference. There is friendship, there is roommates, and there is also "lovers without sex." Which is just what it says, a depth of intimacy and companionship, and commitment to the relationship, without the sex. There is a difference between a friend, a best friend, and lovers without sex. If I have a long-term lover, say, and something happens he is no longer able to have sex, then I could see myself staying with him. I'm not with him just for the sex. But that is someone I already know and am committed to. I'm not sure I would choose it from the get-go. Different set of circumstances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships