Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just search everyone's profile and click on the ones that look hot. I then read the profile to make sure she doesn't have anything that annoys me. If they pass that, I send a message.
I've never done online dating, but I have to assume that's what most men do. Most men probably don't care about what's in a woman's profile, they just look at pics and try to find women they think are hot/attractive. So the OP probably needs to worry about working on her pictures and less time typing out some long biography that must dudes don't care about anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I've never done online dating, but I have to assume that's what most men do. Most men probably don't care about what's in a woman's profile, they just look at pics and try to find women they think are hot/attractive. So the OP probably needs to worry about working on her pictures and less time typing out some long biography that must dudes don't care about anyway.
You just bolded one half of what I said and completely ignored the other half that doesn't agree with your view..

Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Oh, I am not having any problems. The volume of messaging and such is nice and manageable for me and I have a date already. I don't want any more traffic. I was just curious what other people did just because I like to know how people think. I also thought it was funny that so many men will message me with "we have so much in common, let's meet" when it's clear they didn't read my profile at all. I was wondering what's up with that. If they are just looking at the profile pic and messaging, that would explain it (and that seems to be common).

I guess what is also curious to me is that they message me like that and then don't respond when I do. I respond to their message and THEN I will see they then look at my profile and then never answer. It's just weird... they contact me in the first place. Did they change their minds? Message me on accident? Do they message everyone and then just look at those who respond? Did I scare them by responding? lol

Old 03-04-2014, 07:49 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Oh and if they say that Jesus is a big part of their life, that's an instant turn-off.
For me, it depends on how they say it. I'm looking for religious compatibility and since I consider myself a liberal Christian, I'm looking for someone of similar faith. A holy roller would no more pass muster than an atheist, but I could date an agnostic--someone who questions, iow.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM

284 posts, read 340,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
That's about how I'd do it if I went on a dating site. Filter by location, then filter by only people with a picture, then read the profiles of anyone I find attractive and shoot a note to anyone who seems cool.

Based on my web travels, some things I'd probably look out for in the pics on a dating site would be pics where there's someone cut out of it and that someone seems very close based on their positioning as if it was possibly an ex. I'd wonder a few things about that.
1) Why is the only picture you have/want to put up one that's not just of you by yourself? Are you never alone? Do you only exist as half of a duo and dissolve into a spectre the rest of the day? Have you never done anything where you were the focus rather than being a part of a group? In the age of camera phones and web cams, I can't imagine you weren't able to procure a "selfie". Do you need to convince people that you have a social life or had a love life prior by only posting pics of you with other people? Meow meow meow meow meow?

2) Is there some reason why you cropped it so that a good third or half of that other person is visible when you're positioned in such a way that you could have easily cropped/blacked that person out entirely without cutting out any of yourself? Do you want people to ask you who that other person is so you'll have an excuse to talk about them? Meow meow MEOW MEOW?
And profiles where there's a very prominent feature in every single pic they put up, but the person either doesn't mention it at all or totally deflects from it.

I was scrolling through profiles with my buddy and we got to one with this guy where he had about seven pics up and in each one, it was just him with a baby. Feeding the baby in one, playing with the baby in another, kissing the baby in the next, pushing the baby in a stroller in the next, etc.

In his profile, the first thing he said was that the baby was his brother's kid, not his. It's good that he clarified since I think the average person would assume that was his kid, but questions remain.
1) If this isn't even your son, why the heck is your relationship with him how you're choosing to identify yourself on a dating site? Are you trying to show that you're great with kids because you desperately want one and only want women who desperately want one to contact you? Because you could just say that, meow.

2) Are you the baby's guardian because your brother is too effed up in some way to take care of him? Is there some drama? Is he dead? If not, why are you spending so much time with his kid that you not only keep but display pictures of all of those moments on a public website? Why is your brother not in any of them? Who is taking the pictures in the first place? Are you asking them to or are they just obsessed? Are you spending too much time all up in your bro's house, meow? Do you eat babies?
If you have ten pictures up and in each one, you're standing next to a different boat on a harbor, explain to me why you're all up in boat faces and whatnot. Do you sail? Are you a crabber? Is that even a term? Do you want me to go fishing for information? And if someone asks you about the boats, don't just brush it off all Oh, I didn't even notice that I was standing next to a boat in all of my pictures. No, I don't have anything to do with boats because what?

Ya' know. Just to name a few.
I <3 u so hard, right now! A truly hilarious post... I needed that

Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
That's about how I'd do it if I went on a dating site. Filter by location, then filter by only people with a picture, then read the profiles of anyone I find attractive and shoot a note to anyone who seems cool.

Face is where it's at.

Based on my web travels, some things I'd probably look out for in the pics on a dating site would be pics where there's someone cut out of it and that someone seems very close based on their positioning as if it was possibly an ex. I'd wonder a few things about that.
1) Why is the only picture you have/want to put up one that's not just of you by yourself? Are you never alone? Do you only exist as half of a duo and dissolve into a spectre the rest of the day? Have you never done anything where you were the focus rather than being a part of a group? In the age of camera phones and web cams, I can't imagine you weren't able to procure a "selfie". Do you need to convince people that you have a social life or had a love life prior by only posting pics of you with other people? Meow meow meow meow meow?

2) Is there some reason why you cropped it so that a good third or half of that other person is visible when you're positioned in such a way that you could have easily cropped/blacked that person out entirely without cutting out any of yourself? Do you want people to ask you who that other person is so you'll have an excuse to talk about them? Meow meow MEOW MEOW?
And profiles where there's a very prominent feature in every single pic they put up, but the person either doesn't mention it at all or totally deflects from it.

I was scrolling through profiles with my buddy and we got to one with this guy where he had about seven pics up and in each one, it was just him with a baby. Feeding the baby in one, playing with the baby in another, kissing the baby in the next, pushing the baby in a stroller in the next, etc.

In his profile, the first thing he said was that the baby was his brother's kid, not his. It's good that he clarified since I think the average person would assume that was his kid, but questions remain.
1) If this isn't even your son, why the heck is your relationship with him how you're choosing to identify yourself on a dating site? Are you trying to show that you're great with kids because you desperately want one and only want women who desperately want one to contact you? Because you could just say that, meow.

2) Are you the baby's guardian because your brother is too effed up in some way to take care of him? Is there some drama? Is he dead? If not, why are you spending so much time with his kid that you not only keep but display pictures of all of those moments on a public website? Why is your brother not in any of them? Who is taking the pictures in the first place? Are you asking them to or are they just obsessed? Are you spending too much time all up in your bro's house, meow? Do you eat babies?
If you have ten pictures up and in each one, you're standing next to a different boat on a harbor, explain to me why you're all up in boat faces and whatnot. Do you sail? Are you a crabber? Is that even a term? Do you want me to go fishing for information? And if someone asks you about the boats, don't just brush it off all Oh, I didn't even notice that I was standing next to a boat in all of my pictures. No, I don't have anything to do with boats because what?

Ya' know. Just to name a few.
You forgot to mention the ones in bathrooms with no shirt on and urinal in the background, "looking for a girl with class" (for future couples pics in the bathroom?)

And what about the ones with a cowboy hat but no horse - do they want to tell us they wanna do the cowgirl thingy?

And the ones in a hot tub hugging other dudes - is that an invitation for a gang bang?

And the ones who want to get your insecurity up - picture hugging a super hot blonde and the title underneath said "my best friend" or "my coworker".

And let's not forget the guys who claim to be super rich. They are looking "for a girl that is not interested in my wealth" but then they have a pic taken in a nasty neighborhood or in a cheap looking kitchen with brown Homedepot cabinets and cheap white appliances. Who are they kidding?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM

Advice:

If you see a picture of a 40 year old who looks REALLY good for his age: That means, the pic was taken 10-15 years ago and he either gained ALOT of weight and/or lost all his hair.

Trick: Ask for a recent pic.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
The trick is to make sure that if they take a selfie in the bathroom, to be sure that the toilet is flushed, I saw a pic where a woman was taking a selfie and you could see a log bobbin about in the toilet.

I hope to god it was just a photo shopped deal, otherwise, could you imagine how embarrassing that would be??

Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM

I would have sent her a message saying "hey, how can you look so pretty when you flinch? That stench from that poop behind you must be overwhelming".

Old 03-05-2014, 11:37 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
I never could understand the bathroom selfie phenomena. How can you be too embarrassed to have a friend take a picture of you for a dating site, but not be embarrassed enough to make your first impression on a possible date you toilet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships