Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I have found that some people generally have a negativity bias to almost everything in the world. It's like they perceive the world as a place out to get them, so they are constantly defensive and alert to slights. They can change but it takes work.
And I was married 14 years to a person like that, now my ex. It was exhausting. If someone parked in front of our house he would stomp around hollering "why do they have to pick our house to park in front of. I don't want to look at that stupid car all day".

I wish you luck.

Lol, same here. 14 draining years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Ugh. People like this, cynical people, are very fearful people. A cynic protects his fragile ego from disappointment by attacking everything around him FIRST. It's a "get you before you get me" defense mechanism. When I was younger I thought I could fix this type of person, and I felt good about being a ray of sunshine in their otherwise miserable, close-minded existence. But I learned the hard way by getting the life sucked out of me by one of these people.

Present day, I can't stand people like this because they are essentially stubborn, spoiled brats. They take no personal responsibility and CHOOSE to b*tch and moan about everything. They don't actually want to change, they just want to complain and coerce other people to tend to their needs.

RUN from these people because all they want is attention, while having NO intention of fixing what's broken within themselves. He will just keep you stuck, because he refuses to grow.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Ugh. People like this, cynical people, are very fearful people. A cynic protects his fragile ego from disappointment by attacking everything around him FIRST. It's a "get you before you get me" defense mechanism. When I was younger I thought I could fix this type of person, and I felt good about being a ray of sunshine in their otherwise miserable, close-minded existence. But I learned the hard way by getting the life sucked out of me by one of these people.

Present day, I can't stand people like this because they are essentially stubborn, spoiled brats. They take no personal responsibility and CHOOSE to b*tch and moan about everything. They don't actually want to change, they just want to complain and coerce other people to tend to their needs.

RUN from these people because all they want is attention, while having NO intention of fixing what's broken within themselves. He will just keep you stuck, because he refuses to grow.
hmmm... so there's no hope??

Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
I guess the way I think about this is that you made your bed and now you get to sleep in it.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Lol, same here. 14 draining years!
Isn't freedom great?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Not really, unless he believes and realizes there is a problem and WANTS to change.

It's a passive-aggressive way of getting everyone around you to COME QUICKLY, focus on ME and solve MY problem.

Totally SELF-centered, which makes a BAD marriage partner.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
He needs to get into therapy. His cynicism is probably deeply ingrained in his personality, and probably helped him cope with the dysfunctional family he grew up in. My ex was the same way.

If he doesn't get into therapy and at least gain some insight into how his negative attitude affects you, as well as the quality of his life, he will just continue with the same behavior. He needs reality pointed out to him by a licensed professional - then he won't be able to argue the validity of the advice.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not really, unless he believes and realizes there is a problem and WANTS to change.

It's a passive-aggressive way of getting everyone around you to COME QUICKLY, focus on ME and solve MY problem.

oh wow...well, we will definitely have to talk about this...I don't want to do the "D" word...not unless we have tried every iption & have tried to get each other on track.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Like I said, therapy can help, but getting a person like this to go to therapy is always a challenge.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Consider yourself 100+ rep'd!

The tricky thing about these people is they appeal to the nurturer and caretaker within us. They complain and snipe and fall apart, and we come right to their rescue, thinking we're doing a good thing by "making it better". But the joke is on us.

The key is to learn to focus on and value your OWN needs and not base your worth on how well you can make another person happy - otherwise you will continue to attract emotional/energy leeches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships