Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:59 AM

324 posts, read 407,318 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your response. It's just that when I talk to him, he sounds like the nicest man in the world. He has forgiven his wife from the affair and he is now helping out the wife's family with errands like taking the wife's grandfather to the hospital.

We did meet online but we have a lot of real life friends in common and they only have good things to say about him. But then he is good at keeping a happy facade (eg he chose to hide his wife's infidelity to protect her reputation and because he does not want a broken family) so I don't know what else he could be hiding.

I was very affected when I first found out his wife cheated on him because I felt like life was being unfair when bad things happen to good people. But now I don't lose sleep over his problems anymore like I used to.

What really defines an emotional affair? If one reads through our communication it's just normal conversation as friends do. We just enjoy talking to each other and have so much in common. He also helped me go through a rough period in my life last week when an ex's GF went psycho on me. My married guy friend had to call a common friend with my ex to help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 AM

11,788 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
Thanks everyone for your response. It's just that when I talk to him, he sounds like the nicest man in the world. He has forgiven his wife from the affair and he is now helping out the wife's family with errands like taking the wife's grandfather to the hospital.

We did meet online but we have a lot of real life friends in common and they only have good things to say about him. But then he is good at keeping a happy facade (eg he chose to hide his wife's infidelity to protect her reputation and because he does not want a broken family) so I don't know what else he could be hiding.

I was very affected when I first found out his wife cheated on him because I felt like life was being unfair when bad things happen to good people. But now I don't lose sleep over his problems anymore like I used to.

What really defines an emotional affair? If one reads through our communication it's just normal conversation as friends do. We just enjoy talking to each other and have so much in common. He also helped me go through a rough period in my life last week when an ex's GF went psycho on me. My married guy friend had to call a common friend with my ex to help me.
Does his wife know about you?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I wonder about that too

Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM

11,788 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I wonder about that too
I have a guess about that. With all the talk and debate about opposite-sex friendships here, I think most can agree that a friendship in secret is not okay.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:26 PM

You do realize that any married man is "off limits" emotionally and physically, and he realizes that as a married man, you are "off limits" emotionally and physically no matter what the situation is... right?

If I was his wife, and he had a secret relationship with you, and I found out that the two of you were secretly friends, I would not be happy, and I would let you know that.

The difference with me is this... I would not have any type of affair.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Quote:
I wonder about that too
No.

Once when we were texting late, past 11 pm, this went on for hours. I asked him if his wife minds that he is on the phone at that time. He said she is right beside him in bed but she is busy with facebook. Later on I found out that during that time, the wife was busy with the boss (whom she had an affair with) on facebook that's why she was oblivious with her husband texting at that time. He said his wife would not mind us communicating if she met me already since she trusts him a lot and knows that he is not the type to cheat. There are women that flirt with him at work but his wife just shrugs it off (they used to work together). It seems like he does not have any plans of meeting up with me anymore since I turned him down twice. I guess he's keeping me around as his sounding board

I don't initiate contact with him and he communicates with me less now. I guess he will completely disappear once his marriage is fixed. It's very difficult for me to tell him straight to stop contacting me. I don't want him to think that I assume that he has an attraction for me when we are only friends.

Quote:
You do realize that any married man is "off limits" emotionally and physically, and he realizes that as a married man, you are "off limits" emotionally and physically no matter what the situation is... right?

If I was his wife, and he had a secret relationship with you, and I found out that the two of you were secretly friends, I would not be happy, and I would let you know that.

The difference with me is this... I would not have any type of affair.
This guy really confuses me because he really makes me feel that we are nothing more but friends.

Last edited by cosmic_girl; 03-30-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 PM

All 3 of you are in the wrong for different reasons.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
My question I would ask is why he is/was waiting to confront his wife?

If I discovered my wife cheating, you can best believe I'm going to be confronting her about it immediately!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
My question I would ask is why he is/was waiting to confront his wife?

If I discovered my wife cheating, you can best believe I'm going to be confronting her about it immediately!
He wanted the advise of a professional on how to deal with the problem. He was supposed to wait until after counselling to confront the wife, but it was scheduled almost 2 weeks after he found out about the affair. But he was not able to wait that long and confronted the wife 4 days after (He found out Monday and confronted on Friday).

They went to counselling together and the counsellor said he was the first cheated person not to exhibit any sign of anger The wife and boss sit next to each other at work and neither resigned. I hope the affair really ended or that it will not happen again. I feel bad for my friend, he really worships the ground his wife walks on.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,765 times
Just let him spend the night already so he can get his rewards and leave you alone.

There is so many out of line and straight up disrespectful things being shared back and forth...tell him to handle his martial issues with the person they concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships