Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:48 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times

Advertisements

I do it all the time. I meet a lot of people that way, but never met anyone lasting (friend or boyfriend). For example, I might go to a movie alone and meet a guy standing in line to watch the same movie and I will talk to him, maybe sit with him, etc, etc... but always, after the movie we've gone our separate ways.

I've heard that it's easier for guys to approach a woman alone... it's less intimidating as they are only facing one woman, not standing before a "committee" of girlfriends.

As for friends, others mentioned Meetup.com groups. That's the best way I found to make new friends. It can be hit or miss though. It took me a few groups before I found one I fit in well. But I did find one.

Anyway, short answer... it's easy to go out alone... and kind of fun. But don't forget safety 101 that all women have to do. When I go out alone, I don't drink at all. Also, I am more aware of my surroundings and such and take extra precautions (for example, I park in well trafficked areas). I also always tell someone I am going out and will call when I get back. I have a relative that doesn't mind that I do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 05:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times
OP, are you gonna be one of those girls who sits by herself all night and then gets mad when no one comes up to?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
OP, are you gonna be one of those girls who sits by herself all night and then gets mad when no one comes up to?
You know.. he has a point. Sometimes it does happen where go out alone and don't meet up with anyone--you have an off night. You need to take the initiative if you want to meet people I think. But also, don't take it personally if you don't meet anyone. Just try to enjoy yourself and your own company.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 7,642 times

No, I am ok with going out alone, so it doesn't really matter. I love to explore different restaurants and when someone isn't available, I will check them out myself for a quick bite. I don't sit there for 5 hours alone. I am usually in and out in 1.5-2 hours max. I usually get approached though. Some just turned out to be fun to talk to for an hour and that was that, and that's fine too. I am just looking to broaden my horizons. Maybe I will try a meetup event too once it's warmer in this polar ice cap called NY.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
This is a serious non issue.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 7,642 times
I think it is awesome that you have the courage to go out alone.

My friends are all married and just stay home, I am mid 30's also.

I went to single meetup groups and met undateable, desperate guys (don't ask) and nice, great women there. We looked around and all had a horrified look in our eyes. Then we looked at each other, laughend and sat together, having a girls night.

We decided that you need a partner in crime and now we go out together. I have also found quality women to hang out with on craigslist - but you need alot of patience here, lots of weirdos and flakes you have to weed through.

Too bad you live on the other side of the US, you would totally fit to our little group.

Aaaw, thanks.....I feel warm and fuzzy inside. Luckily, it is normal to go out alone in NYC. I just do after work things and nothing too late, as I feel too many drinks can cause a problem.

I got dragged to one of those singles events too and it reeked of desperation. It was sad. And I tried on- line dating a few years ago and it was awful....way too many picky men who had no right to be picky, and so many serial daters. I looked recently and saw some of the same people from 5 years ago still on the site. Not my cup of tea. I enjoy going out and being social.

I'm glad you found some pals to go out with. I still have a few left myself.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I'm not single, but I go out/travel alone. I went out for dinner last night, sitting at a bar alone because my SO was working and I needed to unwind.

If anyone else finds that odd.....uh, so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships