Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times

Advertisements

I cam across this and of course I thought of y'all .

I'm going to quote a tiny piece, less than 1%, of this lengthy interview, because I think that is what the TOS here allow. But I recommend the whole thing!

Quote:
MM: Men find this very confusing.
EP: Some do. But on the other hand... men [could] see it as an invitation, that they can have multiple parts of themselves in a relationship too–that they don’t have to choose one or the other. They are the nice guy or they are the bad boy. That actually gives men the possibility to inhabit many different roles in the relationship and in one person.
She talks in depth about why women want their man to be both, and what that means, and how liberating it is for men.

From Unlocking Erotic Intelligence: Advice from Esther Perel | Psychology Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Read a lengthy interview she did with the magazine The Sun late last year-
The Sun Magazine | A More Perfect Union

These were the few notes I took on that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by article excerpts
"In order for a relationship to last, it is indispensable for it to have enemies. Monogamy can’t exist as a a choice without them.”

“What you want is a balance between denial and delusion.”

“...partly because we can only play at something that isn’t an aspect of our everyday condition. That is the central ingredient for the imagination.”

“People used to feel guilty for having sex; now we feel guilty for not having it. Both are tyrannies.”

“Infidelity: historically condemned, universally practiced.”

“Foregone conclusions do not keep our interest.”
I'll go & check out the PT article now, thanks for the link.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
I've read some of it, but so far it's a very interesting read!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Sometimes women don't know what they want themselves (or men too for that matter), lol.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
It makes sense our society is based on instent graditude which i can see could cause troubles. Idk, my opinion that to only reason people cheat is they give up.

As for nice guy / bad boy? Its nice guy in public, open doors for you, treat you like queen. Then at home its bad boy with teasing, flurting and earth shattering, hanging by the rafters sex lol.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
People may want contradictory things, incl. from each other, in a partner/relationship-for instance, security and excitement (or "nice guy" and "bad boy" behavior).

Having a desire for security or for excitement (and those were just one example of virtues at odds with each other) isn't bad or good, but sometimes one comes at the cost of the other.
Some people have a strong abiding preference for one over the other, and some people may cycle back and forth between which they prioritize/favor.

Both men and women want to be appreciated and valued on many levels-as physical beings, as emotional creatures, as friends, lovers, family members, and/or colleagues.

People's roles also change over time, for various reasons, so someone can go from behaving in one extreme direction toward the opposite extreme.
Finding a balance or compromise between extremes (of behavioral "types") can be difficult to achieve/maintain in oneself (or with another person).

Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I've been together with a very few women who were able to make a very deep emotional connection through sex during a one night stand. I married one...the last about 17 years ago. It's still there.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

As for nice guy / bad boy? Its nice guy in public, open doors for you, treat you like queen. Then at home its bad boy with teasing, flurting and earth shattering, hanging by the rafters sex lol.
I told my husband why he is the opposite of what you said or you know usual nice guy in public, beat you in the house...

My husband when we are alone treats me like a queen always breakfast in bed, just overall sweet and nice. But when we're out with his friends he is a total Ahole. That was why we fought the last time that is why I told him I will be a biatch in front of his friends next time and see how he like it.

I hate Aholes so that is why we fight. He said we have not fought for awhile and I told him we only fight when he is an Ahole.

I guess my husband is doing it right by being bipolar? LOL. I disagree. I know what I want and that is a gentleman, ALWAYS!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM

663 posts, read 777,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
I told my husband why he is the opposite of what you said or you know usual nice guy in public, beat you in the house...

My husband when we are alone treats me like a queen always breakfast in bed, just overall sweet and nice. But when we're out with his friends he is a total Ahole. That was why we fought the last time that is why I told him I will be a biatch in front of his friends next time and see how he like it.

I hate Aholes so that is why we fight. He said we have not fought for awhile and I told him we only fight when he is an Ahole.

I guess my husband is doing it right by being bipolar? LOL. I disagree. I know what I want and that is a gentleman, ALWAYS!
You say that now but when you actually get a "gentlemen" you are gonna divorce him because you will be "bored" of him or "lost attraction".

Happens every single time.

Kudos to your husband being an ahole in public....it's why you haven't divorced him. He is keeping the spice alive.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Is it really about being an ahole? If anything, I think it's having a backbone and standing up for yourself. Fights happen because someone is denying to folding under pressure. Everyone fights, just the frequency of those fights is the difference. My best friend and his wife fight way too much for my liking, but it seems to be what keeps them together and extremely sexual. Different strokes for different folks.

For me, I want respect. I want love too, but I can deal with less love for a lot more respect. The job doesn't get done with love, but it does get done with respect. In return, I'm willing to love my partner the way that she wants to be loved. I just want her to respect me and not undermine everything I do or say. It's not about control, but two people trying to accomodate each other and still have their own identities.

Likely, for all guys we want the lady in the streets but a freak in the sheets. That is true for me at least. Nothing bores me more than a woman who's rather sexually prudish. It doesn't make her a bad woman, but we just aren't sexually compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships