Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Have you had relationships in which you waited until you were comfortable taking that next step and didn't do it out of some sense of obligation/expectation?
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a form of self-sabotage. You're spoiling your own fun with your projections and apprehensions. Anyone with the integrity and caring that you're looking for would be open to discussing the issue when it comes up. And it may not for awhile. It's not fair to the other person for your to assume things about him.
You're right, I shouldn't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
When I was in the dating looking for a husband phase, I usually ended up making my position that I was waiting until marriage very clear when the sexual chemistry began flying in a make-out session. I mean I didn't make it clear right then, but shortly after. I didn't want to mislead, nor did I want to form much emotional connection to a man who just wasn't on the same page as I was on. I dated quite a few men short term until I found my husband and that worked out just fine for me. I'd rather cut someone loose as soon as possible if we were not compatible in that regard or for any other reason -- if I was dating with an eye for marriage -- because I'd consider it a waste of both of our time. Of course there's always the men who claim they are on the same page, but begin pressuring. The moment the pressure started up I cut them loose.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:23 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm not waiting for marriage. I just don't like feeling like I'm expected to have sex with someone within the first few weeks/months of knowing them. I think it's a reasonable expectation after maybe 3-6 months.
Then don't. Do what feels comfortable for you.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Just let them beg, SLS, let them beg, I say.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Just let them beg, SLS, let them beg, I say.
It's not my intention to torture the men I date.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:13 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
If that's the case, how did people fall for each other and got engaged without having sex first in the past?
In the past, like now, most people didn't.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Just a wild guess: because they would rather have sex and not be married?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
I don't feel like every guy I've dated expected sex early. I just gather from the things that I hear that the "norm" for non-religious adults is early sex, so this is at the back of my mind when I meet someone. For example, I have a 4th date coming up with a guy I just met and he's attractive and seems nice and all, but I'm not ready to get naked with him. Some would see that as a problem.
It isn't a problem for you, and that's all that matters. Even for me it isn't a "problem," as in, it isn't "wrong" to wait until X date to share physical intimacy. However, if there is intense chemistry from the get-go, a genuine connection, then physical intimacy, in my experience, is bound to happen early on, within the fist few dates.

I've fallen in love with my last few partners before meeting in person. With the first we waited about 4-5 dates within a two week time frame. The second, since we were LD we weren't physically intimate until six weeks in, and guess what? It left me feeling like something was missing. He was crazy about me, and I had feelings for him. However, what I expected from intimacy, a deep sense of connectedness, he wasn't quite familiar or experienced with. Sex to him was not a bonding or emotional experience. It was more mechanical, and I needed, desired, more, so it felt off for me. Even as things progressed and we lived together briefly, the sex remained the same, mechanical and devoid of that intense and intimate bond. (and I'm not talking simply "making love," the sex can be rough/raw and still be incredibly passionate and intimate) So the intimacy just wasn't right for me, and that would have become a big problem, because it was already a problem. Who wants to "work on" their sex life during the early part of a relationship or marriage? That should already be in place.

I've run into this before with partners before and after. They're good when it comes to mechanics, but something deeper, well, that's missing, and these are older and some pretty experienced men. Actually, my *best* partners had the fewest partners. Imagine that.

The third gentleman, we were also briefly LD when we got involved. However, I sensed an intimacy, a connectedness, with him that told me it would be amazing. Our views on intimacy and what we desired were identical, and our chemistry and the level of intimacy we shared even before the physical intimacy was intense. And guess what, the physical intimacy was amazing. I'm all about sensuality, touch, affection, and the nuances of various forms of intimacy, and this was something he understood because he never quite experienced it in the way he desired.

I get what you're asking, why aren't people willing to wait for sex as they are willing to wait for marriage. For me, with the right person, I don't need to wait as long as he is on the same page.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've fallen in love with my last few partners before meeting in person. With the first we waited about 4-5 dates within a two week time frame. The second, since we were LD we weren't physically intimate until six weeks in, and guess what? It left me feeling like something was missing. He was crazy about me, and I had feelings for him. However, what I expected from intimacy, a deep sense of connectedness, he wasn't quite familiar or experienced with. Sex to him was not a bonding or emotional experience. It was more mechanical, and I needed, desired, more, so it felt off for me.
Interesting. I think of sex as being mechanical too (in a bad way) which is why I don't really have an interest in doing it. I've never gotten to the point where I felt any kind of deep emotions for someone that would make me want to do it and I'm not interested on a superficial "I'm just horny" level either.

I just don't think of sex as fun. I know it is for other people, but it's not my idea of fun, so that's really the reason why I'd rather put it off. My thinking was that after 3-6 months, maybe I'd feel more incentive to do it, but probably not. So I might as well just go ahead and do it early or just forget about it. Whatever motivation I'm waiting for that'll make me want to do it just never happens.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Interesting. I think of sex as being mechanical too (in a bad way) which is why I don't really have an interest in doing it. I've never gotten to the point where I felt any kind of deep emotions for someone that would make me want to do it and I'm not interested on a superficial "I'm just horny" level either.

I just don't think of sex as fun. I know it is for other people, but it's not my idea of my fun, so that's really the reason why I'd rather put it off. My thinking was that after 3-6 months, maybe I'd feel more incentive to do it, but probably not. So I might as well just go ahead and do it early or just forget about it. Whatever motivation I'm waiting for that'll make me want to do it just never happens.
That's how you think of sex, or feel? Is that the way it has felt in the past?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships