U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM

86,383 posts, read 79,500,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
So, I vetted a pic here for my online profile with dismal results. I learned I'm an ugly guy...but...but...there is nothing wrong with that.
THIS has got to be one of the most winning lines I've ever read on C-D! With that attitude, you'll go far, OP.
It reminds me of the short-guy poster, "AdaptAndOvercome", who said that the flack society throws at him for being short and black only stimulates him to rise above it and "become great". Wow. The Anti-Whiners. The world needs more of those. More power to you, OP. Dare to be yourself!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM

15,085 posts, read 12,701,496 times
Did you want to leave in the spelling mistakes?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 PM

47,531 posts, read 63,230,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
THIS has got to be one of the most winning lines I've ever read on C-D! With that attitude, you'll go far, OP.
It reminds me of the short-guy poster, "AdaptAndOvercome", who said that the flack society throws at him for being short and black only stimulates him to rise above it and "become great". Wow. The Anti-Whiners. The world needs more of those. More power to you, OP. Dare to be yourself!
He's not ugly though -- the first picture he put up was not flattering at all, the second one almost could have been but it wasn't a good setting.

Smaller pictures, maybe outdoors in natural light would work better, this profile is a start -- some parts are good, others need work.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 PM

16,409 posts, read 27,611,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They weren't flattering --- everyone has less than perfect pictures but most people post their more flattering ones.
Agreed, I mean if he were to get normal looking pictures and then re-wording almost his entire profile he'd probably do quite well online.

However, if he keeps a poem .. talks about hating everything except his choices in just about everything and puts up those pictures of him looking into a mirror or standing all awkward... he's going to do pretty bad.

It's like me going out in pajamas and dorito stains on my hooded sweatshirt. No way in hell am I going to pick up any decent women.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM

1,745 posts, read 987,126 times
i would get rid of the poem honestly.
you don't watch movies unless by a specific dude? really? is that a joke?
smokes? nope...major turnoff for me
doesn't want kids. i know that you are being honest and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but i would imagine a lot of women will keep going when they read that. i know i would if i were still in my 20's & 30's.
and the won't read anything that isn't certified classic is odd. i guess if you are just being honest, that's cool. but it seems a weird thing to me.

those are just some things that stood out to me. i think because as someone else mentioned, it makes you seem close minded. like you only like specific things and won't bend. that's not good.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 PM

957 posts, read 900,176 times
I do fairly well on online dating (At getting dates - I'm to shy and awkward to get through the dates though!)

I just have a stupid profile, 5-6 pictures.. 2 are closeups, a full body one, and the rest are pics of snowboarding or hiking.

Here's a copy/paste from it. It's short and to the point but I don't seem to have any problems..

"Hello, I'm 30 years old and my name is Marshall. I'm originally from B.C. and have lived in Vail for a few years now. It's an amazing place to live, Colorado has a lot to offer!

Lifestyle: Middle class, Engineer/PM. I enjoy my career but I try to focus more on enjoying life. I love snowboarding, biking, rafting and spending time with my friends.

Wordview: Live and let live, mind one's own business. Diversity is beauty. Check your guns and religion at the door, please.

Philosophy: Take the road less traveled, regret is a useless emotion, have a measure of sympathy for your fellow man, and do what feels good - just don't foist it on your neighbor. Have some taste! I enjoy my life and try to have fun everyday, you should too!

Music: I like anything that's catchy! I mostly listen to bands like The White Stripes, Silversun Pickups, Smashing Pumpkins, Modest Mouse, CKY, Etc."

Then I just fill out the stupid questions those dating profiles ask, favorite books, movies etc.. Never a huge list and I change it from time to time.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
doesn't want kids. i know that you are being honest and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but i would imagine a lot of women will keep going when they read that. i know i would if i were still in my 20's & 30's.
That's the point. He wants most women to skip him, and just the ones who know they don't want kids to respond.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 PM

1,745 posts, read 987,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's the point. He wants most women to skip him, and just the ones who know they don't want kids to respond.
i realize that. i'm just giving a reason to why he might not be getting as many bites as he is hoping for. nothing wrong with stating that you don't want kids and you don't want to be with anyone who wants kids. i am certainly not saying he should change that! just giving my opinion on why he may be getting passed on.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i realize that. i'm just giving a reason to why he might not be getting as many bites as he is hoping for. nothing wrong with stating that you don't want kids and you don't want to be with anyone who wants kids. i am certainly not saying he should change that! just giving my opinion on why he may be getting passed on.
Good point. If he's expecting to get a good number of hits, he needs to adjust his expectations, given the narrow demographic he's aiming for. If he wants more hits, he can either spread himself around different dating sites, or change his parameters. But then he'd end up hearing from women who want kids.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM

15,085 posts, read 12,701,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I do fairly well on online dating (At getting dates - I'm to shy and awkward to get through the dates though!)

I just have a stupid profile, 5-6 pictures.. 2 are closeups, a full body one, and the rest are pics of snowboarding or hiking.

Here's a copy/paste from it. It's short and to the point but I don't seem to have any problems..

"Hello, I'm 30 years old and my name is Marshall. I'm originally from B.C. and have lived in Vail for a few years now. It's an amazing place to live, Colorado has a lot to offer!

Lifestyle: Middle class, Engineer/PM. I enjoy my career but I try to focus more on enjoying life. I love snowboarding, biking, rafting and spending time with my friends.

Wordview: Live and let live, mind one's own business. Diversity is beauty. Check your guns and religion at the door, please.

Philosophy: Take the road less traveled, regret is a useless emotion, have a measure of sympathy for your fellow man, and do what feels good - just don't foist it on your neighbor. Have some taste! I enjoy my life and try to have fun everyday, you should too!

Music: I like anything that's catchy! I mostly listen to bands like The White Stripes, Silversun Pickups, Smashing Pumpkins, Modest Mouse, CKY, Etc."

Then I just fill out the stupid questions those dating profiles ask, favorite books, movies etc.. Never a huge list and I change it from time to time.
I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or