Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,150 times

Advertisements

I'm in a difficult position b/c the salary I earn is substantially high...very high. Unfortunately, there aren't many men (outside of my field) who earn more than me. It's just a fact.

That being said, I'd ideally always like my husband to earn more than me, but I know this will not happen(... this has more to do with my desire to eventually work part time and spend more time at home with the kids). .

I'd be happy with a man who earns, at the very least, $50k-$75k/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe it "seems" that way because it IS that way

Haven't you seen in a different thread the sobering stats from the OKC blog which showed in living color the drought of interest experienced by low-iincome men over 23? And the idea that those guys should go die in a fire?

http://www.oktrendsblog.com/index.ph...omment-page-4/

These bold colors contain a subtle message: if you're a young guy and don't make much money, cool. If you're 23 or older and don't make much money, go die in a fire.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:51 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,594 times
your average 20-something woman won't have the luxury of knowing what her SO's mid-career income will be (if we assume she and the dude are similar ages). most people aren't thinking about settling down for the first time in their 30s and 40s....

to answer the question i consider us a partnership. it doesn't matter who contributes what as long as we are both happy and our basic needs are met. as a unit we'd need maybe $50-$70k a year to get by? I'm not totally sure since we make more than that now. obviously there are expenses we could cut out and i have no idea how that number will change when we have kids.

i would be annoyed if i were working my ass off to make ends meet for us and he wasn't even trying but that goes for any aspect of the relationship. similarly if i could support our family on my income and he wasn't happy with his job i would encourage him to consider staying at home instead. our time is much more valuable to me than extra cash.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Because it tells me he is likely uneducated and underachieving.

Likely /= is.

Exactly what or how much do you expect someone with a non-STEM degree and a dead-end job to achieve?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Apparently you're not aware of the trend of women marrying down in financial status. I certainly did, and was the primary breadwinner by far in my marriage. Too bad he felt that entitled him to life as a perpetual student.
The fact that more women are becoming primary breadwinners makes it a bit harder for men to attract women to get married/settle down with. When it's just dating or sex, financial status doesn't matter as much, but for serious relationships money matters. There is probably a correlation of the increase of women's income with the increased age of getting married, because more women prefer the man to make just as much if not more than her. Eventually a woman will have to settle for a guy making less than her because there just aren't enough men out there who has the income.

There's a few guys at my work who are married to women who make more than them, and a few of the wives want the guys to leave my company to actually get a career and earn more money. Not all, but some.

When the income disparity is so great, I do think resentment builds up and the wives might start second guessing the choice of husband they chose.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Likely /= is.

Exactly what or how much do you expect someone with a non-STEM degree and a dead-end job to achieve?
Something beyond fast food or retail.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why would a woman with her own money go out less often once she started dating someone who was making a lower salary than her? Does it reduce her income too?
I'll give you one example I can think of right now. My friend was dating a girl who was making twice as much as he did. She always wanted to go on vacations because she had the money too. Him on the other hand did not have the disposable income to go as often. She also preferred to dine out more often but he just did not have the finances to keep up with her lifestyle. They eventually broke up but one of the reasons was money.

Unless the girl doesn't mind paying the majority of the time and the guy is okay with that, yeah it can work.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,099 times
71% of persons age 25 to 64 make 50K or less (2010).

File:Age personal income.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For men, it'd probably be more like 60%. But for men around 35-43, it'd be more like 75%.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM

368 posts, read 577,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Enough to support himself so that he isn't drowning in debt or expects me to constantly loan him money.

I don't want to have kids and I have my own money and my own job so money is not as big of a concern for me. I care more about penis size.
Nothing more unattractive than that.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,038 times
This thread dispels the exact reason why so many American men are fed up with American women. Women got their total equal rights and in many areas have far surpassed men with golden opportunities abundant. Yet, they still have their little list of minimal requirements the man must meet before considering a life with him. It's the ole cake and eating it too scenario.

It's why many men use you for sex, use you for a short fun fling and then marry a foreign woman later on down the road who still hold some form of traditional values.

I'm not being overly critical of women, but this is the playing field you've all created. And at the end of the day, to a man, American women are not any prettier, not any sexier, in fact usually the opposite, yet they stand with demand after demand after demand.

Any woman who comes along "feeling" out my financials, gets a few rounds of sex, (assuming I find her physically attracted) and then she gets left for the next sucker. Been there, done that and I refuse to date any woman after money. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships