Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 PM

589 posts, read 638,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
How do you know that I don't excel in other area's as well? You are making an assumption that this is my only quality. I take great care in not displaying my wealth, I don't drive my luxury sports sedan on dates instead I ride my bike and dress down a little. Why? I want a woman to be with me because of my personality not my wallet. And I have no problem meeting women, so I don't get the concern with my other qualities.

Because judging by your other posts in this thread, I have yet to see any other quality besides being hard-working. You said yourself you have to outearn your wife. Your words, not mine. That's a sign of insecurity. A truly confident man would have no issue and if his wife gave him a hard time about it, he would have the confidence to tell her to take a hike and find a woman who doesn't place such emphasis on income.

This is where we differ. Your self-esteem is based entirely on financial supplementation. If you can't supply money, you can't handle it; as seen by your posts. Me, I don't care if my girlfriend/wife earns more money. If she can't handle it, she's gone. Income is just one form of status. You can still earn status through good looks, popularity, fame, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Because judging by your other posts in this thread, I have yet to see any other quality besides being hard-working. You said yourself you have to outearn your wife. Your words, not mine. That's a sign of insecurity. A truly confident man would have no issue and if his wife gave him a hard time about it, he would have the confidence to tell her to take a hike and find a woman who doesn't place such emphasis on income.

This is where we differ. Your self-esteem is based entirely on financial supplementation. If you can't supply money, you can't handle it; as seen by your posts. Me, I don't care if my girlfriend/wife earns more money. If she can't handle it, she's gone. Income is just one form of status. You can still earn status through good looks, popularity, fame, etc.

I have to wonder what your motives are with this line of argument, other than it is beginning to look like you want a woman with a higher income potential than you have and you want to still feel like a man -- therefore, you are trying to poke holes at the more traditional way of life with the man feeling being responsible for financially supporting his family.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I have to wonder what your motives are with this line of argument, other than it is beginning to look like you want a woman with a higher income potential than you have and you want to still feel like a man -- therefore, you are trying to poke holes at the more traditional way of life with the man feeling being responsible for financially supporting his family.

I have to wonder what your motives are, given you offered no counter argument and accusing me of poking holes at traditional ways of life. He bases his entire worth as a man by how much money he makes. Saying that you would get a second job just so you can claim you make more money is nothing short of insecure, egotistical, and arrogant. I have no idea what you're trying to communicate. My point is my manhood is not threatened if my SO makes more money than me. That's not the only way to provide and if my SO has a problem with earning more money than me, then I can show her the door.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,088 times
Quote:

Again with this insecurity nonsense to describe everything that was traditional and mainstream at one point. Also if you look at the topic title says obviously we are discussing money here. I resent though that you didn't also mention my excellent grilling skills. A confident man doesn't really care what others think when it comes to his principles. The only reason I bother responding is because I don't like how one sided the discussions are in this section. And I certainly don't like people trying to ram down their lifestyle down my throat. I never once told someone in this section to live a different lifestyle.

Let's be honest here I haven't seen you on here until this thread yet you are already making assumptions about what my self esteem is based on? You don't even know me? Other than trying to put me down in some convoluted way and discrediting me what is the point of making such an argument?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Again with this insecurity nonsense to describe everything that was traditional and mainstream at one point. Also if you look at the topic title says obviously we are discussing money here. I resent though that you didn't also mention my excellent grilling skills. A confident man doesn't really care what others think when it comes to his principles. The only reason I bother responding is because I don't like how one sided the discussions are in this section. And I certainly don't like people trying to ram down their lifestyle down my throat. I never once told someone in this section to live a different lifestyle.

Multiple people are bring up insecurity because you are clearly insecure. "A confident man doesn't really care what others think when it comes to his principles". That is correct, but you do care because you have been getting defensive and accusing others of putting you down. Nothing here is one sided. People have opinions, people voice them. Just because the vast majority disagree with you, doesn't make things one sided. Disagreeing doesn't mean we're ramming things down your throat. People don't like your input not because they disagree, but because you're arrogant about it.

Quote:
Let's be honest here I haven't seen you on here until this thread yet you are
already making assumptions about what my self esteem is based on? You don't
even know me? Other than trying to put me down in some convoluted way and
discrediting me what is the point of making such an argument?

I don't have to make assumptions. The proof is in the pudding, my friend. I sure haven't put you down. I merely pointed out why your line of thinking is off and how providing doesn't stop at money. Now back to being a confident man, why do you keep going on and on in a defensive manner? That's not what a confident man does.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Quote:
I have to wonder what your motives are, given you offered no counter argument and accusing me of poking holes at traditional ways of life. He bases his entire worth as a man by how much money he makes. Saying that you would get a second job just so you can claim you make more money is nothing short of insecure, egotistical, and arrogant. I have no idea what you're trying to communicate. My point is my manhood is not threatened if my SO makes more money than me. That's not the only way to provide and if my SO has a problem with earning more money than me, then I can show her the door.
Honestly I have never seen a man spend time nagging another man before! Thus, it makes me wonder what you hidden agenda is.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Multiple people are bring up insecurity because you are clearly insecure. "A confident man doesn't really care what others think when it comes to his principles". That is correct, but you do care because you have been getting defensive and accusing others of putting you down.
Yes, sure let me sit here with my mouth taped shut and let you make baseless accusations just because you want to rationalize mooching off your woman. What type of stupid logic are you using now? This to me sounds very desperate on your part.

Quote:
Nothing here is one sided. People have opinions, people voice them. Just because the vast majority disagree with you, doesn't make things one sided. Disagreeing doesn't mean we're ramming things down your throat. People don't like your input not because they disagree, but because you're arrogant about it.

I don't care rather I am in the minority or the majority. These things don't matter to me this is an online forum in case you haven't noticed. I am just voicing my opinion too but somehow you have labeled that to be defensive.

Quote:
I don't have to make assumptions. The proof is in the pudding, my friend. I sure haven't put you down. I merely pointed out why your line of thinking is off and how providing doesn't stop at money. Now back to being a confident man, why do you keep going on and on in a defensive manner? That's not what a confident man does.
This is really nonsensical and I can't believe you are making such poor arguments. At this point you are just a broken record repeating the same nonsense.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
I apologize if I repeat anything. I skipped the posts when it went from income to penis size in less than a page.

For me, a man's income isn't as important as his willingness to work. I work hard, but don't make a lot of money. I would expect him to pull his load in the same fashion.

A relationship is supposed to be about making the effort together to be happy.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
This thread will close shortly if the two posters above continue to argue back and forth without actually contributing something insightful/constructive to the thread.

If you can, please PM each other to continue your discussion. I'd hate to see this thread closed prematurely.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
This thread will close shortly if the two posters above continue to argue back and forth without actually contributing something insightful/constructive to the thread.

If you can, please PM each other to continue your discussion. I'd hate to see this thread closed prematurely.
Fair enough I have said my peace anyway!

On a related note, this poll doesn't make sense thanks to everyone being in different locations. Cost of living is very high where I live and so are taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships